The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2017, 03:51 PM

Default Mugig Portable Battery Amp.

Ok I got to spend several hours today playing through this..

I put it up against a Fender PassPort Mini..
The passport held it's own in volume..
The room was app 40x50 clubhouse with 12 foot ceilings

The Mugig... put on 60% volume on both guitar and vocals.. 75% on master
it was plenty loud for this room with no noise other than me..

The amp works on battery only and the charger is just for that... there is no volume increase plugging in the charger..
Which a lot of these amps work both ways

I'm not good at these reviews... but here is the way I see it...
It sounds great
Vocal and Acoustic...
Plenty loud for small rooms with people
Light weight
Pole mount
angle cab...
Bluetooth...couldn't try it sorry
Nice to look at
small foot print

I really like it....

Next weekend I'll put it up against the Korg MMA130 I got coming and Ill link them for fun....
Old 06-25-2017, 05:02 PM

Thanks for posting about this amp. Do you think this compares well to a Cube Street or is it more a mobile cube?
How do you see the build quality?
How's the reverb?
How big and heavy as compared to the Passport Mini and AC33?
How long did you get on batteries at the gig?
How's the distortion sound when you overload it a little?
Which was louder, all in all, the Passport Mini or this?

Did you try the debugged out?<s>
Old 06-25-2017, 05:12 PM

The power brick is 13.8v/2000mah, right? I saw a youtube video a while ago where Lepai 2020 amp was bench tested and it put out 7.83w @ 2% distortion, if I remember correctly, that's per side I think. Its brick is 12v/2000mah.

I'll look for the video again.

Last edited by dannyg1; 06-25-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:16 PM

Really interesting! The size, the weight, especially the price. A fraction of the Roland AC33.

https://www.amazon.com/Mugig-Acousti...keywords=Mugig

If the sound quality and output is reasonable, this has real potential.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:17 PM

Reverb is good, I'll try the DI next weekend with the Korg, I would say it's more street Cube, the passport actually sounded good but didn't have the highs the Mugig did, and I the the Mugig would get louder

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2017, 05:20 PM

I played over two hours vocal and guitar, no problem with power/battery, other than effects I think this is similar to the street Cube

Old 06-25-2017, 05:21 PM

I didn't get into distortion, forgot to Max it, next weekend 😀

Old 06-25-2017, 06:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

You gotta love Amazon. Mine arrived yesterday.

Pretty good amp for $85. Very similar to the Crate Limo. Not as loud and not as much headroom. Still usable in a very small room. I could easily see putting this thing on a stand and doing a small outdoor wedding with just a nylon string guitar.

It's not near as hi-fi as the Sunburst Great/EAE amps but they cost five times as much. First impression is the Mugig has better headroom; distorts a little later but not much louder.

Tracks, using Bluetooth, sound a little better through the Mugig than through the Limo. Not anywhere close to the EAE. I'd probably not use the Mugig for anything that needed tracks (nor would I use the Limo). The low end punch is just not there like with the EAE. The Mugig is fine for acoustic guitar and probably voice but not enough to reproduce bass and kick drum - especially acoustic bass.

The reverb is not strong but it sounds fine. The delay works but I don't know what I'd do with it.

Bottom line is that it's an amazing value. I see they are now $130 without the lightning deal but that's still a pretty good price.

(Yes, the charger is 13.8v, 2amps)
Old 06-25-2017, 06:13 PM

Thanks for a more of a comparison review

Old 06-25-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post

It's not near as hi-fi as the Sunburst Great/EAE amps but they cost five times as much. First impression is the Mugig has better headroom; distorts a little later but not much louder.

)
You gotta love no-name branded Chinese stuff. I also bought one of these, but wanted to give Casd57 his chance to review it first, because he found it and deserved to have his impressions out there. Thx CASD57, for turning us on to this amp.

I quoted the above John, because I'm wondering if you could clarify which amp is which in your quote. Is the Mugig directly competitive with the EAE 4"?
Old 06-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Lol, did you get yours yet?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:09 PM

Yeah. I've had it since last Thursday. It's what I've been using as the front end for the Korg amp. Wait until you hear those together. The debugged output is a line out and it works just fine.

A couple of things I've noticed:

The sides appear to be made of wood, so if you disregard the amazingly cheap looking knobs, this amp looks Schertleresque. It's got a truly nice presentation as far as it looks, way better than any other small battery amp I be seen.

The reverb is a touch odd in that the delay never is out of the instrument channel. They just speed it up to very fast when you set it off and they hope you won't notice. Tap-mute a treble sting at high volume to confirm.

There's no eq on the instrument channel, but it's nominal set seems to be very nice so not bad. It distorts very gracefully and sounds pleasing even when you push it.

When you run this with the korg as slave, don't push the channels too hard. Make them loud, like 3 o'clock (on the Mugig) but that's about it. You can push the instrument channel a little more but not the vocal. Be very careful with clipping the channel on the Korg. You only want to see the red channel light above the put hit for a millisecond every once in a while.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:15 PM

Excellent! Thanks, you know I did notice in your prior post about the Korg, you kept talking about a small amp in front of the Korg, now I know lol

Old 06-25-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Excellent! Thanks, you know I did notice in your prior post about the Korg, you kept talking about a small amp in front of the Korg, now I know lol

You know you laugh but I never know exactly what I'm going to have said that pisses people off around here, so I've got to be extra careful. You Gringo's are *way* sensitive.....<s> I think Hunter wants to shoot me<s>
Old 06-25-2017, 07:51 PM

Lol, naw probably just a group hug

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification