The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-29-2020, 09:38 AM

I have owned only 3 electrics and these days, I rarely play electric.
With that disclaimer, my first electric was an ES175 with a single pickup in the fingerboard position.
About 20 years later, I bought an Epiphone Emperor (Very similar to the Joe Pass model).
Neither of these guitars were anything like a Strat but I couldn't justify keeping either one since I was playing mostly acoustic.
My son and his wife gave me a Tele clone which is now my only electric.
I've never been drawn to a Strat.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 05-29-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
You seem like a really reasonable guy. I don't think I would refer to you as a member of the "Mafia." Those are the ones who argue the superiority of those Fenders and the lack of need for any other instrument in the galaxy. It's one thing to be an aficionado like you and another thing entirely to be a hard-core fanboy convinced of the exclusivity and purity of his ax of choice. I think I'd like a Cray hard tail. I love to grab the wiggle bar and wobble chords on the straight stretches but nothing beats a hard tail in the bends.

Bob
There is no harder core fanboy on the planet - a strat has been my number 1 since 1979 and for the vast majority of those years, one strat or another has been my one and only electric.

But I'm philosophically a pluralist in pretty much every aspect of life, so it would be hypocritical of me to assume we should all like the same things in guitars. For the life of me, I don't GET the appeal of a lot of guitars, but I figure playing hum buckers is a victimless crime, and as long as people aren't hurting anyone else, they should be free to abuse themselves in whatever ways they want to... But they really need to wear a mask, because I really don't want to be infected by THOSE germs...

-Ray
Old 05-29-2020, 10:37 AM

It's been argued for centuries, well maybe not centuries,,...

that if you have a Les Paul Standard, and a good old Strat, you got it all covered and don't really need anything else.

Seriously!!! Pffft! What kind of crazy talk is that? So many guitars, so little time..
Old 05-29-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I own a lot of electrics and not a single strat in the bunch. The closest is my Reverend Jetstream 390. Or maybe my tele.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Ditto.

Seriously though, pretty much every guitarist I know either owns a Stratocaster or has owned one at some point in their lifetime and as much as I love Telecasters (my Tele gets a lot of love), I think the Stratocaster is the more iconic of the two guitars. (If not the most iconic and copied electric guitar on the planet).
They are different animals for sure, but truth be told, you can get a lot of mileage out of a good telecaster. Great for so many things! It's like having a really good crescent wrench... or, maybe vise grips... wait I know a SAWSALL.. yea that's it!
Old 05-29-2020, 10:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
But they really need to wear a mask, because I really don't want to be infected by THOSE germs...
-Ray
Done

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-29-2020, 10:52 AM

Default Should every electric guitarist own a Stratocaster?

Yes, and by the same token every electric guitarist should also own a Les Paul, ES semi, Gretsch hollowbody, and full-size (16/17/18") jazzbox - the basic lexicon of electric guitar tones...
Old 05-29-2020, 11:24 AM

I guess my username says it all. I don't dislike Strats. But the biggest problem I have with Strats is I keep hitting the volume control with my right hand. And for me three pickups is one too many; I have enough trouble choosing between two.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Nope... every player should have what THEY want, not some "preordained" choice...

For myself, I have NEVER been able to "get next to" a Stratocaster. This, depsite being raised in and around Fullerton, California, in the 50's and 60's... the very first electric guitars I ever played were Strats, too... those "old ones" that everybody oohs and ahs
about, but were, in reality, terrible electric guitars that would not stay in tune to save your life and that picked up every radio station you did not want!

Something about the height of the strings from the body and those 3 pickups; I always get my fingernails caught up in them or hit them with my pick when I'm strumming/playing single note stuff. I'm fairly certain that, were I to play one a lot I would grow accustomed to the pickup placement... but, no...

I love several of the iconic Strat tones (notably, position 2 and 4 w/ a 5 way switch, what we used to have to "****" the 3 way switch in between and hope it stayed there!)... but my Gibson ES-345 gets a pretty good single coil sound, and w/ both pickups single coil, it approximates that tone I love about Strats.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 05-29-2020, 01:26 PM

I think if you have a electric guitar collection you need to include a Strat and a Les Paul. If you don't have an assortment of guitars I think you only need a Strat if you like the scale length and the tone. I have Strats and Les Pauls and much prefer the Les Paul for both the scale length and tone.

So, no, I don't consider a Strat a 'must have guitar'.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:05 PM

Yes. And these days I am convinced I also absolutely positively indubitably need a Gretsch hollowbody.
2021 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Telecaster
2018 Fender Player Stratocaster
2018 Gibson Les Paul Special
2022 Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 05-29-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I am shocked. Shocked! that the OP would suggest that only ONE STRAT is sufficient.

I didn't think that I did...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-29-2020, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Done

Bob
LOL... I'm not sure if I'm more disturbed by the humbuckers or the fact that they're mounted in a strat-like object that was routed for single coil pickups. It's a frightening image on SO many levels!

-Ray
Old 05-29-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
...I recently auditioned an amazing Eastman T386 Blonde semi-hollowbody. I thought it would be an easy guitar to transition to with its acoustic size body and 1 3/4" nut. Well, I was kind of right and kind of wrong. Exit the Eastman which is replaced (actually the UPS driver picked up the Eastman and left my new Fender Robert Cray Strat on the same stop).

...Strat or a Telecaster. I see these as two iconic electric guitars and wonder if others see the Strat as a de facto element in any electric player's arsenal. I'm zeroing in on the Strat because I see it as a more widely used guitar than the Tele although I know that there are many Telecaster lovers out there...
I would take an Eastman T386 (ES-335 style) or a good T-style over a Strat. They ain't better, just my preferences.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
LOL... I'm not sure if I'm more disturbed by the humbuckers or the fact that they're mounted in a strat-like object that was routed for single coil pickups. It's a frightening image on SO many levels!
-Ray
Hehehehe. This is a factory humbucker Sterling LK100D Steve Lukather Signature, the D signifying factory DiMarzio humbuckers.

More HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars