The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Default Schertler Roy

I just got a good deal on a Schertler Roy on eBay. I have never heard one of these in person, so I am hoping it lives up to my expectations from reviews here and on various YouTube videos.

What I am looking for is a simple one box setup that can handle my guitar and two vocals plus occasional guest instruments and get stellar sound.

I will use it with the Schertler tilt back stand that is designed for it, a Martin Guitar with a Schertler AG-6/S-Mic pickup, and Audix OM-5 mics for vocals. I won’t be using any external preamp or effects.

I expect it to sound really good. My only fear is the sound dispersion, especially of vocals.

Can anyone who is using the Roy (or Jam 400) chime in on what to expect sound dispersion wise especially?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:21 PM

Don't know about the Roy, but love my Jam100. I also use it for guitar and two vocal mics. I do use a preamp for guitar into channel 3 as my Martin has a passive DiMarizo Angel pickup.

I find the dispersion fine for the venues I play and use it more often than my Bose L1C, just think it sounds better.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 12-14-2018, 07:49 AM

I use the Roy live and for most of the rooms I play the dispersion is fine. Of course it depends on how big of room you're playing but placement is important. For bigger rooms I put it on something like a table so it's close to head height (this was recommended by Draco from Schertler) I've thought about getting a pole mount and putting it on a speaker stand as someone on this forum does with his Jam 400 but Schertler doesn't recommend that and I know my back wouldn't like that.

When I have to cover a wider area like playing outside I bring a small powered speaker for additional coverage. I think you'll find the mixer in the Roy sounds much better than any run of the mill mixer. The first time I plugged in a powered speaker to the Roy I was amazed at how much better it sounded than it did with my old mixer.

I do use the amp stand but I take caution in smaller rooms with low ceilings because the angle of the amp can point the speakers at the ceiling. I use it flat in those situations
Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 AM

Thanks for that. It makes sense to put it on a table. I hate relying on stuff from the venue, even if it is just a table or a chair. Maybe a folding live sound mixer console stand or something. I want to raise it up to a level where I can still get to the top panel easily.

I believe that this particular Roy is the one that you sold to the Thompson Duo.

There are a number of reasons I want to try the Roy. My style is jazzy fingerstyle and I play basslines with my thumb under everything that I do. What I find is that with lighter systems, I end up rolling off the bass and losing the bottom end that I crave. Most systems that are fine for a typical singer/guitarist can't handle things like adding a bass, keys or electronic percussion. On keys, I use an 88 note keyboard and the low notes on that are just too much for something like a Bose L1C or a Fishman SA330 without the added subwoofer. It was fine on my full L1 system, but I don't want that complicated a setup.

I am pretty sure that I will be quite happy with the Roy in almost every way. The only thing I am worried about is dispersion.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock School Of Music View Post
When I have to cover a wider area like playing outside I bring a small powered speaker for additional coverage. I think you'll find the mixer in the Roy sounds much better than any run of the mill mixer. The first time I plugged in a powered speaker to the Roy I was amazed at how much better it sounded than it did with my old mixer.
I do have a pair of Bose S1 Pro speakers that would do this nicely.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I would very much like one of thse acoustic amps but sadly they don't sell them in the UK.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I recently picked up the Jam 400 that was for sale here, and I think its fantastic. I have used it a few times now for rehearsals, and the sound is actually much better than my Jam 150, and it is so much louder. My studio space is kinda tight, so it sits on a tool chest about 14” tall. I also used it to amplify Eric Skye at a party we had in a larger space, about 80’ wide and 40 deep, with him sitting centered on the 80’ wall and the amp on a speaker stand at its lowest height, and Eric used two inputs for his guitar, internal pickup and mic, and the sound was fantastic and the dispersion very, very good. I walked around the back of the room, and I would say optimal locations were within a 100-110* cone in front, but as you walked out of that cone you still got good sound out to about 140*. (Not sure if you reference the full cone, or how many degrees off center?)

I’d be intrigued as to why Schertler doesn’t recommend the pole mount - other than it being rather heavy, it seemed to work great. I will have to find an amp stand and try that, as it would be so much easier to mount/unmount -
Old 12-14-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I also used it to amplify Eric Skye at a party we had in a larger space, about 80’ wide and 40 deep, with him sitting centered on the 80’ wall and the amp on a speaker stand at its lowest height, and Eric used two inputs for his guitar, internal pickup and mic, and the sound was fantastic and the dispersion very, very good. I walked around the back of the room, and I would say optimal locations were within a 100-110* cone in front, but as you walked out of that cone you still got good sound out to about 140*. (Not sure if you reference the full cone, or how many degrees off center?)

That was just guitar though, no vocals right? I don’t mind the sound of a guitar at all with an acoustic amp even on the floor. Even if the instrument loses a little high frequency content it usually still sounds pretty. It’s the vocals which worry me. I worry that the tweeter just a few feet above the floor won’t be enough for clear vocals. On a raised stage with the amp on a table behind or to the side of you I expect it would be fine. I worry about gigs where the entertainment is at floor level and a lot of people are standing.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Guitar only, yes, but my announcements and Thank You’s sounded great too!

My speaker stand won’t let me mount anything below about 4’, so the amp center was probably 5’ up? If I were stronger, especially after a long night of partying, I wouldn’t think more about it.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Guitar only, yes, but my announcements and Thank You’s sounded great too!

My speaker stand won’t let me mount anything below about 4’, so the amp center was probably 5’ up? If I were stronger, especially after a long night of partying, I wouldn’t think more about it.

That makes me optimistic even though I won’t try to raise it that high.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:56 PM

This tray looks like it would make a nice platform on top of a short speaker stand for a Schertler Roy:
https://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?i...511e6a8785d963
Old 12-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Default Schertler Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
This tray looks like it would make a nice platform on top of a short speaker stand for a Schertler Roy:
https://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?i...511e6a8785d963

That and this short speaker stand:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio2000S-AS.../dp/B008R0WCUG

That is going to put the top of the Roy (or Jam) at about 4 feet 7 inches, which is still low enough to peer over the top to set the top mounted mixer controls.

Last edited by lkingston; 12-15-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Edited to add content.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:04 PM

That's an expensive piece of equipment.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-15-2018, 04:13 PM

Good finds lkingston

How much for the tray? I can't seem to find a price
Old 12-15-2018, 04:29 PM

Default Schertler Roy

I’m just in the process of ordering the tray part for $95 (no tax or shipping) from Adorama Camera. The size is very close to the bottom dimensions of the Roy:

https://www.adorama.com/km26747.html

Last edited by lkingston; 12-15-2018 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Corrected link

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification