The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2001, 06:54 PM

Post New (to me) 714

This is my first post to the forum. I primarilly play fingerstyle when I play acoustic. I love playing Michael Hedges, Lawrence Juber, and Peppino D'Agostiono songs, as well as my own compositions/improvisations.

I got my first Taylor, a 512, six years ago. It has served me quite well for playing fingerstyle. The combination of mahogany bach/sides and the Engelmann top makes for a great tone.

However, recently I have been playing many fingerstyle tunes that require a low C. The 512 just can't deal with that low of a frequency. The body is just too small, I suspect. The solution?

I purchased a used 2000 714 with an Engelmann top. The larger body can handle low C notes with no problems. The rosewood back and sides give me a different tone than the 512, I'd say it is more balanced. The 714 can also be strummed more pleasingly than the 512. All in all, it is a great guitar!

The 512 still has a place, as it sounds more "delicate." The two guitars make a great pair! They look like brothers, as they both have Engelmann tops, though the 512 has yellowed with age. I look forward to what they 714 will sound and look like in five years!

Bryan
Old 09-10-2001, 08:20 PM

HEY,

I got a 2000 714 Englemann Top as well! without cutaway and electronics.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:38 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hey, Brian. Welcome to the forum! Great to have another 714 lover here. You'll find you're in the company of a lot of 700-series fans... The forum has created quite a stir about the 700 series, as the owners are quite passionate about these guitars. I think it was once a "forgotten" series, but now people are picking them up in the stores and giving them a listen. They're really selling themselves though, once people hear the sound. The 700 series truly stands out among Taylor guitars in my not-so-humble opinion.

J.R. Rogers
Old 09-11-2001, 06:17 AM

Yeah, I think there's a lot in this forum that secretly own a 700 series guitar with the majority of them being 714's. This guitar has a buttery goodness that is undeniably good. Englemann top or cedar top, for some reason the bodies on the 714's just ooze tone. Throw some ebony buttons on those Grovers and the whole thing just balances out tonally where the WHOLE guitar resonates beautifully. Subtle beauty, no-frills inlays, awesome rosewood binding that's a perfect match for the back and sides, and resonance for days. What more can be said? Definitely the lesser known, secretly best sounding Taylor out there, IMHO. I love mine.....

I also do a lot of open tunings and actually, both of my Taylors(a 414ce and the 714ce) LOVE the DADGAD tuning. But the sustain on that 714 lasts longer than a good stick of gum it seems!

Mike
Old 09-11-2001, 11:10 AM

Another 714 user here. Took a few months, as I'd shared in this forum during my search, but finally settled on a 2000 (cedar) a few weeks ago on HC. Couldn't find one at a dealer, as I wanted a 2000 with the old cosmetics but new neck. Was close at one point to getting a '97 w/Sitka, but it had literally hung around at the dealers for about four years.

Cedar had taken a little getting used to, as compared to my 2000 410, but I'm enjoying it more each day. The sound and tone do seem to just kind of cascade out of it.

Mike A., I've been thinking about the ebony buttons. I like the gold, but with the black trim and generally understated looks of the 714, I think they'd look great -- like one of those custom GA's. I'm just a little reluctant to tamper with perfection.

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 09-11-2001, 05:56 PM

Jaygon,

If you want to see mine with the ebony tuners, it's in the gallery. It's still listed on the "What's New" page as well as the 700 series page under "2001 Custom 714CE". I love them. They add a touch of class to an already classy guitar. They also made my guitar come alive compared to other 714's I've played. Of course, then again, it could also be from the three piece back......

If you do get them, just remember to loosen the strings before changing them out!

Mike
Old 09-12-2001, 09:22 AM

Mike:

OK, so that's yours. It's a beauty. I had looked at it when still shopping for my 714. The ebony tuners look great.

Simple process to swap them out? Just the screw? How much tension do you take off the strings?

Thanks.

Jay

Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 09-12-2001, 10:42 AM

Where do you get the ebony buttons at and how much do they cost? Do they really affect the sound as well? If so, how?

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Why Me ]
Old 09-12-2001, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike A.:
<STRONG>Throw some ebony buttons on those Grovers and the whole thing just balances out tonally where the WHOLE guitar resonates beautifully. Subtle beauty, no-frills inlays, awesome rosewood binding that's a perfect match for the back and sides, and resonance for days. What more can be said? Definitely the lesser known, secretly best sounding Taylor out there, IMHO. I love mine.....

I also do a lot of open tunings and actually, both of my Taylors(a 414ce and the 714ce) LOVE the DADGAD tuning. But the sustain on that 714 lasts longer than a good stick of gum it seems!

Mike</STRONG>
I was actually already planning to put some ebony buttons on the tuners. I did this on a Larrivee Parlour guitar in order to make it balance better and was rewarded with a changed tone.

I think I'll get two sets of buttons and put them on the 714 and the 512. An added bonus in doing the swap is that it makes tuning a real pleasure . . . very organic, not cold.

A caution in doing the swap is not to over-tighten the ebony, as it will split. I've never had this happen, but have heard of it happening.

If anyone has any good sources for tunes in DADGAD (I consider my self to be an "advanced" guitarist), I would love to hear them.

Bryan
Old 09-12-2001, 02:28 PM

Bryan,

Check out Laurence Juber's DADGAD video. He is one of the masters in this tuning. 'Pass the Buck' is a favorite of mine to play. You can find this video at http://www.acousticmusicresource.com

GL

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: GordonHLau ]
Old 09-12-2001, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GordonHLau:
<STRONG>Bryan,

Check out Laurence Juber's DADGAD video. He is one of the masters in this tuning. 'Pass the Buck' is a favorite of mine to play. You can find this video at http://www.acousticmusicresource.com

GL

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: GordonHLau ]</STRONG>
Thanks for the suggestion. I already know "Pass the Buck" from a transcription in Fingerstyle Guitar a few years ago. I think it is a great song!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Bryan
Old 09-12-2001, 05:09 PM

Hi Bryan,

Didn't know that song was transcribed in FG mag. I'll have to see how close my ear transcribtion of the song is. I don't know if Pass the Buck is on LJ's DADGAD video because I've never seen it but I'm sure there are other great tunes on it. There's also a Book/CD of DADGAD tunes also found on Acoustic Music Resource that has various artists with their tabbed out songs. Haven't looked at it since I hardly ever buy tab books or use tab but I'm sure it's a great book.

GL
Old 09-12-2001, 08:13 PM

I own a 2001, Taylor 714 with a cedar top. It has a wonderful sound and is a pleasure to play. I just purchased a 1995 912c more for finger picking. I get them both out and try to decide if one is better than the other and have finally decided that they really can't be compared. They serve two different purposes and both do an exceptional job. The "Cindy" inlay on the 912c is just so tastefully done and the guitar is a piece of art. The 714 is just plain elegant. I hadn't played guitar for more 20 years until I bought the 714 in July. I now own two Taylors of my own, bought a 310 for my son and a Baby for my 82 year old father! TAS strikes again......
Old 09-13-2001, 09:55 PM

Jaygon,

Very simple process to swap out tuners: Loosen the string all the way to full slack, undo the one screw, replace button, screw back in to medium tension. When you tighten the screw back down, do it in incriments so as to not overtighten and split the button. Also, you'll want to tighten it a little bit then test the tuner's tension against the others to make sure you're not overtightening. You can use your Taylor's truss rod tool but don't change buttons with the guitar standing vertical!! You WILL drop the tool on the guitar! Lay the guitar down, then do it. I speak from experience here.........

Phil Keaggy does a couple of tunes in DADGAD on his "Beyond Nature" album. An album that ALL fingerstylists should have. The song "County Down" remains one of my all-time favorites and all-time challenges on the guitar. Very wide range of styles, tempos, and themes in just the one song. Lots of harmonic tapping, too. The album is full of that stuff. The nice thing for those of us that like to trust our ear before we trust someone else's tab is that he includes the tunings for each of his songs on that album inside the CD cover.

I've been doing DADGAD for about 6 years now and am quite comfortable in it. It's getting to the point now where I'm coming up with stuff that's my own in that tuning. But, I always enjoy learning some new cool songs in DADGAD.

-Mike
Old 09-14-2001, 11:50 AM

Thanks, Mike.

I'm going to check out Keaggy's CD, too. Still not too sure of myself in many alternate tunings. It's pretty much an adventure. But I like DADGAD.

Jay

Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Jazz Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion