The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2019, 10:59 AM

While I love the sound of nylon strings, I prefer steel for my own playing. I experimented with nylon strings, and while I very much like the sound overall, I don’t like the sound of them muted. I play enough groove oriented stuff that I really need this.

Different finger picking styles work with nylon strings as well. I love the sound of classical hand position for fast lines on nylon strings. You can play single note lines as fast with that style as a flat picker can. I would love that, but with steel strings that style sounds scratchy. I play the typical “thumb for the bottom three strings, index, middle and ring finger for the thee higher strings” style, except that I alternate fingers and thumb for faster lines. It works well, but It’s not as fast as classical or flatpick techniques.

I certainly don’t think my style is superior. It just works well for me. Plus, I like that different players have such different sounds and approaches.

Back to the Roy:

What I love about the Roy so much is that it makes it so easy to give yourself and your audience such a high fidelity experience. Set up that one box and I have enough inputs for me and another singer or instrumentalist and the sound is just fantastic. Yes you can do that with a Bose L1, but you need the T1, the bass, the two speaker sections and the subwoofer. Yes you can do it with a Fishman SA330, but you need the mixer and the extra subwoofer. The Roy is heavy, but it has as much low end as subwoofer systems. As far as I know, there is no other multi-channel single box solution that sounds anywhere close to this good.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
While I love the sound of nylon strings, I prefer steel for my own playing. I experimented with nylon strings, and while I very much like the sound overall, I don’t like the sound of them muted. I play enough groove oriented stuff that I really need this.

Different finger picking styles work with nylon strings as well. I love the sound of classical hand position for fast lines on nylon strings. You can play single note lines as fast with that style as a flat picker can. I would love that, but with steel strings that style sounds scratchy. I play the typical “thumb for the bottom three strings, index, middle and ring finger for the thee higher strings” style, except that I alternate fingers and thumb for faster lines. It works well, but It’s not as fast as classical or flatpick techniques.

I certainly don’t think my style is superior. It just works well for me. Plus, I like that different players have such different sounds and approaches.

Back to the Roy:

What I love about the Roy so much is that it makes it so easy to give yourself and your audience such a high fidelity experience. Set up that one box and I have enough inputs for me and another singer or instrumentalist and the sound is just fantastic. Yes you can do that with a Bose L1, but you need the T1, the bass, the two speaker sections and the subwoofer. Yes you can do it with a Fishman SA330, but you need the mixer and the extra subwoofer. The Roy is heavy, but it has as much low end as subwoofer systems. As far as I know, there is no other multi-channel single box solution that sounds anywhere close to this good.
Some styles (mine included) would be pretty tough on a steel string guitar.

Here's me on the deck (not using Roy) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6I6I0ASBs

My point is that Roy does an incredible with whatever you throw at it, even those pesky nylon sting guitars, more prone to nasty sounds at high volumes than steel strings. I still have not played with the parametric EQ. When I find the time I think that will improve things even more! Viva la Roy!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 AM

Wonderful playing! Is that with the Spire’s built in mic.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Wonderful playing! Is that with the Spire’s built in mic.
Sorry, I missed this. Thanks for the comment on my playing.

Yes, I haven't had as much time as I would like to play with the Spire, but it is through the built in mic with one of their acoustic modeling presets. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

1 more sample with the Spire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSI1h1uJ7MQ
Old 05-19-2019, 03:36 PM

Just an update as I finally took Roy out to a barn in Monterey packed with about 150 (fairly loud) wedding guests.

By the way, I usually use Channel 5 as it has a "warmth" button that seems to work pretty well with Nylon guitars.

So, in short, Roy performed exceptionally well. It maintained that warmth and clarity as it definitely cut through the crowd noise. Never a touch of feedback, distortion or anything I would consider undesirable. And still plenty of room for bigger venues or more people!

I have it on a Gator Frameworks Guitar Combo Amp Stand (GFW-GTR-AMP) which works pretty well. Up about a foot off the ground tilted about 20%.

I did have to lug Roy a couple blocks. At 50 lbs, you need to be in decent shape to carry it (or have a cart)
Old 06-21-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone here had the opportunity to compare the Schertler Roy (or the Jam 400) to the AER Domino 3?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:52 AM

It is pretty much impossible to even audition either of these alone let alone together to compare. I bought my Roy when I saw it for a decent price on eBay, never having heard or seen one. I imagine that if I’d seen a good deal on a Domino 3 I might have gone with that instead. They are probably the two best high end acoustic amps and I can’t imagine not being extremely happy with either one of them.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:20 AM

My Roy update:

I've been using the Roy exclusively as my PA (solo and duo) for a few months now and I am still blown away by the sound and performance. I've played through and owned a lot of systems in my time and the Roy hands down is the best. It sounds big and clean

At first I was worried about projection in bigger rooms but after playing several gigs it's a non issue because the Roy cuts through, never sounds harsh and has a consistent sound no matter where the master volume is set. So far I haven't had the master volume past 11:00

At 48lbs the weight is it's only gotcha but I find it easier to move around than my JBL PRX 712's which are 6 lbs lighter but bigger than the Roy. A dolly is highly recommended
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190614_191147-2.jpg (59.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the update. I am exceptionally happy with mine as well. I've been using it with wireless systems on the guitar and mic (Carvin lookalike 5.8GHz on guitar and xVive U3 on the mics) and it is a completely uncluttered and simple setup.

One thing I will say about the weight is that it reproduces lows like a subwoofer system. I do a lot of fingerstyle thumb baselines with walking bass on jazz standards. Yes it's almost fifty pounds, but so was my Bose B2 subwoofer. To me it is worth the weight to get the lows I crave.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:

One thing I will say about the weight is that it reproduces lows like a subwoofer system. I do a lot of fingerstyle thumb baselines with walking bass on jazz standards. Yes it's almost fifty pounds, but so was my Bose B2 subwoofer. To me it is worth the weight to get the lows I crave.
Agreed. I have all the bass I could ever want, as a matter of fact I sometimes turn down the bass on my guitar. That was one of my concerns about using an amp for a PA, especially on a stand but not only does the Roy produce a nice bass it has definition and doesn't smear like other systems I've used.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

On the nylon thing string, it has been my experience that it is much easier to amplify a classical guitar with a UST and get it close to the real tone, whereas steel string not so much. Have others experienced this?

scott memmer
Old 06-26-2019, 11:36 AM

Default Schertler Roy

I am a steel string guy and I use the Schertler AG6/S-mic as well as their amp. When I play at open mics or gigs with a house PA, I use mostly the magnetic pickup because with a poorly EQ’d PA the omnidirectional S-mic feeds back pretty easily. As the audio system improves, I am able to dial in more mic, and this improves the sound I can get from my guitar.

What is truly amazing however is the guitar sound I get when I use both the Shertler amp and their pickup. I can turn the mic up to where it should be without any feedback or boominess problems and the sound is just stunning...mostly like a miked guitar but with a touch of jazzbox definition for the intricate guitar parts. I add a light touch of reverb and an even lighter touch of delay and the sound of my Martin just gives me goosebumps.

I use an Audix OM-5 on vocals (which really compliments softer voices) and that sounds wonderful as well.

Last edited by lkingston; 06-26-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:48 AM

I used the Roy in a very low volume coffee shop setting last night. My 40 watt EAE D6-8 would have easily handled it but it was my first time there so I took the Roy just to be safe.

What is really evident is how high fidelity the sound is even at very low volumes. You can really feel the low frequencies and the highs are already crisp and clear even at the lowest volumes. I was extremely happy with the sound and they must have been as well because they want me to play every Tuesday for the month of September.

Note that the only cable is for power. I have the xVive U3 on my Audix mic and a generic version of Carvin WG5 on my guitar. Setup and tear down was completely painless.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I used the Roy in a very low volume coffee shop setting last night. My 40 watt EAE D6-8 would have easily handled it

Having never played through a Roy, how would you compare sound quality to your EAE?
Old 07-24-2019, 10:09 PM

They are both audiophile amps, no question about that. Both have multiple channels which I really like since I like working with other singers and doing harmonies and trading off vocals.

The big difference is 40 vs. 400 watts. The D6-8 will handle small gigs that a similarly powered Fishman Loudbox mini will handle, but that isn’t enough for a lot of noisier venues. The Roy is an absolute beast power-wise and can handle pretty much any situation that doesn’t require a trucked in PA.

The mixers both sound great but are quite different. The D6-8 is a very well configured digital mixer whereas the Roy goes in the complete opposite direction with all class-A analog preamps. I actually really like both approaches. The D6-8 certainly is ahead in terms of features and sounds impeccably clean, but the Roy has this high end mixer analog charm that is just so beautiful.

The D6-8 is absolutely wonderful as a system at interfacing with a larger PA. It’s mixer is incredibly versatile. You can do things like set up a wonderful mix for yourself and send separated guitar and vocals to the sound guy. There is really nothing else like it.

If I could only keep one, it would be the Roy, but it would be a tough choice because I really do love them both.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification