The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2017, 01:22 PM

Default recording feature

okay, i have returned my mugig BM25 because I guess mine was just defective. Good to hear the effects should work right and that probably means it was a bad board that shorted and fried the power supply on the charger... that would be my guess...

Recording: If you press and hold the play/pause button for a couple secs it will switch to Record mode.. Note, I found i could only use a usb 2.0 stick to record. It helps to have a flash drive with a light that blinks on it too because once you are in recording mode you hit play to record, then pause to pause and long pause will then stop and save the recording. Wait for the track to save, you will hear beeps... Press and hold again and you will be back in Music Mode on the usb stick. files are stored in a folder called "JL_Rec".
Old 10-27-2017, 09:59 PM

Smile Mugig Battery Powered Amp and Charging-Operation Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPKML View Post
okay, i have returned my mugig BM25 because I guess mine was just defective. Good to hear the effects should work right and that probably means it was a bad board that shorted and fried the power supply on the charger... that would be my guess...
I had returned the defective one and am awaiting the replacement. I really liked this amp and really want it to work well. I'm pleased to hear others have had good luck with theirs and hope that I have the same experience moving forward with it.

Should I charge it, run off battery, charge, run battery... etc. It warns not to charge over 8 hours. Is that how other users interpreted it and are using the amp? What guidelines would others give for using this amp daily?
Old 10-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I had returned the defective one and am awaiting the replacement. I really liked this amp and really want it to work well. I'm pleased to hear others have had good luck with theirs and hope that I have the same experience moving forward with it.

Should I charge it, run off battery, charge, run battery... etc. It warns not to charge over 8 hours. Is that how other users interpreted it and are using the amp? What guidelines would others give for using this amp daily?
I asked the question on Amazon, the seller answered that you shouldn't leave it plugged in, he said to give it a break, .lol.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 PM

Default Got the replacement

Just sharing that I did get my Mugig BM25 replaced and am listening to it on bluetooth from my 2 in 1 tablet computer... Just had a great hour or so jam with itunes on shuffle playing my favorites and just played with whatever came up plugged into my iphone 4 running Amplitube for iOS (for version iOS8.0) using my OLP mm1 and got some great clean and distorted tones out of this little amp...

Looking forward to compiling some backing tracks to use this more efficiently as a solo performance tool...

BTW, yes THIS amp charges fine... I'm not sure what the issue was but i guess it was the power supply... I don't recall the last psu having a light on it. The amp does but this new power plug has a light indicator on it that shows orange while charging and you still have the power on the back that blinks purple while charging... the only issue I have found is that you do have to power off after charging in order to reset the solid puprle light indicate blue as a full charge...

Chris Johnson

Last edited by SPKML; 10-30-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Just sharing that I did get my Mugig BM25 replaced and am listening to it on bluetooth from my 2 in 1 tablet computer... Just had a great hour or so jam with itunes on shuffle playing my favorites and just played with whatever came up plugged into my iphone 4 running Amplitube for iOS (for version iOS8.0) using my OLP mm1 and got some great clean and distorted tones out of this little amp...

Looking forward to compiling some backing tracks to use this more efficiently as a solo performance tool...

BTW, yes THIS amp charges fine... I'm not sure what the issue was but i guess it was the power supply... I don't recall the last psu having a light on it. The amp does but this new power plug has a light indicator on it that shows orange while charging and you still have the power on the back that blinks purple while charging... the only issue I have found is that you do have to power off after charging in order to reset the solid puprle light indicate blue as a full charge...

Chris Johnson
Yep, for the $85 I paid I'm very happy and your using it in way I don't so far , happy playing!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 PM

Bought this back about 9 months ago during one of the continual price rotations came by--$84. Got back in country recently and finally had a chance to take it out of the box and try it. Mine works great and for $84 (or even less at times), I think it's a bargain.

Packing it now to head back overseas and it will fit in a normal suitcase, but you should be aware airline rules have changed. Anything with a lithium battery big enough to charge something--bigger than an electric shaver battery, etc., now have to be removed and you carry the battery with you in your carry on--or they won't let the checked bag on the plane.

I'm not sure they would have caught this battery in the amp, it's not that big and it's covered on 3 sides by the metal box, but I decided not to risk it. I found you can remove a few screws and the battery unit is in a small metal box and simply unplugs from the electronics. I'll carry it with me on board and reinstall it once I'm at my destination. Unscrew the plastic part for mounting it on a stand and then look around inside with a flashlight to get your bearings. It's mostly an empty box with some electronics and the battery and a large speaker.

I'm sure there are better amps out there--but not likely for the price. It will be good for me to hear myself in a different way than I have before. Looking forward to it.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Bought this back about 9 months ago during one of the continual price rotations came by--$84. Got back in country recently and finally had a chance to take it out of the box and try it. Mine works great and for $84 (or even less at times), I think it's a bargain.

Packing it now to head back overseas and it will fit in a normal suitcase, but you should be aware airline rules have changed. Anything with a lithium battery big enough to charge something--bigger than an electric shaver battery, etc., now have to be removed and you carry the battery with you in your carry on--or they won't let the checked bag on the plane.

I'm not sure they would have caught this battery in the amp, it's not that big and it's covered on 3 sides by the metal box, but I decided not to risk it. I found you can remove a few screws and the battery unit is in a small metal box and simply unplugs from the electronics. I'll carry it with me on board and reinstall it once I'm at my destination. Unscrew the plastic part for mounting it on a stand and then look around inside with a flashlight to get your bearings. It's mostly an empty box with some electronics and the battery and a large speaker.

I'm sure there are better amps out there--but not likely for the price. It will be good for me to hear myself in a different way than I have before. Looking forward to it.
Please report back how it works for you in different places. Remember to use the correct AC adapter plug if wherever you are doesn't have 120v/60Hz.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-29-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Please report back how it works for you in different places. Remember to use the correct AC adapter plug if wherever you are doesn't have 120v/60Hz.
It works splendidly. Clipped the battery back in place and charged it up on 220V no problem.

You might have misunderstood the use of the word "adapter" in previous discussions.

Adapter refers to two things in these discussions.

1. The power adapter
2. The plug adapter

The Mugig comes with a power adapter ---a wall wart--- which works anywhere in the world, 110V, 220V, makes no difference. It's just a battery charger and outputs 10 or 12V or something similar to charge up the internal lithium battery. Nothing more. You are always powering the amp off the battery, not from the direct wall current.

The plug adapter is merely a small end piece that you plug onto the USA adapter wall prongs. You buy what you need at any electronics store, Walmart, or any store with a travel section or 10,000 places online. A buck or two will usually buy you a selection for several parts of the world. I use a plug adapter with two round prongs, but have another for use when in countries influenced by the comparatively HUGE British version of a wall plug.

The only thing you need when traveling with the Mugig is the very, very cheap plug adapter for the country of your choice.

As to taking the thing apart to detach the clipped in battery, maybe it's not needed, but I wanted to err on the safe side and not find it missing from my luggage at the other end because they figured out it had a battery inside. It's only 6 screws to get inside: 2 corner screws on the top, and a row of 4 screws on the back.

Gently separate and there is enough slack in the simple wiring for you to see inside and detach the 2 nylon connecting plugs, one for the battery and one for the electronics. After that, you can remove the battery easily. Just 4 simple screws around the protecting metal cover box.

Re-screw the screws into the separated metal box so you don't lose them while traveling and so you know where they are, and stuff the box in your carry on. It's not very large or heavy at all. The battery is sort of stuck in the box with adhesives so won't fall out, but I used plastic stretch wrap to encase it and protect the protruding wire connecting link with the nylon snap plug ending.

The metal box has one side open so you can view the battery or someday in the future replace the battery by yourself.

There were no "warranty" seals to be broken, etc. when I did this--nothing that indicates I ever opened the case. It's just a simple dense particle wood box with simple electronics, a battery, and a large and small speaker.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ac; 04-29-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:35 AM

Another note for Mugig owners.

I decided I didn't want the "Mugig" logo on the front speaker grill of my amp and wanted a simple, clean look.

I thought it was attached by simple adhesive but soon learned the logo was much more substantial than I thought.

You need to take the grill off--only two screws.
The logo itself is actually made of cast aluminum! It has two prongs on the backside that they insert into the grill and then bend over to secure. In addition, there is a thin strip of strong rubbery adhesive that's been applied.

I unbent the prongs, then I used an old credit card to slide in and wiggle back and forth until all the adhesive was loose, then removed the logo. The remaining adhesive came off with a bit extra work and the grill is perfect now and clean.

Just a fun, quick project. I can always reattach the logo if I choose to do it some day.

The surprise was that it was cast aluminum. I thought it was just plastic with a peel and stick backing.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:49 AM

Still using mine.... also use it around the house with the Bluetooth

Haven't charged it in months... But then I don't use it daily either

Great bang for the buck
Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 AM

I pulled mine out a couple of weeks ago to recharge the battery (didn't need much) and give it more than a few minutes, adjusting sound, etc.

Just ordered a dynamic headset mic that can plug directly in via XLR, which will make it perfect for busking situations - just amp with its strap, guitar, and mic & cables in a bag.
Will give it a 'backyard tryout' with video camera recording to see how it sounds outside.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-05-2018, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

have one of these and i’m Very impressed particularly for the money. My only nit is that it says you shouldn’t leave it plugged in. That puts it on me to remember to take it off the charger after 24 hours.

What exactly happens to it if you leave it plugged in too long?
Old 08-05-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublro View Post
have one of these and i’m Very impressed particularly for the money. My only nit is that it says you shouldn’t leave it plugged in. That puts it on me to remember to take it off the charger after 24 hours.

What exactly happens to it if you leave it plugged in too long?
It's a lead battery, I don't leave my plugged in and it's still good after 7-8 months but I don't use it every day
I would be worried about the battery or over taxing the charger
Old 08-12-2018, 10:44 AM

Here's a soundcheck of the Mugig, using:
Audiot Technica wired dynamic headset mic and my Fender CD140sce - this would be my 'busking rig'. I wanted to try it outside, but its been pouring rain on and off all weekend here. The mic is a little boxy sounding, I could dial a little of that out with the amp's EQ, didn't really try any adjustments.
I think the sound would be more than adequate for busking, or a farmers market with no power.
https://youtu.be/Ip0ukVR5GIk

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-12-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Here's a soundcheck of the Mugig, using:
Audiot Technica wired dynamic headset mic and my Fender CD140sce - this would be my 'busking rig'. I wanted to try it outside, but its been pouring rain on and off all weekend here. The mic is a little boxy sounding, I could dial a little of that out with the amp's EQ, didn't really try any adjustments.
I think the sound would be more than adequate for busking, or a farmers market with no power.
https://youtu.be/Ip0ukVR5GIk
I paid $79.95 for mine,. Worth every penny.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification