The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-22-2019, 04:14 PM

I'll second the Peavey Predator USA recommendation. Comfortable wide neck. You'll need to replace the tuners. Pickups sound good but are ceramic.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
I’ll bet the ESP is very close to standard Fender neck pocket. They make Tele and Strat necks, straight end & curved, etc. Spend a little time on their site and look at the listings for ‘In Stock’. That’s where the best values are located.

They can answer your questions regarding an ESP retrofit.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Thanks, Howard, I will look into it. The ESP was a cheap but reasonable value way to try electric, but highlighted how bad my technique was. Trying to improve & play cleanly taught me how unsuitable that kind of neck is for me. I have large hands (full spread pinky to thumb is almost 10.5"). Easier to fake it on a dread.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 05-27-2019, 05:31 AM

Default Wide nut electric guitar ?? I know!! Sinful..

Believe it or not sometimes the thickness and contour of the neck can also influence how much “space” your hand perceives you have to play. it can make the difference between cramped feeling or not. I think PRS guitars have wide, fat neck option.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
Believe it or not sometimes the thickness and contour of the neck can also influence how much “space” your hand perceives you have to play. it can make the difference between cramped feeling or not. I think PRS guitars have wide, fat neck option.
Absolutely the gospel truth.

When I've mentioned that in the past people ignore it. They don't equate a guitar neck with buying a proper fitting pair of pants. They only think in 2 dimensions instead of 3.

Leave them to repeat their mistakes. We need more underpriced hardly-used stuff to buy.

HE
Old 05-29-2019, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Wide Nut

The new Gibson HP series have 1.74" (44.2MM) wide nut width. I purchased a 2016 HP Gibson LP Studio second hand for not a lot of money and love it. One of the best sounding guitars I own.
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 05-29-2019, 09:16 PM

I went through the same kind of search around a year and a half ago, and ended up with the Eastman T184MX-LS in my signature. It has a 1-3/4" nut and almost the identical neck profile as the Eastman E6OM I had at the time. It's a thin hollow body, so not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like mine.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Absolutely the gospel truth.

When I've mentioned that in the past people ignore it. They don't equate a guitar neck with buying a proper fitting pair of pants. They only think in 2 dimensions instead of 3.

Leave them to repeat their mistakes. We need more underpriced hardly-used stuff to buy.

HE
Very interesting perspective, and not one I had been aware of in the past.

Just last week I purchased a used PRS SE Zach Myers guitar. When I received it, the neck felt like it was perhaps a 1-3/4" nut width and the neck was definitely more robust than any other guitar I currently own. I actually very much liked the shape and thickness even though I typically like thinner, "faster" necks.

I measured the nut and was surprised to see that it was a 1-11/16" nut width. I drew the conclusion that shape and thickness of the neck contributed to the PRS SE playing and feeling like a wider neck. And, I have to say, I do really love the feel of the PRS neck.

Your comments above confirm my thoughts as well. Just goes to show...you learn something new every day!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars