The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2019, 06:24 PM

It would be neat if Schatten released an HFN where it wasn't just one single abs base and a single transducer but instead, three individual feet and three individual sensors. I realize this is basically like the K&K but with the transducers elevated but I feel as though it would completely correct any issues with missing bass or warped bridge plates.

I tried my HFN through an electric amp the other day and it sounded amazing. The downside is that generally when I plug it into a pa, it sounds fairly weak in the low end. Mind you, the last time I tried it out, I played it through a Radial PZ Deluxe and I am thinking that I had the impedance set to a position where the HFN just didn't sound right.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:00 PM

I haven't had any lack of bass with any of my installs. I wonder are you in the same boat as Jon where the pickup wasn't making proper contact.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I haven't had any lack of bass with any of my installs. I wonder are you in the same boat as Jon where the pickup wasn't making proper contact.
I doubt it. I have probably installed three different HFN's in my guitar with a good ten different attempts and all have been the same. It's hard to explain but the low E just seems distant when played as a single note. I will probably try some more installations and see. I think Jon had the issue with tape, I have been using putty.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It would be neat if Schatten released an HFN where it wasn't just one single abs base and a single transducer but instead, three individual feet and three individual sensors. I realize this is basically like the K&K but with the transducers elevated but I feel as though it would completely correct any issues with missing bass or warped bridge plates.

I tried my HFN through an electric amp the other day and it sounded amazing. The downside is that generally when I plug it into a pa, it sounds fairly weak in the low end. Mind you, the last time I tried it out, I played it through a Radial PZ Deluxe and I am thinking that I had the impedance set to a position where the HFN just didn't sound right.
Engage the pz boost switch on the side of the tonebone. This switches the impedance from 6.8k to 10megohm. This is where the HFN should sound best.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I doubt it. I have probably installed three different HFN's in my guitar with a good ten different attempts and all have been the same. It's hard to explain but the low E just seems distant when played as a single note. I will probably try some more installations and see. I think Jon had the issue with tape, I have been using putty.
I ordered another passive HFN today. Last one I ordered from Cosmo Music was $104.99 plus shipping charges which I believe was an additional 15-20 dollars. I ordered this one from Cosmo through Reverb for the same $104.99 with free shipping. Funny that if you order through their own website they charge you shipping.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I ordered another passive HFN today. Last one I ordered from Cosmo Music was $104.99 plus shipping charges which I believe was an additional 15-20 dollars. I ordered this one from Cosmo through Reverb for the same $104.99 with free shipping. Funny that if you order through their own website they charge you shipping.
That is very strange. Cosmo is about an hour away from me so if I do order online, it tends to always be free shipping. It's weird how companies work though. It must be some deal they have with reverb.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:24 PM

I went ahead and ordered my third Schatten Passive HFN for my last guitar. Properly installed, which is easy, it is a no battery no glue no signal processing fine sounding pickup. Relative to the AGF approved K&K Pure Mini, it is maybe 3+ dB lower output and less sensitive to load impedance while being a nice step up in tone. I can use it without EQ.

Blue Star Music has the passive HFN in-stock.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-02-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I went ahead and ordered my third Schatten Passive HFN for my last guitar. Properly installed, which is easy, it is a no battery no glue no signal processing fine sounding pickup. Relative to the AGF approved K&K Pure Mini, it is maybe 3+ dB lower output and less sensitive to load impedance while being a nice step up in tone. I can use it without EQ.

Blue Star Music has the passive HFN in-stock.
Okay, you (and many others) have beaten me into submission. I'm going to try this system although I'm going with the active system with the volume and tone control. I'll post how it goes.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I can use it without EQ.
Ah ha so I'm not alone with the "no eq" thing!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Ah ha so I'm not alone with the "no eq" thing!

Evidently, it’s just the two of you. Lol
Old 07-02-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Evidently, it’s just the two of you. Lol
That is funny. I do remember others as well but there's been too many threads to remember. In lieu of Jon's recent venture it would be a good idea for people to revisit their installs if they had any doubts.

I'll be doing another install tomorrow or soon after. That'll be my 4th install and each so far has lots of low end.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Depending on how the Lyric performs this weekend, I may be considering an active HFN for the new Modern Deluxe. I don’t sound too confident in the Lyric do I?
Old 07-06-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Depending on how the Lyric performs this weekend, I may be considering an active HFN for the new Modern Deluxe. I don’t sound too confident in the Lyric do I?
No you don't lol
Old 07-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Passive HFN #3 is now installed in my RainSong dreadnought (all three are installed with tape). It sounds great with no EQ. I think a loud gig with floor monitors would be a problem with this guitar and I'd need to knock down the bass in that case.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 07-06-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:23 PM

Schatten passive in my J45 and lg2 — no eq. Sounds great. The K&k mini in my Collings C10 needs some eq.

Not having to worry about a battery during a performance — priceless!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification