The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I'm not exactly sure of the exact dimensions of the backpacker, but perhaps a Pelican rifle case (or equivalent) might meet your need. I recall a thread somewhere here on the forum where someone used a larger Pelican to house their Composite Acoustics Cargo. You'd have to carve/scoop out the foam, but if the dimensions work for you, you might be able to protect your noble little Backpacker for $150 or so.

Austin

Last edited by pukematrix; 06-25-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
How 'bout a Go Puffy Gig Bag? Sam Radding of Go Guitars provides a Puffy Gig Bag that is about the same size, but with much more padding. It's probably twice a thick around the body of the guitar. Looks like it retails at $45. I haven't compared the specs, but the guitars are about the same size. The Puffy Gig Bag is a much better bag.

http://www.go-guitars.com/options.html
Sam retired from his Go Guitars business a couple of years ago. (I spoke with the man directly over the phone, and he confirmed.) It's possible that there might be extra bags around, but I don't think there's any guarantee.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 PM

There are all sorts of ukulele cases, lots on Amazon. I would think you could find something decent and not too expensive that would fit a backpacker
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 06-25-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
Sam retired from his Go Guitars business a couple of years ago. (I spoke with the man directly over the phone, and he confirmed.)
That's what I understood too, but the site indicates Go is still active. Did he sell the business? Or hire staff members? Or change his mind?
Old 06-25-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
That's what I understood too, but the site indicates Go is still active. Did he sell the business? Or hire staff members? Or change his mind?
Sam made a custom one for me all the way back in 2009 (which unfortunately didn't last too long - not his fault, mine for not really knowing what I wanted at that time). He was operating out of his garage, doing everything by himself. At one time he had a sizable staff, but the economics forced him to downscale to a single-man operation.

Anyway, in his words he just chose to close the business, because he was getting older and didn't have anyone to take over for him. He still might be doing some one-off projects, but I didn't really pry deep into that during the call. As for the site, he just didn't bother updating/closing it.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
I think I remember seeing someone use a pretty generic rifle case. Not something that would get you locked away in the airport type.
Hofner was doing this for a number of years with their euphemistically-named "Bullet" Halliburton-style case, in reality a converted shotgun case - my wife's early-2K's 5000/1 Deluxe came in one, and I saw it in its original form in Dick's Sporting Goods on several occasions...
Old 06-26-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opencee View Post
Are you implying that getting a better case for a Backpacker is like putting lipstick on a pig?

That's funny, and probably true; HOWEVER, I really enjoy my Backpacker. Playing it means I'm enjoying an adventure with the added benefit of self-made music. It's been to 19 states in three years, in hot and cold cars, in hotels and tents, at beaches and fire rings, in drizzle and dirt, and abused by grandchildren and dogs.

A couple years ago, I was stung numerous times on my face and arms while working in my yard on a hot and sweaty day. I went looking for them and they stung me again. It was a call to action. I sat for hours in a lawn chair in the danger zone playing the Backpacker while watching for any activity that might point me to the nest of the offending yellowjackets. I played with my left eye swelled shut, ready with a garden hose and insecticide to spray the nest if it was revealed to me. I figured I could drop the Backpacker and run, or swat with it if I was attacked. My wife came out of the house, saw me in that pitiful state, shook her head, mumbled something, and went back in. I figured out how to play a nice fingerstyle version of the early 60s classic, "Sleepwalk", that day, in spite of the heat, sweat, pain, itching, swelling, and danger.

Music with adventure OR danger; I just never worry about it with my Backpacker.

The bag that came with it is plenty functional.

If I had to get rid of my guitars one by one, my Backpacker would be the next-to-last to go, just for the fun factor relative to the investment. Of course, my Custom Shop Martin would be last, but it would have to yanked violently from my hands.

opencee

OK maybe I will leave well enough alone!! Thanks for all the replies
Old 06-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info, Tokyo. Glad I got to work with Sam when I did. Great little guitars.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:18 PM

Old 08-07-2022, 12:12 PM

Just like most people who have a Martin Backpacker, I take mine on my travels; it's the portability factor. Nevertheless, it is an all wood guitar and could be damaged accidentally.
Looking for a better case for my Martin Backpacker acoustic guitar, I researched discussion threads and blogs on the Internet, spoke with local guitarists and stores, only to find that cases that had to be special ordered, made, no were longer available, or way too expensive.
I came across the ROAD RUNNER PARLOR acoustic guitar gig bag that fit the Backpacker from headstock to bottom strap button. Interior dimensions L=37", bout width 15", thickness of padding 4.5". I placed some cotton material along the sides of the guitar to prevent movement in the case. It did the job-safe and protected in comparison to the original Martin soft case that came with it. The only advantage I see to the original soft case is that you could more easily strap it to the side of your backpack if hiking.
I hope someone may find this helpful in their search for a better made gig bag to keep their Martin Backpacker safe and protected, still lightweight, and not too expensive.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:37 PM

Are those things much bigger than a ukulele? Maybe a good use gig bag..
Old 08-07-2022, 04:12 PM

Default L x W x D needed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
Are those things much bigger than a ukulele? Maybe a good use gig bag..

>>> So what is the L x W x D of the Martin Backpacker Guitar?? Found no specs online. Saw a group picture where the Backpacker looked the same length or a bit longer than a 35” guitar.

- Fender sell an inexpensive very nice wedge sleeve bag for the 34 1/2" x 12" x 2" Squire Mini Strat that is often in stock at bigger stores.

- Ukulele bags are too short because the longest are 30-32”

Cheers
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 08-08-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I owned 2 Backpackers. I used the first one a lot for camping. The frustrating thing was there was no body to hold onto. You have to use the strap even when seated. I traded it away. A few years later I bought another at a flea market. Kept that for several years but never played it. Gave it to one of my nieces.

I own an octave mandolin that did not come with a case. It was a factory prototype from Mid Missouri Mandolin Co. I tried several cases and bought a case for a tenor banjo. Nice padded case that holds the mandolin with a little added padding.

Definitely check into mountain dulcimer cases. I bet you can find some nice looking cases that would hold a backpacker.

Last edited by drive-south; 08-08-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:03 AM

This thread was 3 years old before revival so I imagine the OP figured it out. Like a few here I own a BP and I've used it once or twice but if I played it a half dozen times that would be a lot. I just didn't like the feel or the tone. I thought it'd make a good travel guitar but it's not even that, AFAIC here's the best possible case for a MBP: https://bit.ly/3SMiYKj

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion