The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-21-2019, 06:40 PM

Default Schertler UNICO advice?

I have a Schertler UNICO 200 and I’d like a little wisdom on how to get the best out of it.
Setting gain levels is a problem (for me), given that this model has no OL indicators - in particular with a condenser mic.
Dyn In - designed for the old, no longer available Dyn pickup with 10V power. I’m guessing this isn’t enough for the later 48V Dyn PU’s, and on that subject, the current Schertlers come with 24V power - how important is the phantom voltage level anyhow?
Old 06-22-2019, 04:26 PM

OK then - TFN - I guess I'll work it out
Old 06-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

I have a Jam 150 and Jam 400 - agreed, the lack of a clipping indicator is a pain, so I just kinda guess, based on what I am plugging in - Don’t know about the phantom power for pickups, as I don’t use them. I have noticed that some mics work fine with the phantom provided, but I haven’t tried very many because I usually don’t use mics that require it when using this amp. You can check the min power requirements for most mics, I think, if there’s one you’re thinking about. Wish I could help more, but thats about all I can offer -
Old 06-22-2019, 11:32 PM

ask Schertler
Old 06-23-2019, 08:12 PM

Smile

Thanks tadol & rockabilly.
I’ve been using the suck-and-see method with an AT4040 setting the gain at around 12 o’clock It seems to work OK and I’m not tech-savvy enough to work out a better way.

rockabilly69 - I could ask Schertler but I might not get a straight answer given this article from Mr S

https://secure.schertler.com/en_IT/t...22&sn=JOPSEOL8

where he seems to be suggesting that “modern” mics have been designed for 24v power for decades. This’d seem to be at odds with what I've seen elsewhere.

http://www.microphone-data.com/media...hantom-10_.pdf

(the AT4040's not that old)
Anyway, Schertler seems to have addressed all my whinges with the new ROY with OL indicators and 48v/10v selectable on inputs and I’d get one if I had a spare AUD3000!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification