The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2017, 07:54 PM

Some more things:

The pre is good and presents both instrument and vocal well and with some gusto. The amp is much smaller and far lighter than I expected. It weighs almost nothing, like 4lbs. It's about 30% smaller than my Crate TX15 and about half the size of an AC33.

It's not a great amp but compared to the Roland Cube street it's a steal. It competes at less than half it's price. It comes with a carry strap too.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:02 PM

Yea I think both amps would be great for gigging, need more power, hook up the Korg to the Mugig , can't wait to try them together

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2017, 08:05 PM

Something I mentioned in passing, but I did use a mic mechanic with it, I didn't try it without the mic mechanic

Old 06-25-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Yea I think both amps would be great for gigging, need more power, hook up the Korg to the Mugig , can't wait to try them together

I think youre going to drop your jaw when you hear the combo. Its a remarkable difference.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I quoted the above John, because I'm wondering if you could clarify which amp is which in your quote. Is the Mugig directly competitive with the EAE 4"?
I have an EAE A1BR8, a Sunburst M6BR8, and a Sunburst M1BR3. They all sound better (to me) than the Mugig and most any other small battery powered amp. They actually sound better, at a low volume, than most other amps period. They sound like studio monitors.

All of the Sunburst/EAE amps, in my experience, have pretty limited headroom. They distort easy. Maybe because I would like more power or maybe the inputs are more sensitive. In any case the Mugig and the Crate Limo are a little harder to overdrive with my Cordoba GK Studio (and everything else).

The Crate Limo (and the Taxi I had) are much more like real guitar amps. The Limo has a channel that is voiced for electric guitar. I don't use that feature but it's there.

If I was playing something where I needed acoustic guitar and no AC (I don't sing) I'd pick the Mugig (after more testing) if I thought it was big enough. If I thought needed more power I'd take the Crate just because it's more flexible for delivering volume if needed.

I played a wedding a couple weeks ago where I played acoustic guitar during the ceremony and they wanted two mics and then I played with tracks for the reception. All of this was outside with no power.

I used the M6BR8 and the A1BR8. They were able to reproduce the full range of bass, drums, and piano very well. They sounded great just not really really loud. The Mugig would not have had the power or the sound quality for the tracks. The Crate would have had plenty of power but would not have the sound quality for the tracks.

None of these compare to a "real" AC powered system. If I'm playing where I can have AC I'll use my Henriksen Bud for a really small room and my Carvin AG300 for larger rooms. For larger still I add an extension cabinet and a powered sub to the Carvin.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:26 PM

Thanks for clarifying John. As an aside, I tore into the Crate TX15 to fix it, specifically so that I could compare it to the Mugig and the Korg. I stumbled upon the cause with a wayward brush of my hand; turns out it was the on off switch that was refusing to reliably connect. I exercised it, cleaned it and bent the terminals some and it kinda works now. If I tear it out and replace it,it should be fully alive once again.

Sin d you own Crate stuff, I thought I'd let you know.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post
You gotta love Amazon. Mine arrived yesterday.

Pretty good amp for $85. . . . .
You have a link for that price? I only see one entry on Amazon and that's for $130.

$85 would be a steal but no search I made turns up that price, including a historical Amazon search using Camel.

There is a much cheaper Mugig electric guitar amp though.

Thx

Last edited by ac; 06-26-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:50 AM

It was a Fathers Day special sale it's over...

Another non-Battery Amp I've got is the Kustom PA-50 $99 ..three channels, Loud!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
It was a Fathers Day special sale it's over...

Another non-Battery Amp I've got is the Kustom PA-50 $99 ..three channels, Loud!
You also own an AC33, right? I'd love to hear your impressions of a direct comparison of all these amps. Same space, preferably something open air and with an attention to the warmth and elegance of the presentation. Test with the amps facing you from at least 10-15 feet away to get an audience style impression, as well as from the players position.

That would help a lot.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
The power brick is 13.8v/2000mah, right? I saw a youtube video a while ago where Lepai 2020 amp was bench tested and it put out 7.83w @ 2% distortion, if I remember correctly, that's per side I think. Its brick is 12v/2000mah.

I'll look for the video again.
I actually found a video I'd watched some years ago. I'm amazed. Anyway, I'm found a newer one on this guys YouTube channel that bench tests an amp that has specs pretty close to what we MI battery powered amp users use:

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=K1WMcuXCorY

There's a ton of these tests on his channel and I think they're really intriguing for what they tell us about how basic what most of these amps are. I think that these are probably what's inside your favorite battery powered amp now. Is it any wonder that they make little bass and have poor dynamic range?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:26 PM

my question is how is the bass response. i play 7 string acoustic with my .080 flatwound going down to g below guitar e.
not expecting it to boom like a bass amp but does it hold it's own or just break up?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
my question is how is the bass response. i play 7 string acoustic with my .080 flatwound going down to g below guitar e.
not expecting it to boom like a bass amp but does it hold it's own or just break up?
I don't have a bass to check with but I can tune my .53 down to G and try it, if that'll help. I can tell you that my Loudbox Mini and to a lesser extent, though still capable, the Korg MMA130 can handle a full on bass. This Mugig might but its going to be right on the edge I'm suspecting.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 PM

i have an old carvin that is about the same size as the Korg.
but i'm looking for a smaller thing for some situations so i am curious.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 AM

I really want one of these but have no reason to get one. Ha!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:10 AM

Hook the BlueTooth to my Computer.... Works Great..

Have a mini I pod plugged in now..waiting for it to charge, yea the Mugig charges it..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification