The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2020, 03:33 PM

It’s the opposite for me. My Gibson sounds so much better without a capo than with. My other guitars sound pretty much the same with or without a capo.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 08-24-2020, 05:33 AM

Will you consider zero fret?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 08-24-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Yes, zero fret is what he needs
Old 08-24-2020, 08:00 AM

Part of it is preference, but it sounds like your nut needs some work rather than the saddle.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 08-24-2020, 10:22 AM

I have a Yamaha FS850 that I hate the sound of the B and E strings when strumming. They totally overpower all the other notes in the chords. I have yet to find a solution other than adjust technique (playing quieter/softer).

My other 2 x guitars do not have this problem. I am also what I would consider a novice.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:40 AM

In defense of any implied Capo Animism that may be embedded in my posts.

I have absolutely no Capo Animism (i think this may not be the correct adjective but I will use it nonetheless)

Especially if your vocal range requires it, another valid reason would be that you have a song composed in Db or Eb which would be pretty hard to play on a guitar without some finger gymnastics.

What I do shy away from (mind you, I don't criticize, since I already stated, whatever makes your playing easier is fine with me)

The chore of ' tuning down ' a half step and then capo at the first fret just seems unnatural to me and can be accomplished in many other ways.

If tuning down and capo at a fret meets someone's objectives, more power to them.

To my perception, it just seems like a work around.

Really no Capo Animism in any of my responses.

Just preferences, just like some folks like Taylors, others like Martins or Gibsons.

MGF
Old 08-24-2020, 11:06 AM

It may also help to just use a lighter gauged pick. Especially for heavier strumming, that can mellow out the treble a bit.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Capo Animism, by the way, is an unintentionally excellent turn of phrase. I believe it would mean something along the lines of “regarding a capo as a semi-divine spirit”.

“Animism, belief in innumerable spiritual beings concerned with human affairs and capable of helping or harming human interests.”

https://www.britannica.com/topic/animism

(Not meant to make fun of the post, I just like nerdy jokes like that. Assume you were working from the root word “animus”, which would make sense in context.)
Old 08-24-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messi0457 View Post
I think I just need to get used to the sound of open strings with no capo. I don't think there is anything wrong with my guitar.
You're not alone, messi. I've been playing a couple of decades, and have found that, at least on some guitars and for some pieces of music, I prefer to capo. I'd rather capo than play off the nut -- usually because, like you, I don't like the sound of the treble strings.

Capoing has nothing to do with singing -- I don't sing except in my head.

You might feel differently on a different guitar -- I do.

Bottom line is there may be nothing wrong with the nut, or nothing in your technique, that is causing your preference.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:27 AM

stew mac has a zero fret nut replacement. I think that might help you with your tone.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...lide-nuts.html

Squier Stratocaster heavily modded
LTD EX-360
LTD H-207
Agile Interceptor 828
Old 08-24-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
You're not alone, messi. I've been playing a couple of decades, and have found that, at least on some guitars and for some pieces of music, I prefer to capo. I'd rather capo than play off the nut -- usually because, like you, I don't like the sound of the treble strings.

Capoing has nothing to do with singing -- I don't sing except in my head.

You might feel differently on a different guitar -- I do.

Bottom line is there may be nothing wrong with the nut, or nothing in your technique, that is causing your preference.
that's good to hear that I'm not the only one, especially since you've been playing for a long time.

At this point I've given up pretty much in playing without a capo. I've tried to get used to it but after a little bit I just can't stand the sound.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorreich View Post
stew mac has a zero fret nut replacement. I think that might help you with your tone.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...lide-nuts.html
What is that exactly??? It looks like a fret added to the nut?
Old 09-02-2020, 09:02 AM

Default resonance

I may toss in as a theory (or good possibility) that an acoustic guitar can resonate differently depending on how much of the guitar is invited into the vibration party. If a guitar has open string issues of funny standing waves that cause the guitar to have nodal issues (sometimes you can hear something similar to an "out of tune phase beating" even playing a single note:
If this is partly due to a bad match of tops, body, neck resonances that don't jive well, then putting on a capo may remove or reconfigure the vibrational interactions of the separate wooden parts and sound well, cleaner, or more balanced. I've played very, very few really well balance acoustic guitars but the ones that I did were surprisingly similar in their open nut chords verses fretted chords. Most guitars I've played the capo appears to remove some of the clattering and mud that can be present in "non-ideal" acoustics especially with more open chords.
Just thinking out loud. I'm certainly no expert on the subject, just a 62 year old gigging dinosaur.

Best,
Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion