The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2019, 06:08 AM

Default Ignorance is bliss

I was in the acoustic room of a Long and McQuad when a young man, mid 20’s, asked if I could help him. I was in business attire so he assumed I was a salesman. I said I didn’t work there but was a guitar enthusiast and maybe I could answer some questions. I asked if he knew much about guitars, he said no, he played guitar but had to give back a borrowed guitar he’d had for a couple years.

He wanted a mid priced guitar, he picked up a Yamaha at $700 and said that was top limit, cheaper would be better. I explained about solid tops and laminated back and sides, said he didn’t want cardboard, I then fully explained laminate. He played a few Yamahas, he was a fingerpicker and quite good. We moved to Taylor Academy series which he liked the sound of better. Then to Godin line, Seagull, Simon&Patrick, Norman. He liked the idea that they were made in Canada. I just had him sit and play while I handed him different guitars. He knew nothing about spruce or cedar tops, guitar sizes and shapes, fret board widths etc.

He stood up after playing the Seagull S6 original and said I really like this one. He thanked me then started walking out the acoustic room with guitar in hand. I said “ so you’re buying that one”, yes I like this one the best he said and thanked me again. Lesson learned......life can be very simple when ignorance is bliss.

Has this kind of thing ever happened to you, either helping someone out or just blindly buying something you really liked.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-01-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Then to Godin line, Seagull, Simon&Patrick, Norman. He liked the idea that they were made in Canada.
As an anecdotal aside, I am posting this from Montreal, where I have spent the last few days on a mini-vacation. I stopped in briefly to look around in a big music store downtown, and it was cool to see so many Canadian guitars that I've never seen in the States. I'm traveling with family, so trying them out wasn't practical, but it was still very interesting.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 10-01-2019, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Has this kind of thing ever happened to you?
Helping someone out:

A few times

Just blindly buying something you really liked:

All too often in my earlier days...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-01-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:21 AM

Personally, out of the guitars mentioned, I'm not surprised he liked the Seagull S6 the best. So I don't know if I would consider that ignorant or canny.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
A few times and all too often in my earlier days...
Yea, so true. I’m 61 years old so as a young man there was no internet. No way to research the daylights out of something and get information overload. Just grab something you like and go. I remember standing in a sporting goods store holding fishing rods and whipping them until I found the one that felt right.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
Personally, out of the guitars mentioned, I'm not surprised he liked the Seagull S6 the best. So I don't know if I would consider that ignorant or canny.
Yea he knew what he liked the sound of and went with it. Dumb as a fox
Old 10-01-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Yea, so true. I’m 61 years old so as a young man there was no internet. No way to research the daylights out of something and get information overload. Just grab something you like and go. I remember standing in a sporting goods store holding fishing rods and whipping them until I found the one that felt right.

Yeah...when did getting information overload ever help anyone make a really good decision about something?...almost never, and usually leads to a very poor decision.

The AGF is "overloaded" with threads every year about guitar acquisitions that turned out wrong due to information overload.

"Just grab something you like and go" choosing something on what feels right...or in his case feels and sounds right...is a very wise way to pick out a great many things in life, including fishing rods and guitars.

The simple way is often the best way

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 10-01-2019, 06:47 AM

I'll piggy-back on this and mention my experience in a GC I visited this past weekend (first one I've actually been in). I hit the high-end room and played a very nice Gibson J-45 (with a few finish issues), a Martin 000-18 and 00-18 (both very nice as well). Also a couple of Taylors - 300 and 500 series. All were nice, but only the Gibson was one I really might have considered. Then I stepped out into the general Acoustic room. Played a few Yamahas, Breedloves and Alvarezs - none of which were remarkable. Then I saw a lone S6 hanging right in the mix and I pulled it down just since I'm a Seagull fan. Wow! If we're talking quality of tone, this one should have been in the high $ room. Even with old strings, it sounded as good as anything I played. I walked out and felt a renewed sense of comfort to not feed the GAS and make do with what I've got - improved tone is not always dependent on $'s

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 10-01-2019, 06:54 AM

That’s the first guitar he picked up, I didn’t show him anything till after that, we went down in price from there.

Last edited by KevWind; 10-01-2019 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Deleted quote and rule #1
Old 10-01-2019, 06:56 AM

I've helped out people in the acoustic room at GC (Nashua, NH) more than a few times. Most times they were not ready to buy, so I assume that's why the GC salesperson couldn't be bothered with them.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-01-2019, 07:06 AM

I sure could of used someone like you when I was young, in High School being raised by a single mother I was lucky to have an acoustic from Service Merchandise if anyone remembers that store. Along the line I was able to trade for a cheap electric that I was able to teach myself some chords. It wasn't until I joined the Army I was able to buy something decent. Even had a used 70's Ovation that I let someone talk me out of for a good price but I still regret selling it. When I came back from Germany I was able to afford an Ibanez but nobody ever told me about humidification or anything, that guitar held me through several jams, two tours in Korea and 23 years later and several repairs the bridge split so it now hangs on my wall, just too much to keep it going I guess.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:15 AM

He played a bunch of guitars and bought the one he liked best. That's how it should be done. When I bought my first guitar, a Godin a6, it was because it was quiet enough to play in the barracks at night without keeping everyone up, and that's it. I didn't have to obsess over which one sounded the best. That guitar served me well.

As we get more experienced, myself included, we have a natural tenancy, subconscious even, to give weight to the name on the headstock. This isn't a bad thing, a those names have merit based upon reliable product.

We also learn the sometimes subtle, sometimes glaring, differences between guitars and understand more so how those things affect our sound and our enjoyment of the instrument.

This kid liked the sound of the seagull and will enjoy it. Maybe on the future he will want or need a different sound, maybe not.

Yes, ignorance can be bliss, but the opposite can also certainly be true.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

HA! Good one!!

Seriously, though - good job helping out a guy. Although since he had been a player for a while and could actually play, I'm not sure why he needed much help since he knew his price, could play and picked a guitar based solely on how it sounded and felt to him. Sounds like he could teach us a thing or two! Maybe he just needed a sucker to hand him guitars while he sat! (Did you tune them for him too?!?)

Regardless, you did a good thing and helped educate him a little with knowledge he didn't have before so now he's got a guitar he likes and can continue to play. Yes, ignorance is bliss. I hope you didn't ruin him by pointing him here to us!

Last edited by KevWind; 10-01-2019 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 AM

Once upon a time you could actually walk into most guitar shops and actually talk to someone who knew something about what they were selling.

Unfortunately, this kind of applies to too many stores (of any type) these days.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 10-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Once upon a time you could actually walk into most guitar shops and actually talk to someone who knew something about what they were selling.

Unfortunately, this kind of applies to too many stores (of any type) these days.

Don
So very true...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion