The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Bought 2 guitars last year - one cost 10x more than the other - one makes you work to get the best out of it - the other lays it out for you - both are extremely enjoyable to play - both make me smile.

Whew that Huss & Dalton looks fun as the day is long, Bruce!!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 06-24-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Back in the day before one could buy bicycle components made from lightweight metals, drilling out bike parts to save weight was all the rage...
Ahh yes, the ancient and obscure element known as drillium...
Old 06-24-2019, 07:07 PM

When I started to play guitar I couldn't afford much, I bought the best my budget would allow.

Now many years later I can afford the guitars I want.

I would like to add, I still have and play that very first guitar I bought.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
But there is no direct relationship between greatness and economically priced (which in turn doesn't have to mean "not much money").
True. correlation does not equate to causation. But correlation can be in indicator.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Back in the day before one could buy bicycle components made from lightweight metals, drilling out bike parts to save weight was all the rage...
Excellent. Now we know how many holes that it will take to fill the Albert Hall...
Old 06-24-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Financial means most likely? Unwillingness to spend too much money on an expensive guitar? Still exploring which tone-woods combinations to go for? Years of experience one has playing the guitar? Current skill level of one’s playing?

I leave you to decide what’s economically-priced and what’s high-end guitars.

For me, the reasons are all the above. I consider my guitars (see my signature) to fall within and nearer to the range of economically priced guitars.

How and why do you choose the guitar or guitars you now own?
Because I can hear and feel the difference. I don't have other, expensive hobbies or tastes. And as I tend to buy and hold I tend to be choosy. OMMV
Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
I guess I’m in the minority here, but I am a sucker for high end, luthier made guitars. But I’ve always had a compulsion to get the “best” equipment. Anyone who really knows guitar would not think my skill level even comes close “justifying” some of the guitars I’ve owned. I’ve worked very hard in my profession and I can afford them and they bring me great pleasure. So I’m at peace with that!

Absolutely justified because you’ve worked hard and deserve the finer things in life!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
My most expensive guitar was purchased as kind of a milestone. When I turned 50, I had the money (not always the case) and decided that it was the time and purchased a Martin HD 28. I considered the D18v, the 35s- even a 41.
Now, my playing ability did not dictate me getting this guitar. It was just time, a now or never kind of thing.

Today, I have six guitars. From the HD 28 on the high end, to a Seagull S6 that I bought as a new but damaged instrument, ($225) The qualifier was liking the guitar and being able to play it.

I have never been out to impress anybody. Only 2 of the six I own, did I buy new.

I don't get hung up on having the latest, greatest guitar. That is a game you can never win, IMO. When I am feeling less than satified with any guitar I have, I play something else, put on new strings or just realize the tomorrow is another day.

I honestly get as much pleasure from one as much as the next, depending on my mood, what I am playing. I don't think of any guitar as a cheapie.

If there is a deficit, it's my playing or lack of understanding of something and a $4000 guitar won't change that.

Todays more moderately priced guitars are SO much better than those of years ago. It is actually pretty amazing that you can get excellent tone from a $200 instrument.

I think too many players are too impatient and don't take the time to get the max from whichever guitar they have. Saddle choice, strings, pins, set up, playing in, etc.

I say whatever you have to play, enjoy what you can do with it. Create. Make music.

+ 1. Very well said and written. I agree. Thanks!
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
How and why do you choose the guitar or guitars you now own?

I'd like to respond to this part of the OP's initial thread starter.

My first guitar (late '60s) cost me £16 new. I knew nothing about tonewoods body sizes, or tonality, I just new tat I'd had enough of playing drums in ever louder and larger venues and wanted to get back to ... "music".

Over many years I traded up, until I got a D35 in 1975.

Apart from a break from 1983-1993 when I was too ill to play, I slowly learned what I needed in a guitar, and discovered that a wider fretboard solved most of my issues in 1999.

12 fret designs were a revelation and so suited y style and fingers that whenever I saw one reasonably priced (usually on eBay) I bid and slowly (rarely more than one a year) I acquired a small collection - smaller bodies, short scales, a 12 string, resonators etc.

So, the answer, or at least mine, was to learn what suited me best rather than go for bling and standard offerings.

Thanks SM for your contribution!
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:48 PM

Thank you everyone who has contributed to this thread! I’ve enjoyed reading your opinions (reasons) on why you buy and own the guitars you have.
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 AM

I was searching for a particular tone for almost 2 years with a ballpark price in mind. Financially, I could afford to go crazy but I wanted only one instrument that has the sound that speaks to me and travel with me wherever I go internationally. Played many instruments and I ended up picking this OM without knowing the company, or what the woods are/do for the sound. I learned all that in this forum!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:08 PM

The guitar, by itself, is an art. An art to be appreciated.

Just like any art form, there are expensive ones and cheaper ones. It depends on your taste rather than your wallet.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:23 PM

When I was younger money went for kids, cars, food, and house. I had decent but inexpensive Epiphones, Taks and Alvarez.

After the kids were out of the house I had more money and could afford nicer and have ended up with a couple of Martins, one of them a 000-42 that I bought for my pending retirement.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 PM

......not going to read 9 pages of comments. I struggled for many years and have only recently been able to afford the things I dreamed about in my youth. Worth the wait.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:47 PM

Why do some own economically- priced guitars and some own high-end guitars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I own both. I like both.
Guitar snobbery is silly. Guitar reverse snobbery is equally silly.

Wade Hampton Miller

Thanks for that comment, Wade.

Some general thoughts follow.

Like Wade, many of us own guitars of all values.

But I would ask what is an economically priced guitar?
What is a "high-end" guitar?

The answers to these questions will vary from person to person.

I really don't want to talk pricing per se, but I will say that buying used can get you some great deals.

There is a price point for guitars which seems to exist mostly between solid wood body guitars and laminated body guitars. This seems to be a large factor in the cost of steel string guitars in general, and which seems to exist for new instruments around the 1K price point. (Yes, I know it can be higher or lower; just an throwing out an estimated number.) This can be a crucial divide for many players. Is this where 'high-end' and 'economically-priced' meet? Is there a middle ground?

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion