The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2020, 06:04 PM

You're welcome! Now you do know you are completely obligated to let us know how things work out and what you buy, with pictures of course?
Old 05-05-2020, 07:58 PM

I knew there was going to be a catch to this...

Ha! No problem. Will do. However, I guess what I can't promise is when exactly that might be. A month? 2 months? With my obsessive, neurotic mind , I'm not even sure if I'll last that long. If it wasn't for Corona I'd definitely be taking care of this tomorrow, so thoughts about guitar acquisition would stop interfering with every aspect of my daily existence.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:18 AM

Hi Bosley. I'm not going to offer any advice as to which guitar might suit you or where to buy it. But I think that there are two things to guide you.

First, you are a person who sometimes plays and sometimes doesn't. (Maybe that has all changed now that you have the bit between your teeth, but maybe it hasn't.) I find that the single most important thing which can keep you in the loop, keep you playing, keep you improving fast enough to not get bored playing the same old same old, is a fine instrument.

It doesn't have to be expensive, all it has to do is play in tune and sound great when you do something simple. If you can pick up your guitar and strum a simple chord and it makes you say "Wow! I love the way this thing sounds!" then you'll play it often.

That's all it takes. A really fine instrument. You can't keep your hands off it.

Second point. Not everyone agrees about instruments. No-one can tell you which guitar will sound right in your hands, to your ears. (Though suggestions are very welcome of course.) Only you can decide which one is right for you, and the way to do that is to play as many different ones as possible. Take your time. Try out as many as you have to before deciding which is the one that just feels right to you. (Obviously you can't do this right now.)
Old 05-31-2020, 03:03 PM

I was able to visit a nice local guitar store for the first time yesterday, and tested out a number of high-end acoustics (keeping in mind that for someone who has only known their own $200 Fender, anything approaching $1k is considered "high-end").

I got to spend 1.5 hours there, up until closing time, and for the majority of my visit it was just the owner and I in the store. The owner was super friendly, let me test whatever I wanted to, and didn't pressure at all, so it was a great experience and very informative for me. Considering the pandemic, it couldn't have been a better situation. I will definitely be returning and would be more than happy to pay a small premium to purchase my guitar from this particular store.

The store's main inventory was Taylors and Martins. They had a few examples other brands as well, but time pretty much got away from me and I just ended up focusing on these two brands.

I started with their Taylors, which was by far the majority of their inventory. I got to test out 4 different Grand Pacifics, both in spruce and mahogany, i.e. the 317e, 327e, 517e Bulder's Edition, 717e Builder's Edition. I enjoyed these to varying degrees, but none jumped out at me as a guitar that I needed to buy right now, (even with the $99 Baby Taylor promo that was ending yesterday).

In addition to all the Grand Pacifics, I got to test out a number of other more traditional Grand Auditorium style Taylors, in the 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 series. My initial impression was that the 100 and 200 series didn't quite have the nice feel that I was getting from the 327e or 517e, for example. I also tried out a Baby Taylor, which didn't interest me very much.

My general impression of the Taylor room was that it was intriguing, and I'd definitely like to return to test all the guitars again, but I didn't leave thinking that Taylor was going to be my brand of choice. I didn't come across a guitar that had a sound that really jumped out at me, and the satin finish and general feel of the guitars didn't seem a good match for me. (Keeping in mind all of this is just the ramblings of an limited experience beginner guitar player. Not knocking any of these guitars at all. Just thought it would be fun to post my initial impressions.)

Next I went to the Martin section. Because of the Martin factory being closed down, their inventory was limited, but I did at least get to test run a few different guitars. Right away I found these more to my liking, and for that reason spent more time here with fewer guitars, going back and forth between the same few to get a better comparison. I got to test the 000-16e Granadillo (which I haven't actually heard much about before), the D-28, D-35, and 000-28 Modern Deluxe. The 000-16e Granadillo I wasn't feeling too much, but if I could have left the store with 3 guitars, it might have been these other 3. I was a bit surprised that I didn't find the action on the Martins much higher than the Taylors. I thought the playability between the two was much closer than the difference in sound, for which I found the Martins significantly more preferable. If I had to pick one guitar that day, I would have taken the D-28. The sound had an extra character that I found really cool, and I didn't find it overpowering at all. The D-35 I was expecting to be more of what I was looking for, but at least between these two particular examples, I found the D-28 to stand out more. Maybe it had more of a mid-range punch? I was also really excited to try the 000-28, since dreadnoughts are all I've ever know. I thought it had a nice sound and feel, but similarly the D-28 stood out more when played back to back. (000-28 Modern Deluxe is out of the price-range I'm considering, but they didn't have a regular 000-28 to test.)

So while part of me wishes I had that D-28 in my lap right now, I'm really not in a rush to commit at this point. I'd like to test around more, especially if I'm able to head up to the Chicago Music Exchange at some point soon. My uncle who used to own a guitar shop, offered to spend a day with me testing out guitars if I can wait till the pandemic is over. I'd really appreciate his input and also getting to hear him play the guitars I'm considering would be very cool. I also was able to get my electric repaired at another local guitar store last week, which was a garage sale find from several years ago, an Ibanez RG140 from 1987. It was having electrical issues, but now with that fixed and set up with new strings, it is sounding very sweet, and should hold me over a while.

While I was at the store trying out all these different guitars, I was of course keeping the sound and feel of my current Fender in mind, and I'll admit that my thought at the store is that while these do feel easier to play and sound better, I wouldn't consider it an extreme difference on either account, and maybe even my Fender could hold its own in some aspects, given that this is all based on a myriad of personal preference factors in the end. But when I got home and tried my Fender right away, it was like what the hell is this thing. So for whatever reason the difference was more substantial in the one direction than the other. In any case, I'm enjoying the journey and I'm excited to test out more guitars and even re-test some of the same ones. Really having a blast with this.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:09 PM

Yeah, I can easily see the D-28 giving you more mid range punch, as you described, than some of the others mentioned. And while I’ve only played 20 or so Martins in the last 2-3 years, the only one with relatively high action was made in Mexico. All the Standard Series and up guitars were setup great, for me at least.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:40 PM

This is good. You did more in an afternoon than a month of responses to your OP could've done. See if you can find a D18 to test drive somewhere.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 06-01-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
Hi all. Hope you are hanging in there alright during this strange time.

Like many, I'm thinking about upgrading my guitar and was hoping to get some opinions to give me a few different things to consider.

Here's the quick background of where I'm coming from. Because of a job that substantially cuts into my personal time, I hadn't touched my guitar for years. But I was really starting to feel the bug, and once this lockdown hit, I started messing around with it again, and lo and behold it didn't take long to work off a lot of the rust. At best, I'm probably just an intermediate level player, but it's been great getting into it again and just love going through lessons online and working on songs, etc.

The only acoustic I've ever had is my Fender DG8S Nat. It was a gift when I first started learning, and I've never actually bought my own guitar, so that's why any kind of guidance would really be appreciated, even if this is a really general inquiry.

I'm looking for something in the $750 - $2,000 range, and I'm willing to consider a number of different things since my exposure is pretty limited. It seems like I'm frequently hearing that Seagull is a good brand to go with at this price point, as opposed to a Martin for example, which might make more sense at a higher price level. Any thoughts on these kind of price range comparisons between brands? Are there any brands at this price range that are better off ignored? Even open to thoughts on new vs used.

Although I'd love to buy one right now to ride out this lock-down, I really can't imagine buying one without going to the store to test out a few different shapes, sizes, etc. So I don't expect to be buying one until things open up again. But I do think it would be helpful to have some background info before going into the store.

I know, sorry, very general, but I'm really just looking for any thoughts people are willing to share, and any kind of general info that might be helpful for someone in my situation.

Thanks!
After a long time away from guitar and having only known that Fender, I would rec to spend several months getting clear on what you want to do on a guitar and playing as many in the price range and higher that you can find. It's really good to play a guitar better than your pricerange bc it gives you as sense of what else if possible. It won't spoil you for the good guitar but it will offer your ears an important comparison when you go to play in your price range. Play many different builders. In your pricerange you can easily with some effort get to good Martins, Gibson, Seagull, Taylor, used Santa Cruz, Lowden, many others. Experience them all and see what works for you. Our excitement often leads us to buy before we have done our homework. It will be much more meaningful if you but a guitar after playing 20-30 others and you know where this one sits in the group for playability, tone, overall vibe.

Buy used and get 50% more guitar. Know what you are buying.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 06-01-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
So this may be an unpopular opinion on here, but I really dislike the lower series Martins (under 28).

I find them to be just bass-filled swamps with little clarity. However, some love that.

For that price range you can do quite good for yourself. You can get a few of the following:

Taylor 517 (make an offer for 2k shipped?): https://reverb.com/item/33392424-tay...cing-2019-2020

Yamaha A5R: https://reverb.com/item/30130269-yam..._8A6ggpW_Qx5Ys

Or my personal Favorite, a Furch! (They are made in the Czech Republic and are top notch. Here are a few options

Cutaway Dread: https://reverb.com/item/32766717-fur...-element-84032

Vinatage Sitka/Rosewood Dread: https://reverb.com/item/28311492-furch-vintage-2-d-sr

And a fun option: https://reverb.com/item/30208331-fur...OzdMutYcITneyM
i would second the suggestion to look at Furch. Since you were looking at at D-28, you may want to check out a Green series Master Choice Dreadnought cutaway nicely reviewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmqjtO6UaLU

it is well within your price range new ($1500-2k) but the hard part is finding a Furch dealer near you (i think they only have 40 nationwide).
Old 06-02-2020, 09:38 AM

I bought my first Martin in 2004 and now own three with a D41 being at the top. I bought my first Taylor last December and have a 210e Deluxe (Jan. 2020) and couldn't be happier with it - seems like it was about $1200 new (with a hard-shell case). It has a solid spruce top and "layered" rosewood back a sides, made in Mexico. It has the Expression System 2 pickup/electronics. I prefer 1 3/4" nut but the 210e's 1 11/16" is fine. Easy playing and has a very nice acoustic tone. I have a Blueridge BR-180 that would fit in your price range. Yet another nice sounding, easy playing guitar to consider.

There are a lot of nice guitars to choose from - it's a blessing and a curse.

Play as many as you can.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:26 PM

If you are open to used guitars - you could probably pick up a decent Martin D-28.

You will not regret it.

New you could look at a Guild D-40.
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 08-30-2020, 07:52 PM

Just to close the loop on this old thread, I did finally bite on my first big guitar purchase. It took a lot longer than expected because I've been dealing with tennis elbow in my fretting arm, which took me out of commission for more than two months. But it seems like I'm on the mend, and I've been playing again, so yesterday I took another trip out to a different store, tried another 15 guitars or so, and found one that I was really gelling with. I also stopped by my uncle's today for a 2nd opinion (he used to own a guitar store), and he agreed, it's a keeper.

I ended up with a new Martin OM-28. I had been expecting to get some sort of dread, but this guitar was sounding very good. They had a new HD-35 as well, which is what I was expecting I'd be coming home with that day, if anything, but I wasn't very impressed with that particular example, and this OM-28 on the other hand, sounded spectacular. I tested several Gibsons, other Martins, a Bozeman Epiphone Texan, a couple of Collings, a Huss & Dalton, and even another used OM-28, but this particular example just seemed like the clear winner.

Only two days in, but I'm really loving this guitar. Doesn't quite have the boom of a Dread, but I think the low end is beautiful, and it's incredibly balanced, so the mids and highs sound just as good. So far strumming, flat-picking, and finger-picking have been a delight, so I think this is going to work out great as a sort of first serious guitar that can do it all. The only thing I'd complain about is the tuners, which you'd expect to be a bit more substantial on this nice of a guitar, but I guess they can be replaced down the line. I'm certainly not making any changes to it now.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just to close the loop on this old thread, I did finally bite on my first big guitar purchase. It took a lot longer than expected because I've been dealing with tennis elbow in my fretting arm, which took me out of commission for more than two months. But it seems like I'm on the mend, and I've been playing again, so yesterday I took another trip out to a different store, tried another 15 guitars or so, and found one that I was really gelling with. I also stopped by my uncle's today for a 2nd opinion (he used to own a guitar store), and he agreed, it's a keeper.

I ended up with a new Martin OM-28. I had been expecting to get some sort of dread, but this guitar was sounding very good. They had a new HD-35 as well, which is what I was expecting I'd be coming home with that day, if anything, but I wasn't very impressed with that particular example, and this OM-28 on the other hand, sounded spectacular. I tested several Gibsons, other Martins, a Bozeman Epiphone Texan, a couple of Collings, a Huss & Dalton, and even another used OM-28, but this particular example just seemed like the clear winner.

Only two days in, but I'm really loving this guitar. Doesn't quite have the boom of a Dread, but I think the low end is beautiful, and it's incredibly balanced, so the mids and highs sound just as good. So far strumming, flat-picking, and finger-picking have been a delight, so I think this is going to work out great as a sort of first serious guitar that can do it all. The only thing I'd complain about is the tuners, which you'd expect to be a bit more substantial on this nice of a guitar, but I guess they can be replaced down the line. I'm certainly not making any changes to it now.
Congrats. I think you made a good choice.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-31-2020, 05:54 AM

Hey Boz- great choice and sweet guitar. Have fun
Old 08-31-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:

Not so fast there, mister.

Pictures are required. It's a law.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 08-31-2020, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

I love the OM28. I had a great custom OM28 I sold that I wish I could have kept. Enjoy it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion