The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Oh come on MyCroft.

Are you saying there would be a debate about Hot Buttered Popcorn vs Mahogany or Rosewood.

Perish the thought

Hot Buttered Pop Corn would Win EVERY TIME

MGF
Here we go...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-19-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Oh come on MyCroft.

Are you saying there would be a debate about Hot Buttered Popcorn vs Mahogany or Rosewood.

Perish the thought

Hot Buttered Pop Corn would Win EVERY TIME

MGF
No one cares how you like it. How does they neighbor's wife like her popcorn?

(I like mine sprinkled with curry powder. No butter.)
Old 08-19-2020, 09:04 PM

I do it because I love guitars. I'm fascinated to see what's new and what's not.

Nice thing for me when I go home yet again after trying many new guitars and buying none, when I pick up my daily play, it reminds me of how it is "the one". It's like the perfect wife, it doesn't get jealous that I play other guitars or even like or lust after other guitars as it knows it's safe in it's place in my heart as "the one".
Old 08-19-2020, 10:43 PM

So over the last two days I went to one of my local shops (McCabe's, I'm fortunate enough to have quite a few good shops near me) to have them install second strap pins on my H&D and SCGC. What a difference, I can't believe I was so hesitant to have it done. Playing with them in my most comfortable standing position, with the strap where I'm used to it on all my other guitars...I was a fool for waiting so long.

Anyway, I'm 100% happy with my two recent purchases. The H&D is the best sounding dreadnought I've ever had the pleasure to play, and I can also say the same for my SCGC in the OM size (please note my caveat of "that I've played").

While waiting for them to do the work, I tried out quite a few guitars on the wall. Nothing compared to what I already had in the OM and D size. That was good. And then I pulled down a Collings 001 14 fret. 24 7/8" scale. Sitka over mahogany. It was a much mellower sound than either of my guitars. Way less bass. But wow, those mids.

I don't think I've ever appreciated mahogany as a wood before. Since most makers spec mahogany on their cheaper models, and EIR on the more expensive ones, I've always equated mahogany with "not as good as EIR" guitars. I've been a fool. It's not worse, it's just different. The music I was making from the 001 were just of a different tonal flavor than my other two.

Thank god I was able to get out of there with my wallet intact. Luckily I don't have any more work for McCabe's to do, so I can just not step foot in that shop and let my GAS cool down.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 08-20-2020, 06:22 AM

This is a provocative question.

I am pretty satisfied with what I have and do not have much of a longing for anything else.

I do enjoy looking at this forum's classifieds because there are often some very interesting vintage pieces presented, such as the 1920s all-koa guitar that was made in Hawaii that's being currently offered.

It's not too different from visiting a museum... you don't walk into the MoMA with any desire to take home a Miró, but it sure is interesting and enjoyable to be see one.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 08-20-2020, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I love acoustic guitars and window shopping is fun even if I’m not in the market to buy one.
Andromeda sums it up for me, but a little deeper dive explanation IMO is, I have a strong interest in playing, how they're built, different sizes, different tone woods, etc. Window shopping is part of the love of the hobby or careers (for some). It helps us develop our knowledge about guitars, what we like/dislike, new developments, etc. It's part of our own development and yes, it's fun.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I look at them on Facebook marketplace in the evenings all the time. I just don't have a case of the wants. I like seeing what people are getting rid of.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I look at them on Facebook marketplace in the evenings all the time. I just don't have a case of the wants. I like seeing what people are getting rid of.
Seeing what other people are getting rid of is interesting. Have often been amazed but people consider not for them when it's a quality brand.

I'm amazed on this form how many smaller luthier builders are represented here. I'm perfectly happy with my production line Martin and Taylors personally.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 08-20-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Oh Yes! Another reason to window shop and then buy a guitar!

Man oh man! My wife needs to see this!
Old 08-20-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
Man oh man! My wife needs to see this!

A friend sent me that short article. I was intrigued by it and wanted to read more. Googled and only found this same print and nothing more. So the authenticity of it can be questioned.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 08-20-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Lately I've been window shopping online and trying to convince myself that an $800 cedar top is just as good as the guitars in the $1,300 to $2,500 range. Then I slap myself out of it,

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:53 AM

I have enough guitars, but I enjoy going to music stores and just playing different brands and models for fun. Maybe a part of me thinks I’ll buy one if I really like it haha.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 08-20-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I think it is interesting how many people stalk the internet for good deals and then when they find one buy them for that reason. It's all about they got a deal on it.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:25 PM

Well, I don't know what your definition of window shopping is, but I love to play every kind of guitar I can that interests me. I feel it builds my knowledge of woods, bracing, scale length, etc. Consider if you were going to someday have a custom guitar built. 12 or 14 fret? 1 3/4 or 1 13/16 neck? Slothead or peg head? Cedar top? I love learning the nuances and my preferences by exploring whenever possible. I'm happy with what I have, but tastes and musical directions change. I never played much with a pick before, but now learning a few fiddle tunes. Guitars that I didn't appreciate before now have a different appeal. Hmm, maybe a dread in my future...
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 08-21-2020, 07:49 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b12df98362.jpg

I showed this to my wife, then showed her a guitar I have been looking at. She said “ I’m all for you living longer”. I bought the guitar...my wife is definitely a keeper!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion