The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2019, 10:01 AM

If you have an Android phone, there are several WiFi activity monitoring apps available. This is a great way to see how much activity is happening in the 2.4 and 5GHz ranges.

Apple locks developers out of this, so there are not IOS apps to monitor WiFi.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Ipa53, If you don't mind sharing info, would you please provide a link to the system that you recently purchased that works with both active and passive pickups? Thank you!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have used the Behringer XR series mixers quite a bit for live sound. Much of this was in hotel ballrooms. What I found was that the 2.5GHz range was packed full of activity and all but useless during events, but the 5GHz was almost completely free. Yes, there was WiFi there, but it was consistently very little traffic. The same thing with high school auditoriums.

The absolute worst case was when one or more people decided to live stream a show over the local WiFi. I would be kicked of the the system completely. It was utterly terrifying!

All those problems went away completely when I bought a little Apple Airport Express and started using the 5GHz band.

You probably aren’t going to have a problem at all in in a rural area, or a regular bar, community center etc.. What will bring a 2.4GHz system to it’s knees is a downtown club, anything near an apartment building, a school facility etc.. any situation where there is a lot of WiFi activity.

For now at least, the 5GHz band is a lot less used.

By the way, this is a 5.8GHz system. Maybe someone knows better than me, but I don’t believe it conflicts with the 5GHz range.
You're correct, I should have checked. Most modern, faster WiFi is in the 5 GHz band, not the 5.8 GHz channels.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-24-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Ipa53, If you don't mind sharing info, would you please provide a link to the system that you recently purchased that works with both active and passive pickups? Thank you!
So as not to promote any one vendor, I sent you a PM.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 07-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Default wireles guitar sistem

Hello Ipa 53, would you please provide a link to the system that you recently purchased that works with both active and passive pickups? send me a PM please, Thank you!
Jhony
Old 07-06-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhony View Post
Hello Ipa 53, would you please provide a link to the system that you recently purchased that works with both active and passive pickups? send me a PM please, Thank you!
Jhony
I sent the link in a PM.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 07-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I ordered 3, received 2. After sending photos of the packaging to prove that I only received 2 they agreed to ship the third set, which according to USPS tracking should arrive on Monday.

The 2 that I received work fine.

I will update when (if) 3rd set received.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:51 AM

2nd time live with my unbranded 5.8GHz system. A 45-minute set at a summer festival. Transmitter in my J-15 (with a K&K Pure Mini), receiver in my Red-Eye (on my pedalboard)... Flawless.

I love playing with this system! I have video from the show, but I didn't want to 'spam' the board with my videos.

Anyway, I highly recommend these things!
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 07-08-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
2nd time live with my unbranded 5.8GHz system. A 45-minute set at a summer festival. Transmitter in my J-15 (with a K&K Pure Mini), receiver in my Red-Eye (on my pedalboard)... Flawless.

I love playing with this system! I have video from the show, but I didn't want to 'spam' the board with my videos. [emoji38]

Anyway, I highly recommend these things!
I've been using two pair of the ZXK ones at home for the last two months. So far no issues at all while running them in the house

I keep one pair charging while I use the other pair if I'm practicing and both together with other players.

Love the wireless freedom and I can't hear a sound quality difference vs corded.

I have used them with my Schatten plus 2 active, Baggs vtc and Anthem, active Jackson pickup system, whatever the pickup is on my Yamaha Silent Guitar, and then the passive Alnico setup on my electric as well as a couple of active pickups on my ukuleles.

Last edited by Aspiring; 07-08-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Short story: Buyer beware.

I received the 3rd set yesterday.

To recap: I ordered 3, received 2 initially. After providing photos of the packaging to the seller to prove that it was not possible for me to have received 3 items, the seller eventually, after 4 or 5 days, shipped a 3rd item.

On eBay, the seller 2626 positive feedbacks, 22 neutral feedbacks, 31 negative feedbacks. Several of the negative feedbacks noted that quantity received was less than the quantity ordered.

It seems to me that it's possible that the seller sent me the wrong amount by mistake. Or not. I'm not judging one way or the other. I am glad that this story had a (relatively) good ending.

The incident re-inforced to me the importance of being careful with online transactions, including: Keep all documentation, keep all packaging. Take a photo BEFORE opening the package. Take a photo AFTER opening the package. Be polite, insistent and overwhelmingly convincing when you need to challenge or dispute an order.

I purchase maybe 1 - 6 items a year on eBay. Fortunately, I have never been cheated.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Also, I appreciate the kindness of the fellow AGF member who shared the source of his order.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:30 PM

Thank you very much Ipa53 for the Pm you sent me, appreciated!
Old 09-29-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laocmo View Post
Just bought a Carvin WG5 Wireless Guitar System. First system I've found that works perfectly with my Ovation active acoustic electric. Even Ovation says there is only a 50/50 chance the most commonly seen systems will work with their guitars (begs the question.....why??).
That's great to know that there were no problems, but as an Adamas-only player, I've never had any problems with any of the wireless systems I've had over the years so I've got no idea why they would even suggest that a wireless wouldn't work with their active electronics.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

I just ordered a Carvin WG5 Wireless Guitar and Bass System. This will be my first experience with wireless and I hope it goes well!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-29-2019, 12:08 PM

I wish there were more dealers for these. I tried the sennheiser xsw-d instrument base set but when plugged into my amp, I got a lot of hiss so I returned it. Still considering trying another. So far, the line 6 g10 is the best I have tried but the active pickup issue is a con for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification