The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 PM

Default PUTW Dynamic Duo

Hello everyone,

I installed a PUTW Dynamic Duo and have a clip on it! Can't find a clip on YouTube anywhere for this model so I made one with my new D18. :-) I love these pick ups. Started out with a Fishman Matrix and Quackbuster with previous guitars. It got worn out moving it around too much. Ooops. Also have the DD installed in my Yamaha LL16.

https://youtu.be/Eis2-sIWToU

Sorry just got to share. I am also using the Radial SB-4 DI. That thing is so worth the price with transducer pick-ups. Perfect if you have a sound tech mixing.

Also this website is very cool and I'm sure most of you guys know it. Confirmed what I wanted on the Dynamic Duo. http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Old 05-02-2017, 06:31 AM

FWIW, I'm a fan of the PUTW pickups as well. For my own taste, PUTW's I/O UST is still the best sounding UST that I've tried.

I don't happen to like the inside-the-guitar "flavor" of soundboard pickups much, so I haven't used a Dynamic Duo in quite awhile. As soundboard pickups go, however, PUTW's #27 has worked as well for me as any that I've tried.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:19 AM

I love PUTW and have their #54 wired in stereo to my LB6. It's definitely not the ideal pickup combo as the 54 would def work more easily w/their UST, but I like the LB6 and am pretty committed to it. I've thought about installing their Dynamic Trio in another guitar of mine, but their output has been my only concern. Overall, I think they're the best sounding and lightest install SBTs out there. Much clearer and more natural than K&K and not nearly as cumbersome to install as Trance. I don't even think of them as SBTs so much as microphonic film, though I'm sure that's the definition of a SBT
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 05-02-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I love PUTW and have their #54 wired in stereo to my LB6. It's definitely not the ideal pickup combo as the 54 would def work more easily w/their UST, but I like the LB6 and am pretty committed to it. I've thought about installing their Dynamic Trio in another guitar of mine, but their output has been my only concern. Overall, I think they're the best sounding and lightest install SBTs out there. Much clearer and more natural than K&K and not nearly as cumbersome to install as Trance. I don't even think of them as SBTs so much as microphonic film, though I'm sure that's the definition of a SBT
I think that matching the film piezo PUTW SBT(s) with a crystal piezo UST might work better for my own taste, as the higher output crystal piezo pickup would dominate the pairing more.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I think that matching the film piezo PUTW SBT(s) with a crystal piezo UST might work better for my own taste, as the higher output crystal piezo pickup would dominate the pairing more.
The tone is definitely nice with the LB6's clean UST tone and the 54's mic-like air and ambiance. Actually, I essentially treat the 54 as a mic and cut its bass heavily and crank its gain to compete with the LB6's power. I use a Baggs MixPro to blend the two and the tone is really nice, but it is more equipment that I have to fiddle with and bring with me and increasingly I'm happy with the sound of the LB6 through a Body Rez. Keep it simple, you know?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 06-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboymfs View Post
Hello everyone,

I installed a PUTW Dynamic Duo and have a clip on it! Can't find a clip on YouTube anywhere for this model so I made one with my new D18. :-) I love these pick ups. Started out with a Fishman Matrix and Quackbuster with previous guitars. It got worn out moving it around too much. Ooops. Also have the DD installed in my Yamaha LL16.

https://youtu.be/Eis2-sIWToU

Sorry just got to share. I am also using the Radial SB-4 DI. That thing is so worth the price with transducer pick-ups. Perfect if you have a sound tech mixing.

Also this website is very cool and I'm sure most of you guys know it. Confirmed what I wanted on the Dynamic Duo. http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
I thought it sounded great on Doug’s site but not so good on your YouTube video. How does it sound with a little eq and reverb? Can you get it closer to sounding like the mic?
Old 06-25-2019, 11:57 AM

If I played the pickup sample first, you would have thought that sounded good. I should have done that!

Yea, it does sound good on Doug’s site. That’s another reason why I picked it. Overall I like it better than the K & K. You can eq and make it better but still not close enough to sound like a mic. I just like that I can hear through the mix and still hear the resonance of the body. Plus no battery. I hate having to worry about a battery during live performances.

I would be alright with a Martin installed with the lr Baggs anthem since the battery compartment is included to make it easy to replace the battery. That would be worth it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification