The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-14-2019, 06:43 AM

Default B.I.G. (er) 2020 *** CANCELLED***

It is time to start making plans for your springtime trip to Texas. I wanted to get this announcement out there as I know how far out people book and I have had about 10 folks ask about dates. I already know of 3 guitars being designed just for B.I.G. (er) so let's get going:

We are excited and proud to announce the second annual B'sox International Guitarapolooza 2020, aka B.I.G. (er) 2020.

Everyone had an absolutely great time last year and 2020 promises to be even better. Here is the nitty gritty:

Dates: March 20-22nd (as requested, expanding to 3 days this year)
Luthiers: Bruce Sexauer, Jason Kostal, Ben Wilborn, Steve Kinnaird, John Kinnaird, Lame Horse Guitars (Chris and Jeremy Jenkins), Rory Dowling (Taran guitars, Scotland) and Tom Sands!!! Beautiful hand made guitars to play, purchase or commission to your own personal taste.

Amplifiers: Gerry Humphrey will be back with his fantastic acoustic amps!!! We were all so impressed last year!

Saturday evening concerts: Will McNicol- a fantastic fingerstylist from Scotland. Please check out his channel to learn more and hear his music! https://www.willmcnicol.co.uk/ You can also see him doing demos for TNAG as well.

Frog and Toad (Brad Jones and Ben Wilborn)- truly among the best acoustic duo playing today. Their music was a big hit last year and we are lucky and thrilled to have them back. https://frogandtoadmusic.com/

Workshops:

Brad and Ben will be giving a workshop on song writing. This will be a very relaxed and entertaining look into how Frog and Toad come up with their wonderful compositions. Melodies, harmonies, pacings, thought processes etc. This should help all of us aspiring musicians and song writers.

Will McNicol will be doing two workshops!!!! The first will be "Exploring DADGAD" and the second on "Fingerstyle Control". Both workshops will be utilizing pieces we can all play and learn as we go. Very hands on!

Private Lessons:

Will is also offering a limited number of private lessons over the weekend tailored to your goals. These will be booked on a first come first serve basis so let me know as soon as you can if interested.

We will again be doing a catered Texas BBQ on Saturday (to also include soft drinks, adult beverages and sweets) and a hearty Sunday morning brunch. Back by popular demand, we will also have the bloody mary and mimosa bar. Friday night we are working with a local distillery for private tours, tastings, food trucks, and music. This will be a blast. We are working on the details and hope to have some great surprises in store for y'all.

Priority for sign up will be given to past participants (and their guitar loving friends and families) after which remaining space will be filled first come first serve. Please reach out to me as soon as possible and we will get you signed up! PM is fine for new folks or those who have lost my email address.

Beyond the guitars, music, food and drink, the friendships made last year alone were worth the trip!

Tom and Kathy

Last edited by TomB'sox; 03-12-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Oh man, this looks so good! Thanks again Tom--and the inimitable Kathy--for doing this. I do hope we can persuade Natalie to come and carry us to the rafters with her lovely vocal renditions?

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 10-14-2019, 08:15 AM

Sign me up! I think you have my info, Tom. I believe I can safely say that B.I.G. 2019 was the highlight of my year (maybe of the last several), and I'm so looking forward to this one, especially as it will be B.I.G.-er!
Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Default BIG 2020

Sounds like a fantastic lineup Tom. I RVSP'd for 2 via email. For those who haven't been...last year's BIG was amazing and this one will be BIG(er) and even Better! Doug
Old 10-14-2019, 09:33 AM

Tom,

I'm coming back for round 2. Can't wait!!
Old 10-14-2019, 10:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Whoa! Sounds like that will be an amazing event and weekend!
instagram
Old 10-14-2019, 12:31 PM

Can’t wait for this!! Thanks Tom!
Old 10-14-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Oh man, this looks so good! Thanks again Tom--and the inimitable Kathy--for doing this. I do hope we can persuade Natalie to come and carry us to the rafters with her lovely vocal renditions?

Steve
I am not sure what inimitable means, but I bet it is good! We are hoping Natalie can be home from school and we can work up a couple of tunes for her. I know she wants to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Sign me up! I think you have my info, Tom. I believe I can safely say that B.I.G. 2019 was the highlight of my year (maybe of the last several), and I'm so looking forward to this one, especially as it will be B.I.G.-er!
Thanks for coming back Stan!!! I do feel with a year under our belts, this one will be better yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Sounds like a fantastic lineup Tom. I RVSP'd for 2 via email. For those who haven't been...last year's BIG was amazing and this one will be BIG(er) and even Better! Doug
Kathy and I so enjoyed meeting you guys, I think the two ladies hit it off quite well last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by langleypual View Post
Tom,

I'm coming back for round 2. Can't wait!!
Woot woot, thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHillMike View Post
Whoa! Sounds like that will be an amazing event and weekend!
I hope so, we put a lot of work into...let me know if you have interest for Son of B.I.G. 2021 haha!
Old 10-14-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sands View Post
Can’t wait for this!! Thanks Tom!

Thank you sir. We are sooo pleased you can come from England with Will and show off your stuff!
Old 10-14-2019, 04:00 PM

I am in. Hopefully for more than just one morning and afternoon.

I assume that you are aware that your weekend is also SXSW music weekend. I doubt that I will stage manage again, but that is the only thing that could prevent me from attending. Could make Austin hotels and flights a pain (and expensive).

Last edited by Jeff Mc; 10-14-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:17 PM

On another note, if you are in town this weekend, there is a Dripping Springs Songwriters Festival that is kind of interesting and it is free - Friday and Saturday.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
I am in. Hopefully for more than just one morning and afternoon.

I assume that you are aware that your weekend is also SXSW music weekend. I doubt that I will stage manage again, but that is the only thing that could prevent me from attending. Could make Austin hotels and flights a pain (and expensive).
I am glad you are coming back! I was aware of the conflict, but most folks flew into San Antonio last year which is a little closer to the house anyway. Easter and LaConnor kind of messed me up this year, they moved up 2 weeks and I needed to space it out for the luthiers so they were not missing two straight weeks from home. I doubt if too many of the B.I.G.(er) folks were planning on attending SXSW, but it would be a shame if you could not come.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

I do not yet know what SXSW is, but if it is going to impair my routing through Austin (where I have never been) I think it should be cancelled.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:48 PM

Probably best to fly into San Antonio that weekend.

Last edited by Jeff Mc; 10-14-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am not sure what inimitable means, but I bet it is good!
"Not capable of being imitated: matchless.
But don't tell I said so...

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop