The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Finger pick with fingers
Finger pick with picks
Strum
Flat pick
First position chords
Closed chords up the neck
A description of the sound etc. of the guitar by the player. Keep all other opinions to your self.

I probably missed something

YouTube guitar videos are useful to me but it takes an experienced ear to know what to listen for.

Guitars that sound good on recordings are guitars that record well.
Good sounding guitars don't necessarily record well.
And that doesn't mean recordings of bad sounding guitars are good sounding guitars in person.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-15-2020, 07:07 PM

DADGAD videos where they spend 5 minutes tuning the guitar.

Really, you don't need to show my how to change the tuning, it's literally in the name of the tuning.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Has anybody else got frustrated at sitting through a guitar demo that is in some ways irrelevant to the type of guitar being demoed.

I'm mainly talking about guitars that are usually fingerpicked. I've lost count at the number of videos I've watched with someone strumming frantically on a parlour.

I often think to myself, OK he/she will do some fingerstyle after bashing the life out of it with a pick, only for the video to end.
I'm gone before the 3rd strum.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-15-2020, 07:34 PM

I click off immediately if I see a capo.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-17-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I click off immediately if I see a capo.
What if it's a video about how to properly apply a capo? There's almost an art to it. In fact, James Taylor himself did a video of it. I'd consider him to be an expert!
Old 09-17-2020, 09:57 AM

For various reasons, I used to love the demos that John from Shoreline Music used to put up on YouTube. Really miss those.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Has anybody else got frustrated at sitting through a guitar demo that is in some ways irrelevant to the type of guitar being demoed.

I'm mainly talking about guitars that are usually fingerpicked. I've lost count at the number of videos I've watched with someone strumming frantically on a parlour.

I often think to myself, OK he/she will do some fingerstyle after bashing the life out of it with a pick, only for the video to end.
Yeah, basically, but i watch some by some. I must be careful as, whilst I don't "review" guitars as such I have put up videos about the guitars that I own, partially for general interest, and also to be used by my wife in the case of my demise when selling them off!

I'm very aware that the technology used when reviewing the tonality of guitars is variable and that many reviewers tend to play in varying ways - esp. acoustic guitars played as if they were telecasters or whatever. (It is my firm belief that few electric guitarists really understand acoustics).

I have to say that the beard at Eddie's Guitars and our own beloved Michael Watts when he worked with TNAG are among the best.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

All the guys at TNAG are good. Properly mic'd too, and how unusual is that in demos.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
All the guys at TNAG are good. Properly mic'd too, and how unusual is that in demos.
Yes, the videos from Michael Watts are all outstanding. He is such a tasteful player!

- Glenn
Old 09-17-2020, 10:59 PM

An easy target, but misleading Z**** guitar videos.. Their guidance to adjusting the action is to keep cranking the truss rod , and irritating use of string "heithe". Not just pointless but inaccurate and irritating all in one short clip.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:04 PM

I mainly use YouTube tutorials for the piano interpretation of a tune I want to transpose to guitar. Cool with jazz arrangements.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:16 PM

Coming from the pre-internet age, and having bought several disappointing guitars in my youth after a brief try out from ill-informed sales staff, I can honestly say that buying is now considerably more fulfilling. When I say considerably more - chalk and cheese.

Anyone with hard won money now can learn on fora like this, interrogate the www for specs and reviews, look and hear the instrument on YouTube (usually), then go into a showroom and talk to a well-informed fellow player before being given the time for a good long play. All this and, for you in US anyway, discounts too!

YouTube videos are part of the modern buying process but I would still play before paying when I could.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:51 AM

I get frustrated watching a guitar review on YouTube where they never play the guitar that’s being reviewed.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Yeah, basically, but i watch some by some. I must be careful as, whilst I don't "review" guitars as such I have put up videos about the guitars that I own, partially for general interest, and also to be used by my wife in the case of my demise when selling them off!

I'm very aware that the technology used when reviewing the tonality of guitars is variable and that many reviewers tend to play in varying ways - esp. acoustic guitars played as if they were telecasters or whatever. (It is my firm belief that few electric guitarists really understand acoustics).

I have to say that the beard at Eddie's Guitars and our own beloved Michael Watts when he worked with TNAG are among the best.
You yourself did a great job with the two Collings guitars with different b&s as I recall.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-20-2020, 10:41 AM

In case you aren't aware of it, you can have Youtube stop recommending channels you don't like. I use it a lot - especially for channels that post misleading/obnoxious titles or 'doctored' video captures:
  • Click on the 3 vertical dots (under the video, right side)
  • select "don't recommend channel"
Rogue Resonator (kindling)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion