The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-10-2018, 01:24 PM

I understand the convenience of having everything contained in a single unit, but there's also an inconvenience to it as well. Having to walk over to the unit to make adjustments would drive me crazy. Every time the amount of people in a room changes, the sound changes and adjustments need to be made.

For me personally, the simplicity of any all in one unit would make things far more complicated. I understand why it appeals to some people, and although I wish something so simple and convenient would work for me, it just doesn't.

As far as the Mackie Freeplay goes, I have no idea why they use those wide Z pre's. They're terrible. You can use an external preamp or mixer to work around them, but then you're right back in traditional PA territory

My small system is a small format mixer and a powered speaker. I can put the speaker where I want, and the mixer next to me. I'm not tied to one unit that my physically need to be far enough away to be problematic for making adjustments.

I mean, if it works for you... then that's great. I'm kinda jealous!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Thumbs up Mackie FreePlay Iz EZ Peasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I understand the convenience of having everything contained in a single unit, but there's also an inconvenience to it as well. Having to walk over to the unit to make adjustments would drive me crazy. Every time the amount of people in a room changes, the sound changes and adjustments need to be made.

For me personally, the simplicity of any all in one unit would make things far more complicated. I understand why it appeals to some people, and although I wish something so simple and convenient would work for me, it just doesn't.

As far as the Mackie Freeplay goes, I have no idea why they use those wide Z pre's. They're terrible. You can use an external preamp or mixer to work around them, but then you're right back in traditional PA territory

My small system is a small format mixer and a powered speaker. I can put the speaker where I want, and the mixer next to me. I'm not tied to one unit that my physically need to be far enough away to be problematic for making adjustments.

I mean, if it works for you... then that's great. I'm kinda jealous!

¿ I guess you don't know you can control a Freeplay with a Ipad or Iphone/smartphone via Bluetooth ?

With a MFX unit there is no issue on the input stage impedance . A cheap matching transformer
solves that problem @ $15.00 most times .

I busk anywhere with out having A.C. for hours with the FreePlay stand alone , it's FX are superb .

My Washburn acoustic steel Dread's preamp drives it really good .

One guitar & cable - one mic and cable and I'm done . When I hook my MFX unit & Roland guitar
synth this little FRFR P.A. wails good stuff .

With my new rechargeable 42,000 Mah Power Bank I go off he grid with everything busking it's super cool .

And the price break - nothing can compare period for the quality and power it's got .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 11-10-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

¿ I guess you don't know you can control a Freeplay with a Ipad or Iphone/smartphone via Bluetooth ?

With a MFX unit there is no issue on the input stage impedance . A cheap matching transformer
solves that problem @ $15.00 most times .

I busk anywhere with out having A.C. for hours with the FreePlay stand alone , it's FX are superb .

My Washburn acoustic steel Dread's preamp drives it really good .

One guitar & cable - one mic and cable and I'm done . When I hook my MFX unit & Roland guitar
synth this little FRFR P.A. wails good stuff .

With my new rechargeable 42,000 Mah Power Bank I go off he grid with everything busking it's super cool .

And the price break - nothing can compare period for the quality and power it's got .

EZ :

HR
No, I didn’t know that it was controllable with a phone. That solves that problem. Do you have any busking videos with it?
Old 11-11-2018, 03:02 AM

Cool Mackie FreePlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
No, I didn’t know that it was controllable with a phone. That solves that problem. Do you have any busking videos with it?
No not yet . I will though in time - as John Lennon put :

" Life is what happens in the middle of your plans "

The FreePlay is by far now my most used piece of gear
beside P.A. duty :
  • Personal monitor on stage
  • Computer Monitor
  • Electric & Acoustic guitar amp
  • Home sound system for my TV

EZ :

HR

Old 11-11-2018, 05:24 AM

HR,
is it the the Freeplay Live you have, or the old one?

Thanks,
Per
Old 11-11-2018, 08:02 AM

I do think Mackie Reach sounds better for most situations. Just change the preamp gain to selectable switch or even tunner buttons...

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 11-11-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
I do think Mackie Reach sounds better for most situations. Just change the preamp gain to selectable switch or even tunner buttons...
I use a Samson MDA1 active direct box with the 15db pad switched on with my Mackie Reach. It compensates for the anemic Wide-Z preamps on the Reach perfectly.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/pro...rs/s-max/mda1/
Old 11-11-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

No not yet . I will though in time - as John Lennon put :

" Life is what happens in the middle of your plans "

The FreePlay is by far now my most used piece of gear
beside P.A. duty :
  • Personal monitor on stage
  • Computer Monitor
  • Electric & Acoustic guitar amp
  • Home sound system for my TV

EZ :

HR
Cool, keep us posted!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Found pianoman chucks comparison between macke and roland kc-110. And the free play really sound "muffled" in comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z274UPmM3rQ
but the weight is impressive
Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
Found pianoman chucks comparison between macke and roland kc-110. And the free play really sound "muffled" in comparison.
Thanks for sharing the vid but that is the old Freeplay speaker. The new one is the "Freeplay Live". It's hard to find much video of it in action. This is mostly it, and I've got a feeling that the sound is this vid is just the direct signal :/

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Last edited by wood nacho; 11-12-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:12 PM

Thumbs up FreePlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post

Piano Man Chuck is cool . Two things to consider .

Each use different speakers and each is predisposed to be -+ on treble/bass
sounds .
Each can be custom EQ'd to sound better
The Bass on the FreePlay is far superior to the Roland period . I know , caused I have side by sided them .

I use a Roland GR33 guitar synth . The Freeplay has a single 8" that does a really great job on the Low HZ synth
frequencies . The Cube can't hold a candle unless you get the larger Roland KC110 Cube with X2 8" main drivers , it
can cut a better bass than the smaller X2 6" unit . On the treble end the FreePlay has some really superior
super tweeters , both Roland have IMHO old outdated paper tweeters . This IS and issue to me because of the many
synth sounds I have in my GR33 .

The FreePlay's EQ is super too , however I have additional EQ gear to really dress out my sound to the max .
The FreePlays EQ does really work stand alone for vocal , acoustic guitar and percussion ( it kills on percussion ) .
Vocals are silky smooth compared to the muffled and a tad harsh on the Cubes .

On the battery issue - The FreePlay also takes " C " battery so if you think the lithium is too expensive you can get rechargeable C's .

The gig bag on the FreePlay is unique - Outdoor Buskers hate light rain and heavy humidity/fog - The gig bag on the
FreePlay is really worth every penny to keep your gear safe and dry WHILE YOU PLAY , whether mounted on a pole
or on the floor/table/bench top . .

You can keep it on the unit while mounted on a pole or when it's got it's angled floor support/pole mount adapter .

The pole/angled stand adaptor replaces the battery cover .

No matter which you like better you will be happy with either one Roland or Mackie .

This system is good for coffee house and small rooms or out doors . I'm thinking on a second unit and a
subwoofer to really have a super light weight system that nails it , that's how much I like it .

YMMV though

EZ :

HR

Old 11-12-2018, 02:24 PM

Default Size Matters , 8"vs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post
HR,
is it the the Freeplay Live you have, or the old one?

Thanks,
Per
The older one with the 8" driver and a 6" - Just can't see
a 6" deliver bass HZ's , as it is the 8" cuts it but - - -
i'm sure i'll add a subwoofer in time and a second FreePlay .

The quality of the sound is THE MAIN REASON more than another .

EZ :

HR

Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 PM

As an update to this threat that I stared in August, I will add that the FreePlay Live is not a suitable replacement for the previous generation, or a Bose S1 Pro. I find it to be a glorified bluetooth speaker. I would not waste your hard earned gear dollars on this unit. It is a cash grab. I owned the previous version and the Mackie Reach. Both of those units sounded great and had one flaw: a lack of gain for the preamps. Unfortunately, the new units did not resolve the lack of gain and sound worse. A thumbs down in my humble opinion.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
As an update to this threat that I stared in August, I will add that the FreePlay Live is not a suitable replacement for the previous generation, or a Bose S1 Pro. I find it to be a glorified bluetooth speaker. I would not waste your hard earned gear dollars on this unit. It is a cash grab. I owned the previous version and the Mackie Reach. Both of those units sounded great and had one flaw: a lack of gain for the preamps. Unfortunately, the new units did not resolve the lack of gain and sound worse. A thumbs down in my humble opinion.
Thanks for being a straight shooter!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:57 PM

Definitely what I needed to hear! $ saved

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification