The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2019, 11:30 AM

Default Love my HD28, but...

I think I'm going to let it go. I've had it for a few years now, and the 1 11/16ths inch nut just isn't going to cut it for me. It took me a long time to come to this decision. I love the sound of this guitar, but the playability just isn't there. My little OM1 with it's Stratabond neck is wonderful to play at 1 3/4 inches!

So, I'm looking for a rosewood/spruce Martin dreadnought with a nut width of 1 3/4 inches that sounds as good as my HD28. Probably a tall order! Any recommendations? Something with good electronics would be a plus, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo View Post
I think I'm going to let it go. I've had it for a few years now, and the 1 11/16ths inch nut just isn't going to cut it for me. It took me a long time to come to this decision. I love the sound of this guitar, but the playability just isn't there. My little OM1 with it's Stratabond neck is wonderful to play at 1 3/4 inches!

So, I'm looking for a rosewood/spruce Martin dreadnought with a nut width of 1 3/4 inches that sounds as good as my HD28. Probably a tall order! Any recommendations? Something with good electronics would be a plus, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Thanks in advance!
Maybe you should look to trade your pre-2018 HD-28 for a new Reimagined HD-28 that has the MLO/PA 1 3/4 nut neck. There are still players out there that prefer the 1 11/16 nut Low Profile neck that you own.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

In my experience having owned a pre re-imagined HD-28 custom with the 1 3/4" nut and Adi top and a new re-imagined HD-28 the former is much better sounding. Nothing wrong with the newer one but it sounds thin compared to the older one IMO. If you're okay with the Mod-V neck a D-28 Marquis would be my first choice or a CS HD-28V with 1 3/4" nut?
All that said you might try the new 2018 HD-28...it might be to your liking. After all...one man's meat is another man's poison?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-09-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
If you can find a D-21 Special out there, it's almost the same instrument, minus the bling. 1.75" nut. Really lovely guitar.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I just got an 2018 HD-28 and it's fantastic. Especially at that price the forum sponsors (and others) will quote you. That said, the new D18 was pretty good too. I just preferred the rosewood and to me, it was worth the extra $400 bucks.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-09-2019 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 04-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Someone else mentioned it already but I can also suggest D-21 Special. Very much like the HD-28 but with rosewood finger board and bridge. Not sure how much difference that makes vs ebony but I am not perceptive enough to comment on nuances in tone. It sounded very much like HD-28 to me among the ones I tried. I never played the version you have (previous to the current reimagined, I assume), so cannot comment on that comparison.

I also like it for the simpler appointments and no aging toner, if cosmetics matter to you. There are still many NOS floating around out there from the 2017 run so you can probably find a nice bargain.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispscone View Post
If you can find a D-21 Special out there, it's almost the same instrument, minus the bling. 1.75" nut. Really lovely guitar.
I know nothing about this model. Does it have the forward shifted scalloped bracing like my HD28?
Old 04-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
In my experience having owned a pre re-imagined HD-28 custom with the 1 3/4" nut and Adi top and a new re-imagined HD-28 the former is much better sounding. Nothing wrong with the newer one but it sounds thin compared to the older one IMO. If you're okay with the Mod-V neck a D-28 Marquis would be my first choice or a CS HD-28V with 1 3/4" nut?
All that said you might try the new 2018 HD-28...it might be to your liking. After all...one man's meat is another man's poison?
Agree. I just don't care for the new HD-28. All indicators point to forward shifted scalloped bracing on a dread. The new D-28 is quite lovely, but I MUCH prefer the D-18.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Agree. I just don't care for the new HD-28. All indicators point to forward shifted scalloped bracing on a dread. The new D-28 is quite lovely, but I MUCH prefer the D-18.
Between the new (all models) HD-28, D-28, and D-18 I'd take the D-18 every time. I also prefer the new D-28 to the new HD-28 but it still lacked what my older CS D-28 has so it's been consigned to sell.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I know nothing about this model. Does it have the forward shifted scalloped bracing like my HD28?
It do.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars.../d-21-special/

This guitar was a limited edition and isn't in production anymore, but you can still find new/unowned copies out there for about the same price as a new D-18 standard series.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

George Gruhn has some new ones in stock...

https://guitars.com/inventory/aa10211-new-martin-d-21

Old 04-09-2019, 06:43 PM

As another member pointed out the 2018 reimagined HD-28 now has the 1-3/4"(same with 2019). So seeking a guitar that sounds your HD28 but with a 1-3/4" nut width is not a tall order. Martin makes exactly what you are asking for, easy peasy.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:45 PM

Gibson Advanced Jumbo? They'll have forward shifted and scalloped bracing, and I bet if you look at all you could find one that has something much closer to a 1.75" nut rather than the 1.725" that Gibson advertises... I have found that Gibson necks usually run bigger than they say, and most of them approach the 1.75" that I prefer also.

Edit: Sorry, you said Martin. My fault for not reading well enough to give any good advice.

Last edited by Larry Mal; 04-09-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:41 PM

In the years leading up to the Re-imagined change, the HD-28 had standard position scalloped braces. They were not forward shifted scalloped braces. They shifted them forward when they changed to the 1 3/4" nut. So if you want a new HD-28 that sounds like yours but has a 1 3/4" nut you'll have to get one through the Custom Shop.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Maybe you should look to trade your pre-2018 HD-28 for a new Reimagined HD-28 that has the MLO/PA 1 3/4 nut neck. There are still players out there that prefer the 1 11/16 nut Low Profile neck that you own.
This is really good advice! You should also check out the reimagined D-41. I have one and couldn’t be happier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion