The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM

Default Kustom PA50

Got one of these recently and ordered it through Target on line, thus got a 5% discount by using my red card. So, that came to $95.00 delivered to my Post Office box. Got a couple of Behringer mics, two XLR cables, and one "Y" cable, so I could run both mics through the same channel thereby leaving the other channel for my 1/4" guitar cord from my acoustic guitar with a K&K stick on pickup. Also got a Behringer AD121 preamp, as my acoustic is a might weak being a passive pickup. My guitar is Hohner HW03, which is a smaller acoustic about 36" tip to tip. That guitar is nothing special, but serves my purpose. Had a little shop do a setup and restring, as I hadn't played it in years, and had been using it for slide with thicker strings and larger string height. Asked them to put on thinner strings, and reset the string height for regular, non-slide use.

Turned out pretty good too. I can actually still play decent sounding slide on it, and still finger the frets pretty well.

My soon to be 9 year old grandaughter and I have written a song that we will perform at her birthday next month. I've been a guitar hack for many years, but have never sang and played, even in the three bands I played guitar in during the '70s. 65 years old seems a might late for starting a singing enterprise, but I'm doing it with my marginal voice.

Anyway, we're having fun and will do the song at her party towards the end of July. I didn't want to spend to much on this, but needed to run two mics. I like the Kustom PA50, but would like to maybe get a guitar with a built in preamp and battery, just to compare how it works with an active vs passive pickup. The vocals and two mics work fine and sound good too.

Anyway, it's all in fun for us. I knew Robin (our granddaughter) would go nuts over singing with grampaw through mics, being the little ham she is.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:44 PM

That sounds great. Your grand daughter will love this.

I had the same speaker and it will work well for your purpose. I actually want to create a small performer stage for my grand daughter using the same set up. I wanted to build this for her play room so she could have some curtains, small stage lights, a mic and a powered speaker (the Kustom 50) to sing and play some tracks through for her to perform.

You two have fun. She will always remember her grand father doing this together with her.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:12 PM

I have two Kustom 50 powered speakers and I am quite happy with them. I use them together for a PA system for smaller venues, or I use just one for a monitor when using a larger PA. I also use an acoustic with a built in preamp and battery, or a different acoustic with a K&K transducer and an external preamp. Both sound good with the Kustom speakers.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:08 PM

Yes, I can see why people like these.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:40 PM

@birdmove, I own, use and lend my 10 Kustom PA50/PowerWerks PW50 to other artists without guilt. They can all be daisy chained with XLR microphone cables for more channels and power.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification