The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2020, 03:12 PM

The starter kit for those (they look like "replacement insert packs" will come with one double pouch to hang on the D & G strings so they hang down in to the guitar body and a second single pouch to put under the headstock in the case. If the guitar is really dry, with the first treatment, the pouches will get hard/stiff within a week or two. Once the humidity level of the guitar has stabilized at the 45 - 50% level, the pouches will last significantly longer - when they are new, they are real squishy, as they become depleted they get hard and stiff. Some people "re-charge" hard, stiff pouches by putting them in a tupperware box with a water, others claim by "re-charging" they get "leak-prone" and dont bother - those pouches are "two-way" humidification things - if its too dry, they will add humidity, and if it's too humid, they will pull humidity out of the case. I live in Michigan, we have down-south humidity in the summer and the forced-air heat in the winter dries out the house like Death Valley. With these Humidity packs, my 3 acoustics stay comfy in the 45-50% range all year round, and all I have to do is keep an eye on the condition of the packs to see if they are getting hard and depleted - if so, change them out. I've used them for at least 10 years now with no leakage from the packs - the fabric sleeves they provide now are also leak-proof as a backstop. As I said, I've never had a pouch leak and I've never had a guitar crack from being too dry.

Last edited by doublescale1; 09-10-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:20 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublescale1 View Post
The starter kit for those (they look like "replacement insert packs" will come with one double pouch to hang on the D & G strings so they hang down in to the guitar body and a second single pouch to put under the headstock in the case. If the guitar is really dry, with the first treatment, the pouches will get hard/stiff within a week or two. Once the humidity level of the guitar has stabilized at the 45 - 50% level, the pouches will last significantly longer - when they are new, they are real squishy, as they become depleted they get hard and stiff. Some people "re-charge" hard, stiff pouches by putting them in a tupperware box with a water, others claim by "re-charging" they get "leak-prone" and dont bother - those pouches are "two-way" humidification things - if its too dry, they will add humidity, and if it's too humid, they will pull humidity out of the case. I live in Michigan, we have down-south humidity in the summer and the forced-air heat in the winter dries out the house like Death Valley. With these Humidity packs, my 3 acoustics stay comfy in the 45-50% range all year round, and all I have to do is keep an eye on the condition of the packs to see if they are getting hard and depleted - if so, change them out.
I recharge mine twice before tossing ‘em...but I don’t wait until they are hard and stiff. I suspect hard crystals could damage the outer package and cause a leak. That’s probably why the manufacturer doesn’t recommend recharging (plus they wanna sell you more packets ). I just wait until they start to thin out then toss them in my recharge bin. Couple days later they are nice fat and juicy again and read to go back in the case.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:09 PM

Boveda humidipaks

SensorPush in case and in room monitoring

All you need...

Boveda packs are absolutely effortless. I live in Canada. In my experience there is no need to supplement humidipaks. They get it done. If you follow the directions and use the updated leak proof sleeves you should be fine. I’ve been using them successfully for some time now. I don’t know what I would do without this product at this point...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-10-2020, 05:50 PM

Tomorrow. Plans are to head to the guitar shop and get a sponge set. Thanks a bunch you guys. Appreciate the knowledge. I don't mind checking the sponge every few days. I roll my own cigarettes every day so the sponge shouldn't be a excuse.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:57 PM

My dad just bought me this!

Old 09-11-2020, 04:19 PM

With one guitar and if cost was an issue, I'd consider the sponge thing. As above, distilled water to wet the sponge. it should be good and damp when you put it in the plastic holder, but not dripping. Distilled water is available in most grocery stores, people use it in steam irons and such. Lacks some of the minerals that are in most tap and drinking water that can accelerate mold growth.

If you ever do have mold though, just get a new plain dish sponge that fits or can be cut to fit into the holder.

If you're playing daily, you can check how the sponge is doing (even the weight in the plastic container may tell you.) In a Minneapolis winter you may be re-wetting the sponge ever other day or three.

If you go with the Humidpaks, the new sack-holders are supposed to be leak proof. Things to not do: don't squeeze or press on the packs. When I put them in the bags I sort of "shimmy them in" by shaking the sack to let them slide down into the bag.

They come fully charged. The way they recommend using them in one use only. After they dry out the official method is to buy another new set.

Like others above, I recharge mine a few times before discarding. This requires a surplus of packs though. As someone above pictured, you put an open container of distilled water in a larger lidded container and put the somewhat dried out bags in around the water bowl, cup, or whatever. I do not put the packs in the water, I just seal the larger container up and in a 2-3 days the bags are plumped up again and can be reused. And you may need to add some more distilled water to the open container inside your larger container as the packs have now magically absorbed it. You can store the newly recharged bags inside a another sealed container or ziplock bag. This is why you need a surplus of packs, as you'll want to charge them while other packs are in your guitar case.

Again, be gentle with the packs. No squeezing, crushing, pinching, etc.

Someone above mentioned that Oasis humidifiers have not leaked. I had one that sprung a small weeping spot around a seam as I recall. Like the Humdipacks, they have membrane meant to contain the water, but let out the water vapor, and if there's a failure there, you can get leaks. Rough handling or leaving the Oasis tubes too long without recharging may bring this on, and I'd suppose there could be some small amount of manufacturing defects too. My leak was very small, no damage. If I'd refilled it I might have had a larger leak, but I noted it before I did that. I went away from the Oasis system because I had to deal with getting all the acoustics in more than one location out every week to check and refill, and that got to be a burden. For a person with one or two guitars, this "charge cycle time" is not much of an issue, and even the sponge types are fine.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-11-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
My dad just bought me this!

Your dad is clearly a very wise man

I noticed in the past that re-charging the packs can lead to over humidification of the instrument. Others on here say that does not happen. My monitoring says that it is what happens, so I no longer re-charge them. They last quite awhile anyway.

What are you going to use to monitor?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-11-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Your dad is clearly a very wise man

I noticed in the past that re-charging the packs can lead to over humidification of the instrument. Others on here say that does not happen. My monitoring says that it is what happens, so I no longer re-charge them. They last quite awhile anyway.

What are you going to use to monitor?
Oh shoot! I totally forgot. I'll need to pick one up at Guitar Center tomorrow.

Another question. Is it safe to carry your guitar case around on its side when this humidifier is set on the strings of the sound hole?

Thanks! And thanks much Done for reminding me that I need a monitor.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Oh shoot! I totally forgot. I'll need to pick one up at Guitar Center tomorrow.

Another question. Is it safe to carry your guitar case around on its side when this humidifier is set on the strings of the sound hole?

Thanks! And thanks much Done for reminding me that I need a monitor.
I personally keep my guitar cases intentionally stored on their backs. Between that, the leak proof sleeves, and the basically non-existent possibility that these things will leak if the manufacturer use recommendations are followed, I feel I will never be dealing with a leak into my sound hole.

I generally only play at home so I will not really have to find out. When I do take an instrument out in a case it is my carbon fiber RainSong...No humidipaks apply ;-0...will occasionally bring that to work for lunchtime noodling...

I know that doesn’t directly answer your question. I believe I remember someone posting that the manufacturer suggests storing your guitar case on its back for extra insurance...I think it’s a good idea if you can...

As I understand it the leak stuff is a thing of the past. The original product many years ago had a problem. I still wouldn’t take a chance with an expensive instrument, but that’s me...A little effort can go a long ways...

Best of luck

2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-11-2020, 08:17 PM

Where do I store the humidipaks if I were to transport the case around? In a ziplock?
Old 09-12-2020, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Where do I store the humidipaks if I were to transport the case around? In a ziplock?
That’s exactly what I do with them when conditions arise where I don’t feel they are needed, and I don’t want to waste them.

For instance, in my environment/climate (basement) I don’t need them in my cases at all during the summer and fall. I have some that have been sitting in a ziplock since late winter in one of those drawers you see in the picture, and they will go back in the case this late fall. They still seem to be in great shape. Storing them like that is not unlike the small enclosed plastic wrapping they come in I suppose.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-12-2020, 05:19 AM

I use water beads for plants.
https://www.amazon.com/Pound-Bag-Wat.../dp/B0050ZNWYG
In my guitar case I have a cheap
Travel soap dish. I drill some holes
In the top put in 5 or 6 beads and
A paper towel over the beads. The
Paper towel keeps them in place when
They shrink. I keep a bunch in a jar with lid
already hydrated. When the ones in my instruments dry and shrink I throw them
Back in with the others and they rehydrate.
Pretty easy system and they cost only a few
Bucks to make. I use a plastic travel toothbrush
Holder in my mandolin case. I live in vermont
And use a woodstove in the winter. My house
Is in the teens and 20s for RH in the winter.
My guitar cases stay around 45 RH with this
system.
I'll second the advise to get a hygrometer. I found a bunch
Of small inexpensive digital ones years ago. The batteries are still
Working..its best not to over do it. So these meters let you know.

Last edited by varmonter; 09-12-2020 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:34 AM

I also use water beads, along with other systems I bought before I discovered them. They are the best I have used, hold more water, last long, cannot possibly leak, I enclose them in sacks and put them into fleece pouches which I drape over the strings, a sack on each side. The only drawback is that they take a while to hydrate.

For monitoring, you do not need expensive hygrometers. I keep three around , bought from $1 to $15. These things are notoriously inaccurate (the nature of the beast - this applies to the more expensive ones as well) and that gives me an average, a baseline that I feel comfortable with.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:37 AM

I’m so happy I don’t have to mess with this humidification stuff.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-12-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I also use water beads, along with other systems I bought before I discovered them. They are the best I have used, hold more water, last long, cannot possibly leak, I enclose them in sacks and put them into fleece pouches which I drape over the strings, a sack on each side. The only drawback is that they take a while to hydrate.

For monitoring, you do not need expensive hygrometers. I keep three around , bought from $1 to $15. These things are notoriously inaccurate (the nature of the beast - this applies to the more expensive ones as well) and that gives me an average, a baseline that I feel comfortable with.
They don’t need to be inaccurate if you calibrate them with potassium carbonate. I’m about to do that for the first time this fall with my SensorPush gear. Up until now I have only been using regular salt, which isn’t suppose to be as good.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion