The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-22-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I just ordered one (new to me, but used) from GC at a bargain price. Kind of bummed to hear about the low output direct to a powered speaker--I was hoping for a fast setup when playing as a one man band.

In the past I had a great harmony pedal that I sold and have been wanting another one ever since. I have several gigs this summer where I'll be short a couple singers, so it will be nice to have background vocals again.
I have never had this issue. I always go Direct to powered speakers.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Kind of bummed to hear about the low output direct to a powered speaker--I was hoping for a fast setup when playing as a one man band.
I've never had this problem. In fact, I run cables to the Aux In on two powered speakers and use the Play Acoustic Stereo setting. I get a very clean, clear, and loud sound. I'm very happy with the Play Acoustic.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
I've never had this problem. In fact, I run cables to the Aux In on two powered speakers and use the Play Acoustic Stereo setting. I get a very clean, clear, and loud sound. I'm very happy with the Play Acoustic.
I agree, i own the unit and even run the units output gain at -12db into the xlr input on a behringer mixer. Anything less than -10db and i get all kinds of clipping at the mixer even with little to no gain on the board.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:50 PM

Once I get mine, I'll be sure to update the firmware and will report back as to whether I have this problem. I am not feeling so apprehensive at the moment thanks to the last three responses.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 PM

Yup, no problems here at all with levels etc. I run mine into a small mackie mixer, then into a powered speaker for solo gigs. Works beautifully.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:48 AM

Why use a mixer if it's just a solo gig? Couldn't you just plug straight into the powered speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Sound View Post
Yup, no problems here at all with levels etc. I run mine into a small mackie mixer, then into a powered speaker for solo gigs. Works beautifully.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Why use a mixer if it's just a solo gig? Couldn't you just plug straight into the powered speaker?
The mixer just gives me quick access to any little EQ and level tweaks if need be. I sit it on a stool beside the mic stand. It's certainly not essential but I really like having it. It's a Mackie 402 VLZ3, super cheap second hand, small and well built.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM

So far I'm really liking the unit. Excellent info here in this thread. It was nice to know about the guitar effects being global. Also, the latest version of the firmware gives you delay on the guitar effects! At first I was skeptical, but the user interface is really intuitive and pretty easy to get used to.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:43 AM

Yes the depth of this unit is remarkable. Could be the best value in all of guitar-land. But you have to put in the time to learn your way around.
I took one entire afternoon with the manual.

Quote:
So far I'm really liking the unit. Excellent info here in this thread. It was nice to know about the guitar effects being global. Also, the latest version of the firmware gives you delay on the guitar effects! At first I was skeptical, but the user interface is really intuitive and pretty easy to get used to.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:25 AM

Yes the depth of this unit is remarkable. Could be the best value in all of guitar-land. But you have to put in the time to learn your way around.
I took one entire afternoon with the manual.

Quote:
Old 06-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Anyone bypassing the guitar input? I just don’t like the way this colors the sound. I turn the Bodyrez to zero, but it still seems to alter the sound somewhat. I like the sound when I plug in direct to the mixer better.

Is there any way to get a more direct sound? Seems like the guitar loses its punch.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:25 PM

there may be a way, but then you won't be able to use the guitar chords to determine key for harmony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Anyone bypassing the guitar input? I just don’t like the way this colors the sound. I turn the Bodyrez to zero, but it still seems to alter the sound somewhat. I like the sound when I plug in direct to the mixer better.

Is there any way to get a more direct sound? Seems like the guitar loses its punch.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
there may be a way, but then you won't be able to use the guitar chords to determine key for harmony.
Right now, I plug my guitar direct into my mixer in channel 1 and the vocal from the Play Acoustic in channel two. I take the FX out of the mixer, send only my guitar through the effects circuit and I put the FX out to the guitar input of the Play Acoustic. I then turn the guitar output of the Play Acoustic to zero. This way I have the harmonies directed. However I would like to be able to use the guitar reverb, chorus and delay and under this setup I cannot.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

If you want the harmonies and some reverb, you might consider going from a Play Acoustic to a Gxt - you can have the guitar "play through" without it being affected by the pedal; you just get the guitar to guide the harmonies.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 AM

Are you sure the mixer isn't coloring the sound?
If you plug in PA with zero Bodyrez you notice a difference when
you turn the unit on and off?

Quote:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification