The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you play guitar?
Privately for my own enjoyment 182 54.33%
Publicly for others, casually 78 23.28%
I'm a working musician 42 12.54%
other 33 9.85%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2020, 10:49 AM

Just a note..... The town I live in has been having a live band in the streets every Friday night since July 3rd. Maybe 1 out of 10 listeners wear a mask and social distancing in general is not happening. I'm guessing 300+ people in attendance. No spikes in cases.

So to those who are questioning 'it may never happen again'...… It's happening now folks.!!
Old 08-22-2020, 11:12 AM

I only play privately but post videos on YouTube.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samogitian View Post
It's the age of Youtube and lately Corona. Why would anyone play publicly?
And that is a problem. In my younger years I converted to electric guitar and thought I needed all the gear including a keyboard. I ended up spending way more time fiddling around with knobs than actually playing the guitar, and ended up just giving up. Then about 25 years later I started again with acoustic guitar, then ukulele, then vocals, and I love to play publicly. This means acoustic jams in bars, ukulele kanikapilas, open mics, and solo performances in senior residences. This is all without amplification so it goes as far as my voice and instruments carry. The interaction with other players and the audience is a big thing and I sure miss it! Just had a handful of distant outdoor opportunities all summer.

So I did one video of myself and found I had to do almost 20 takes before I was somewhat content with the result. If I was to go the YouTube route I would fall into the gear trap again and end up buying a load of stuff and then probably mess around more with it than actually enjoy myself playing. So I will not do it. Rather be patient and live with the imperfections and uniqueness of public playing.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:59 PM

Is there a survey list and how do I get to it? Or do I just answer
Old 10-13-2020, 06:06 PM

I love playing in my band.
We do shows for the public at City/County venues and private shows.

I also enjoy making music with my wife for assisted living centers and senior centers.

Because most of this has shut down, I have had fun at small jams and
a few outdoor shows for senior centers.

Starting this week, the band will try practicing again.
It will be done with distancing and if needed, masks.

For the past several months, most of my playing has been in my bedroom, working up new set list songs and keeping the old songs fresh.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
These days it's on the side of the bed, on the couch, in the back yard or down by the local river.
That list pretty much sums up my “stages” any more, as well!
Old 10-13-2020, 07:46 PM
AGF Administrator

Occasionally for friends, mostly by myself.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:51 PM

I started playing guitar/bass in 1978 at 12 years old. KISS got me into music a couple of years before that. Have played hundreds of shows since the mid 80's, mainly as a bass player. Started writing on and playing more acoustic than anything else about 3 years ago. Have a home studio and still play shows.
Recoding King Series 7 000 (Nashville Tuned)
Epiphone DR-212 (12 string)
Epiohone PRO-1 (Classical)
Gold Tone MC-150R/P Banjo
Dean Backwoods Banjo
Old 10-13-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Just a note..... The town I live in has been having a live band in the streets every Friday night since July 3rd. Maybe 1 out of 10 listeners wear a mask and social distancing in general is not happening. I'm guessing 300+ people in attendance. No spikes in cases.

So to those who are questioning 'it may never happen again'...… It's happening now folks.!!
Dig it !!!!!
Recoding King Series 7 000 (Nashville Tuned)
Epiphone DR-212 (12 string)
Epiohone PRO-1 (Classical)
Gold Tone MC-150R/P Banjo
Dean Backwoods Banjo
Old 10-13-2020, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Every where! Seriously, of course I play at home, privately... and I also will play for friends at times (although I'm not gonna shove it in their faces! If they want to me play and listen, I'm there.)

And for the great percentage of my life, I've followed a path of a singer/songwriter/guitarist, and have worked a lot of different jobs over the past 50+ years of doing this... in my own curmudgeonly way, of course!

I still love to get out and play the music for people... never been much of a "stage hound", though... I generally have to have a talk with myself about how much it means to put the songs "out ther" and what I want people to feel from it... that gets me focused and ready to go at downbeat! (That would be the beginning of the gig for anyone doesn't know).

So I voted for "other", 'cause you wouldn't let me check all the categories...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-13-2020, 07:55 PM

I play publicly - weekly with a church band. But, I haven't played semi-pro (paid gigs) in quite some time (I played lead guitar in rock bands for a number of years, until I moved where I live at the present time, in 2004 for my job), though I would love to do so again. The thing is, at age 57, getting back in the "playing for money" game, is kind of hard to do - especially if you don't want to play the blooze, klassic rawk, or country music, that people expect out of older players.

Also, paying acoustic gigs in a band format, are few and far between in my neck of the woods, and I don't want to do like a certain local entertainer around here does - have a solo act, playing songs/ditties, and telling jokes. I also don't want to do the soft background music, lounge act thing. So, so much for getting paid to play.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 10-13-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:58 PM

Have played in front of several crowds. In high school I was a percussionist. All the Friday night football games in marching band. Concerts and band contest. Had a lot of fun.

The biggest crowd was marching around the track at Indianapolis 500 in 1974.

All the while playing guitar at the county fair and small parties. All just for fun.

My guitar teacher had recitals and but together a couple of shows a year for the local nursing homes and campgrounds. Again, had a lot of fun.

The last couple of years has been local bluegrass jams. But then Covid hit so now just learning a lot of Bob Dylan and Doc Watson songs.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 10-13-2020, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Full-time working musician close to 200 shows a year and very grateful for it...
Old 10-14-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I did an open mic once with the help of a friend. It went pretty well but I have never mustered up the courage to do it again.
IMO, there is no better way to improve both your skills and confidence than getting up on stage for open mics. It has helped my to such a degree that I've gone from someone who hadn't really played for thirty years to someone who is now getting paid gigs. I have seen major personality changes in at least two young people who got out of their comfort zones (and shells) and had the courage to play at open mics. In both cases it has been truly a joy to watch them blossom.

When and if the world gets back to some semblance of normal you might consider doing it again, and on a regular basis.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-14-2020, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

We play publicly for an audience but if nobody shows up, it’s privately.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion