The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-14-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Luckily, my 400 came with a pole mount, and I can’t imagine using it any other way - I ordered a pair of the pole mount sockets, because my next project is to build a shelf to mount under the amp that will hold the base stations for the wireless units, etc. Lots of good parts on that Penn Elcom site!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 PM

I just ordered the top hat and back plate from parts express and I was told they didn't carry the gasket. No biggie we'll make one
Old 03-14-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I have the large rubbermaid step stool, about a foot tall, holds 300lbs and I use it for my Jam 400 on restaurant type gigs. Seems all the height i need, I'm sure for larger, loud rooms, head height would be best.

It's surprising the improvement in the clarity of the sound when you uncouple the Jam 400 from the floor. I use the same stool on my electric gigs for my combo amp.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

That works! I have been looking for a nice wheeled box about the same width and depth of the 400, which I could use to hold cables, mics, cords, etc and also act as a stand. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to build it -
Old 03-15-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
That works! I have been looking for a nice wheeled box about the same width and depth of the 400, which I could use to hold cables, mics, cords, etc and also act as a stand. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to build it -
I have a Stanley tool box with wheels that would be perfect for that.

It's similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-03302...ag=googhydr-20
Old 03-15-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock School Of Music View Post
I have a Stanley tool box with wheels that would be perfect for that.

It's similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-03302...ag=googhydr-20

That wouldn’t transport well in my Mini Cooper.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:21 PM

I modded my Roy today. I'd like to say thanks to rockabilly69, I followed his instruction to a T and it worked out great. It was pretty easy and I probably could have done it myself but I asked my woodworking friend for his help.

This is much much better than the amp stand and now it's more flexible for different rooms. The Birch plywood that Schertler uses is strong and I have no worry about it not being able to support the weight.

The back plate is missing from the photos and my friend made the gasket because Parts Express didn't have any gaskets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190322_164509.jpg (29.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20190322_163923.jpg (30.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20190322_164132.jpg (38.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20190322_165523.jpg (55.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20190322_170325.jpg (53.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20190322_173019.jpg (43.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock School Of Music View Post
I modded my Roy today. I'd like to say thanks to rockabilly69, I followed his instruction to a T and it worked out great. It was pretty easy and I probably could have done it myself but I asked my woodworking friend for his help.

This is much much better than the amp stand and now it's more flexible for different rooms. The Birch plywood that Schertler uses is strong and I have no worry about it not being able to support the weight.

The back plate is missing from the photos and my friend made the gasket because Parts Express didn't have any gaskets.
I am so happy you did this, you are going to love gigging with it now! That Audio 2000 stand puts it at the PERFECT height to get the job done. And thanks for posting the pics as it may help others. I knew when you saw how well it was built that you would have no fear proceeding with the job, especially considering how well the speaker stand / backplate is built! By the way, for people that are considering doing this, the gasket really isn't needed when using the backplate, I didn't use it on my Jam 400 and it's fine.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 03-22-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
That wouldn’t transport well in my Mini Cooper.
No it wouldn't! You know how to fix it
Old 03-23-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I am so happy you did this, you are going to love gigging with it now! That Audio 2000 stand puts it at the PERFECT height to get the job done. And thanks for posting the pics as it may help others. I knew when you saw how well it was built that you would have no fear proceeding with the job, especially considering how well the speaker stand / backplate is built! By the way, for people that are considering doing this, the gasket really isn't needed when using the backplate, I didn't use it on my Jam 400 and it's fine.
I'm thrilled and I'm I'm looking forward to using it on gigs.The only thing I would do different is offset the hole just a little towards the front of the amp. The weight of the speakers rocks the amp slightly forward but it so small I'm not worried

Do you ever raise the pole beyond the first hole? I ask because the height of the mixer is perfect now but I wonder if I'm going to run into situations where I have to raise the amp and the mixer will be too high. I know...just try it lol

Here's a picture with a better perspective of the height
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy.jpg (37.6 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Woodstock School Of Music; 03-23-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:41 AM

I am sure I’ll get to this. My wife just got a job in Asheville N.C. So the coming weeks we will be moving and not doing much else. I’m sure I’ll have some downtime before I manage to line up gigs there and I’ll likely do the mod then.

How much forward would you put the speaker stand mount if you were to do it again in order to get it to balance perfectly?
Old 03-23-2019, 10:01 AM

Default Schertler Roy

I just want to say here that I am blown away with how good the Schertler Roy sounds. I haven’t played a gig with it yet, but I have it set up in my music room and have been practicing with it regularly. I used to get what I thought was perfect amplified guitar and vocals sound with my Bose L1 Mark ii. The sound of the Schertler Roy is very much on par with that. Rich low end for my thumb bass lines. Full mid range. Crystal clear high end for for my vocals. The main difference is that it is all included in one box around the size and weight of the Bose B2 sub instead of five pieces (B2, system base unit, two tower pieces and the T1 mixer).

While the dispersion is not likely as complete, it easily is sufficient for the types of gig I do, and it interfaces far more easily with the house systems and rented PA systems that are usually provided on larger gigs. Plus, it is far easier to set up.

I couldn’t be happier!
Old 03-23-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:

How much forward would you put the speaker stand mount if you were to do it again in order to get it to balance perfectly?
I would guess about 3/4"? It wouldn't take much just enough to keep it from slightly rocking forward. I wrapped the top of the pole with a layer of gaffers tape to take up the slack but then it wast took thick for the pole socket
Old 03-23-2019, 11:52 PM

The other thing I would be curious about would be if the coverage in some rooms could be further improved by adding a speaker stand angle adapter like this:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/104...hoCQmUQAvD_BwE

or this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=Y
Old 03-24-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I am sure I’ll get to this. My wife just got a job in Asheville N.C. So the coming weeks we will be moving and not doing much else. I’m sure I’ll have some downtime before I manage to line up gigs there and I’ll likely do the mod then.

I have no play in my stands and they are mounted DEAD center. And there is no need to tilt the cabinet it disperses sound perfectly!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification