The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I feel like the angle on my Schertler S4 stand is a little too aggressive as well. I looked at small tables as well, but I drive a Mini Cooper and it is important to me that my stand fold as small as possible. My speaker stand with the K&M shelf packs up small, sets up fast, looks good, and is extremely strong. The only thing I wish is that it had maybe a slight angle up. I don't know for sure though.

I agree with you about the Roy sounding so good at low volumes that it is tempting to use it everywhere. My small system is an Elite Acoustics D6-8. It sounds really good at low volumes, but there is something about the fullness of the low frequencies at low volumes with the Roy that makes me want to use it exclusively regardless of the room size.
I hear you, quite the dilemna! I'm going on a hunt for a small, portable, foldable table that can hold 50 lbs.

Unfortunately, I spent about an hour today and could not find anything with the strength, footprint and portability!

I will let you know what I find. Roy deserves to be up high and slighted tilted in my opinion!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:10 PM

Default Schertler Roy

Maybe I might add this to my setup:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/104...BoC9-UQAvD_BwE
Old 02-19-2019, 10:32 PM

I KNOW I sound like a broken record, but, you guys should really find someone that knows how to mount a speaker pole socket in your area, you would never look back!!! Trusting something that heavy to a stand is only asking for trouble, and the speaker stand has variable heights, that gets the speaker right where it needs to be. It literally puts the controls at your fingertips!!! I have put more gigs on mine than many people would do in a lifetime (no exaggeration), and it shows NO sign of strain. And for someone that knows what they are doing this is 1/2 hour job at most with these steps, I've done 3 Schertlers and even the first one took less than an hour, and I'm no woodworker...

take the grill off
pull out the bottom speaker
pull back the speaker batting from the bottom of the cab
put some plastic over the batting to catch the sawdust,
turn the cab over and mark the center
drill with a hole-saw (I use one I got for mounting door knobs)
put speaker pole mount in hole and mark for the bolt holes,
drill bolt holes
clean away any sawdust
mount socket with bolts and lock-washers
put speaker back in
put grill back on

Any decent amp tech could do this in their sleep. And the sockets are rated for far more weight than the Roy!

Parts needed...

Penn-Elcom M1551 Speaker Mounting Top Hat Steel For 1-3/8"
Penn-Elcom M1551/BP Backplate For M1551/M1552 Steel Top Hats
Penn-Elcom M1551G Black Chloroprene Rubber Gasket

(This speaker mount will easily hold 100 lbs and with the backing
plate, you use bolts, lock-washers and nuts, as opposed to wood
screws)

(4) x 1 1/2" #20 1/4" bolts (with split washers and nuts)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I KNOW I sound like a broken record, but, you guys should really find someone that knows how to mount a speaker pole socket in your area, you would never look back!!!
You’re not anywhere near central PA are you?
Old 02-20-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
You’re not anywhere near central PA are you?
No, I'm in Utah, but if I was close enough, I'd do it for the cost of a beer. Of course I would drink it after the power tools were put away

If I was looking for someone to do it I would first check local PA/Live-Sound companies.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
No, I'm in Utah, but if I was close enough, I'd do it for the cost of a beer. Of course I would drink it after the power tools were put away

If I was looking for someone to do it I would first check local PA/Live-Sound companies.
Come out to the bay area. I'll get you a gig and we can daisy chain the Roys. That is, after you make the adjustments on mine.

I'll figure something out. Hopefully without modifying Roy too much!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
Come out to the bay area. I'll get you a gig and we can daisy chain the Roys. That is, after you make the adjustments on mine.

I'll figure something out. Hopefully without modifying Roy too much!
Sounds fun, but mine is JAM 400 although it's the same approximate weight and size as the ROY I have two brothers and a niece in the bay area but I'm locked into a gig schedule in Utah!

Old 02-21-2019, 10:16 AM

Before someone start making change to the cabinet on a speaker design, it would be a good idea to check with the manufacturer to see why that feature was left off, it may change the tuning on the cabinet. IMO.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeG View Post
Before someone start making change to the cabinet on a speaker design, it would be a good idea to check with the manufacturer to see why that feature was left off, it may change the tuning on the cabinet. IMO.
Schertler sells a pole mount but doesn't recommend it for the bigger Jam 400 and Roy. Probably because it's really too small to get the job done. The one I use has a backing plate for the inside to strengthen the connection and it easily handles the weight. And Schertler knows that I've have done this to my Schertler amps, and they had nothing bad to say. If you would have read my post you would have seen I have more gigs on my Jam 400 that most people will put on their rigs in a lifetime, and no, it does not change the sound of the cabinet one bit!!! Cabinet tuning is definitely not a problem. It also didn't affect the tuning of my smaller Jam 200. If you were to look in the cabinets you would find Schertler use tons of batting inside which would affect the tuning MUCH more than a pole mount!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 03-13-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Penn-Elcom M1551GBlack Chloroprene Rubber Gasket
I can't find this gasket online.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I can't find this gasket online.
https://www.penn-elcom.com/default.asp?PN=M1551
Old 03-04-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Schertler sells a pole mount but doesn't recommend it for the bigger Jam 400 and Roy. Probably because it's really to small to get the job done. The one I use has a backing plate for the inside to strengthen the connection and it easily handles the weight. And Schertler knows that I've have done this to my Schertler amps, and they had nothing bad to say. If you would have read my post you would have seen I have more gigs on my Jam 400 that most people will put on their rigs in a lifetime, and no, it does not change the sound of the cabinet one bit!!! Cabinet tuning is definitely not a problem. It also didn't affect the tuning of my smaller Jam 200. If you were to look in the cabinets you would find Schertler use tons of batting inside which would affect the tuning MUCH more than a pole mount!
That is brave of you to cut a hole on a $1K+ amp, but seem that you got it covered by checking with the manufacturer.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I KNOW I sound like a broken record, but, you guys should really find someone that knows how to mount a speaker pole socket in your area, you would never look back!!! Trusting something that heavy to a stand is only asking for trouble, and the speaker stand has variable heights, that gets the speaker right where it needs to be. It literally puts the controls at your fingertips!!! I have put more gigs on mine than many people would do in a lifetime (no exaggeration), and it shows NO sign of strain. And for someone that knows what they are doing this is 1/2 hour job at most with these steps, I've done 3 Schertlers and even the first one took less than an hour, and I'm no woodworker...

take the grill off
pull out the bottom speaker
pull back the speaker batting from the bottom of the cab
put some plastic over the batting to catch the sawdust,
turn the cab over and mark the center
drill with a hole-saw (I use one I got for mounting door knobs)
put speaker pole mount in hole and mark for the bolt holes,
drill bolt holes
clean away any sawdust
mount socket with bolts and lock-washers
put speaker back in
put grill back on

Any decent amp tech could do this in their sleep. And the sockets are rated for far more weight than the Roy!

Parts needed...

Penn-Elcom M1551 Speaker Mounting Top Hat Steel For 1-3/8"
Penn-Elcom M1551/BP Backplate For M1551/M1552 Steel Top Hats
Penn-Elcom M1551G Black Chloroprene Rubber Gasket

(This speaker mount will easily hold 100 lbs and with the backing
plate, you use bolts, lock-washers and nuts, as opposed to wood
screws)

(4) x 1 1/2" #20 1/4" bolts (with split washers and nuts)
Thanks for this info I think I'm going to try that with my Roy. It seems to make the most sense
Old 03-13-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock School Of Music View Post
Thanks for this info I think I'm going to try that with my Roy. It seems to make the most sense
If you, let me know how it goes. My life is a little crazy right now and I have zero free time, but eventually I will like do this mod as well.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
If you, let me know how it goes. My life is a little crazy right now and I have zero free time, but eventually I will like do this mod as well.
You got it. I'm swamped too but I will do this relatively soon and post the results

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification