The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-28-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Tom Rush love / interview added 12/21

EDIT DECEMBER 21:
We now have the interview with Tom available to stream. It's two part, about 15 minutes each.

He plays "Child's Song" in our studio in Part II, starting at 12:20

Part I https://soundcloud.com/user-314630438/tom-rush-1

Part II https://soundcloud.com/user-314630438/tom-rush-2

Tom did a backyard house concert in our town on Monday. Nothing short of remarkable. I've been a fan since The Circle Game record and have been playing Voices, his newest one, non stop for months. Love Tom Rush!

[/url]

On Tuesday morning he visited our local radio station for an interview. He played Child's Song in the studio and it was one of my peak musical experiences. Stunning. Soon I'll have a link for the interview including the performance of this very special song.

Photo of Tom with some local dweeb. I think someone may have cracked a hair joke.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 12-21-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

That sounds like a great night. Tom was a local boy who played in my area many moons ago. I like Tom a lot. After one show about 40 years ago he was selling albums and I figured I would support the artist. I went over to Tom and chatted it up a bit. When he was about to sign my album I said, my name is Paul. He turned to me and said — I haven’t lost my memory with a laugh. Then without missing a beat he asked — how’s Leslie? (Leslie is my wife.) Then I was confused. Anyway we had a very funny conversation before we realized he had confused me with another Paul and Leslie that he (apparently kinda) knew. Very strange coincidence.

Great pictures — except for that last one
Old 08-29-2019, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

What a great venue and great opportunity to enjoy this classic singer/songwriter...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-29-2019, 06:26 AM

Tom is a wonderful entertainer. To my way of thinking, he is far better live than recorded. He's very good recorded, but the live show....

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I have been a fan ever since this song hit the airwaves

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-29-2019, 07:38 AM

Still have the CD of what I think is his first album. Cover art is Tom's picture with a purple background. No title. 'Driving Wheel' is the first cut. Was a fan from the start. Like Tom my hair is gray. Been around a while.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Tom is one of a dying breed, the acoustic guitarist/singer who KNOWS how to entertain via engagement with his audiences. Funny, smart, dry, and his timing is impeccable. No, he never was what you'd call a great singer or knock-your-socks-off guitar player but his honesty and sincerity transcend those things. Younger players who never say a word to their audiences could learn a lot from him in terms of how to get your audience on your side from the get-go. He is a classic, long may he continue to show us what being a single performer with a guitar is all about. Back at the 1969 Newport Folk Festival is was so fortunate to attend the singer/songwriter workshop one afternoon. On the small stage were James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne - and Tom. While the other three were amazing from a musical standpoint, Tom held the audience in the palm of his hand as the four of them took turns trading songs. For most of us in those days, it was Tom Rush who introduced us to those people, and others like Jesse Winchester.

Last edited by capefisherman; 08-29-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:56 AM

Coincidentally I just picked up a copy of his 1974 release Ladies Love Outlaws in a thrift shop in NM condition for $1. All the tunes are covers other than his second take on No Regrets (I like the earlier one much better). Until I stumbled upon the LP though I had not even thought about him for probably 30 years.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Tom rules

When I was at Harvard in the mid-1960's, he was my hero - a Harvard grad who was entertaining and a folk icon. He still is!
El

elmcmeen.com
elmcmeen.bandcamp.com
Old 08-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Nice photos! Been a Tom Rush fan since dinosaurs roamed the earth. I remember seeing Tom and Trevor at The Mainpoint in Bynn Mawr, Pennsylvainia in the sixties. He was great back then and he just keeps getting better. 'Trolling For Owls' is a priceless collection of songs and humor. Highly recommended!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the warm photo's. Very well received here. Classic troubadour.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:27 PM

Love the photos.

Been a Tom Rush fan since the 60s when he was playing the Club 47 in Cambridge and other venues about town.

Maybe his first recorded record was "Tom Rush at the Unicorn", but I think it may have been released before/about-same-time as a record for Prestige Folkways or some such label. Tom Rush became a local sensation after an out-take / demo from Elektra album "Take a little walk with me" became a staple on Dick Summers Sunday folk music show on WBZ radio. The song was "Urge For Going", done with his just his own guitar accompaniment. Elektra eventually released this as a single. Pretty sure that was about the time he did a concert at Boston's Symphony Hall which I believe was promoted by Club 47. Had great seats for that one.

That purple album was on his 4th label, Columbia, and was after about 6 previous albums. Don't think he has ever done a 'bad' album. Or bad performance.

edit > For the record the 'Unicorn Coffee House' was a basement dive on Boylston Street in Boston's Back Bay.

Still a fan.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 08-29-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:13 PM

Wow! That is so cool. I love Tom Rush. He was one of the first singers that I tried to imitate.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:07 PM

Listened to him for a long time too. His "Take a Little Walk With Me" LP was a touchstone for me.

Looking at the pictures of that guitar he's playing above I can see an ad listing: "has some pick scratches near the soundhole...."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-29-2019, 03:25 PM

In my neck of the woods at the time THE tune to learn and play was Rockport Sunday. Open tuning and harmonics really impressed the ladies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion