The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2019, 09:03 PM

Default Is anybody live looping using an iPad with a looper app? Help appreciated!

Hi, all.

I just downloaded the app Loopy on my iPad 2, and it's pretty amazing, but I am trying to figure out the best way to integrate it with my gear.

I had an old iRig thing laying around (little plastic barrel shaped thing). It hooks up into the iPad 1/8" headphone socket, and has an 1/8" out for headphones. I run that into my Fishman Loudbox using a 1/8" x 1/4" adapter.

This makes a bunch of hissing, and the app developer told me that the noise is coming from the iRig. I thought it was the iPad mic picking stuff up, but he says it's disabled when plugged in. He says it's 'crosstalk' coming from the iRig. He told me to use something of better quality to interface with the iPad. My iRig is the little cheesy one, not the newer one with the knob on it.

I want to be able to run a keyboard in along with my guitar. I have a Soundcraft Notepad mixer, so here's my thought -

Acoustic guitar (Taylor GS Mini with JJB soundboard transducer) into Zoom A3 into Soundcraft channel 1, and MicroKORG synth (or Roland Juno DS) into Soundcraft channel 2. Mixer out from USB cable into Apple lightning to USB camera connection kit, into iPad lightning port (charging iPad at same time). iPad 1/8" headphone out to Fishman Loudbox, using 1/4" x 1/8" adapter.

Alternatively, I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with a USB out, I could possibly use that instead of the Soundcraft if it would be better (and if the iPad camera kit would provide enough power for it).

Can anybody confirm or deny that this would work and stop the 'crosstalk' that I'm getting using the iRig? Anyone have a better solution that they use?

If I can get this working, I would pair it all up with a Bluetooth foot controller.

Thanks for taking the time to read this mess!

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification