The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

View Poll Results: Should Electric Guitar Player Own a....
Strat-type Guitar 31 44.93%
Tele-type Guitar 40 57.97%
Les Paul-type Guitar 19 27.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2020, 02:07 PM

All of them. [emoji23]
Old 06-06-2020, 04:56 PM

For many years I would’ve said a Strat. Since I’ve gotten my Tele in December, I’ve barely touched my Start that I’ve had for nearly 20 years. I’m really holding the Tele in high regard right now.

If I could have just one electric in my collection, I might go off poll and say a semi hollow. My old MIK Epiphone Sheraton with SD antiquities can definitely cover a lot of ground. I also have a custom luthier handmade semi hollow that is really really awesome.

While I could be happy with a good example of any of three in the poll, I think every electric guitarist (unless you strictly play metal) needs a 335 or Gretsch style semi-hollow.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
...I’m really holding the Tele in high regard right now.

If I could have just one electric in my collection, I might go off poll and say a semi hollow. My old MIK Epiphone Sheraton with SD antiquities can definitely cover a lot of ground...
There you go with the great combo!

I have Antiquities and a vintage wiring kit in my Epi ES-335, and it keeps me grinning.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:33 AM

I haven't gone down the electric rabbit hole (yet).

I'm thinking a Strat HSS might be a good choice. Seems logical but I don't know squat. Is the HSS a good idea?
Old 06-07-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100LL View Post

I'm thinking a Strat HSS might be a good choice. Seems logical but I don't know squat. Is the HSS a good idea?
I think HSS gives you great diversity. It comes down to what kind of music do you want to play. That also gives you an indication on whether to go with a Fender or a Les Paul, along with whether you have a strong preference on scale length and fretboard radius.

Careful though, the rabbit hole includes a nice amp too.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
There you go with the great combo!

I have Antiquities and a vintage wiring kit in my Epi ES-335, and it keeps me grinning.
Nice!

I bet yours sounds awesome too. These are great sounding pickups. Maybe I need to look into the wiring. I have to repair my input jack that came loose and fell into the F hole. Might be a good time to look into it.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Depends.

A single coil treble bridge pickup on a Stratocaster is very similar to a Telecaster and can be great for lead and country playing. (I couldn't tell you about whether you get those same sounds with a humbucker using a coil splitting option).
Old 06-07-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
...A single coil treble bridge pickup on a Stratocaster is very similar to a Telecaster and can be great for lead and country playing...
One of the many reasons I don't like HB bridge pickups on a Strat - and as I said before I'm not alone...

PSA: Another hidden (and very unexpected) gem for clean country/country-rock leads is a P-90 maple-top LP (the current slab-body Juniors/Specials/Tributes lack the tonal refinement) - hotter than a Filter'tron or Strat bridge PU with a less-steely tone than the latter, much like some Tele bridge pickups I've encountered; shame Gibson never reissued the P-90 '60s Tribute models - a lot of guitar for under $1K, and (again surprisingly) I've yet to find a better surf axe - so the least-expensive (and much heavier ) option is the $2500 '50s Standard goldtop...
Old 06-08-2020, 07:22 PM

I think of myself as primarily a Tele guy. But a lot of the music I love was made on Les Pauls. If they were more affordable, and I was not always reading about quality control issues, I would have one. But it is kind of bewildering to know what to get.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:42 AM

There's a local Strat Shawbucker I'm thinking about. Seems good on paper. It's a grand. Figure to budget another 500 to a grand for a champ or princeton to go with it. good ideas? (I'm new to electrics)
Old 06-10-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
There's a local Strat Shawbucker I'm thinking about. Seems good on paper. It's a grand. Figure to budget another 500 to a grand for a champ or princeton to go with it. good ideas? (I'm new to electrics)
See earlier responses from myself and others in the thread about a Fender Stratocasters with a humbucker in the bridge. (I prefer the traditional S/S/S configuration and have no desire for a humbucker on a Stratocaster but to each their own).

I'm Australian so I don't have any idea about how good the deal is on the guitar, (As for amps, plenty of good advice to be had regarding amps, solid state/modelling and/or tube).

Hope this helps!
Old 06-11-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
This guitar which I built maybe 20 years ago now has a split humbucker in the bridge and neck with a single coil in the middle. It has a Fralin blender so I can have bridge and neck pickup on like a Tele mid position.

So this guitar has Les Paul, Strat, AND Tele

Of course it never really sounds like a Strat or Tele but it's close enough. And on top of that it has phase switching too.

She's my #1 and I call her Blondie.

Please tell me you have another one called Dagwood?
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 06-12-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Cool. Why don't you set that up???
Lol- Touché.
Tele- definitely.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I went through this exercise back in about 1978 -- you know, which one should I get?? -- and ended up with a Gibson ES-335. Great guitar!

But then over the years I picked up a beautiful Strat and then a Les Paul and then a Telecaster. Oh yes, I picked up a very nice Eastman archtop jazz guitar and a Rickenbacker 360 12-string. So I think I have the bases covered these days.

- Glenn
Old 06-12-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb View Post
Please tell me you have another one called Dagwood?
I should shouldn't I? Makes me want to eat a big sammich now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars