The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2015, 04:32 PM

Default Drum throne as a performance seat

I've been looking at various "guitar" chairs and although nice, many come at a hefty price. As an alternative, I've been looking at the drum thrones with back support. Anybody ever try one ?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:05 PM

Research posts about Soundseat. And visit soundseat.com. 'Nuff said.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

+1 on Soundseat. That started out as a drum throne and morphed into a variety of other things. I still have mine and generally use it as an office chair.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:28 PM

I've used a drum throne before. One nice thing is that the angled legs make a decent place to rest your extended foot against. Not really a footrest per se, but still comfy. I don't use mine anymore because it only goes so high, and until I get my knee replacement done, I cannot get up off such a low seat.

I also have Roc-n-Soc and a Pick-n-Glider. Both are nice living room furniture, but much pricier than a simple drum throne. I only recently learned about the SoundSeat here, but have never seen one in person.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:42 AM

I made my living on a drum throne for a dozen years-- first playing pedal steel guitar, then playing conventional guitar while simultaneously playing "bass pedals" (actually MIDI pedal keyboards). In both of these applications, being able to adjust the height of the seat was critical to accurate playing and minimizing fatigue. Also in both applications, the ability of the seat to turn was very helpful.

The one I used did not have back support. It served me very well, and I wish I could remember the make and model. It broke about ten years ago while someone else was using it.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
I've been looking at various "guitar" chairs and although nice, many come at a hefty price. As an alternative, I've been looking at the drum thrones with back support. Anybody ever try one ?
Hi Tomm…

I tried the large Roc-n-Soc and honestly, it puts the legs to sleep if you sit in it for extended periods. It doesn't put drummer's legs to sleep because they are moving around while playing a lot more.

We now own 2 SoundSeat chairs, one of the guitar (lower piston) and the other for computer (higher piston).

Here's some pictures for comparison of the Drum throne next to a SoundSeat, and it's pretty obvious why the SoundSeat is superior.

I'd say the SoundSeats are more than worth the investment being all leather, tremendous build quality (our oldest is more than a decade old without a split seam or a tear).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-02-2015, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the direct comparison pictures, Larry. The larger "seat print" of the Soundseat makes a lot of sense, comfort-wise. I'll have to investigate further.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 AM

LJ, you continually put down the Roc n Soc. It may put your legs to sleep, you have admitted that you have unusually short legs and a more than ample body. I find the Roc n Soc to be a fine guitar stool. It has a shock absorber for spring, the seat offers outstanding support and the height is adjustable. It has never put my legs to sleep and I am not tall. The Sound seat is way too much chair for many of us as a performing seat that the OP said he is looking for. .......Mike

edit to add:
While looking at the two seats side by side, one can see the size difference. My butt fits within the Roc n Soc seat and within the outer contoured seat support edge. If one requires the extra size of the Soundseat, maybe an exercise program should be considered. ......Mike

Last edited by 00-28; 06-02-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:02 AM

Default yep

Been using my Roc Soc around the house as a guitar seat for years now, since I quit drumming.
But as our esteemed ljguitar Larry points out, the leg numbing issue can be a factor.
So I use a small chunk of wood--it's about 3 inches thick--on the floor as a footrest.

In performance though, I take a stool so I'm sitting up higher than the audience, using the rungs as footrests.

I'll check out the Soundseat.
Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Hey Tommy, if you're on a budget the Rock-N-Sock will work just fine, depending on your build, but if you can swing the cash than go with the Soundseat. You go from $150 to $300 but it's well worth the difference. I have one Soundeat at home and two in the showroom, love them.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Tomm…

I tried the large Roc-n-Soc and honestly, it puts the legs to sleep if you sit in it for extended periods. It doesn't put drummer's legs to sleep because they are moving around while playing a lot more.

We now own 2 SoundSeat chairs, one of the guitar (lower piston) and the other for computer (higher piston).

Here's some pictures for comparison of the Drum throne next to a SoundSeat, and it's pretty obvious why the SoundSeat is superior.

I'd say the SoundSeats are more than worth the investment being all leather, tremendous build quality (our oldest is more than a decade old without a split seam or a tear).

Larry do you take your Soundseat out on gigs or is it an at-home-only fixture ? Whatever I wind up with will be taken out and though I try to be careful........................you know what happens if you do enough gigs !
Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I've used a drum throne before. One nice thing is that the angled legs make a decent place to rest your extended foot against. Not really a footrest per se, but still comfy. I don't use mine anymore because it only goes so high, and until I get my knee replacement done, I cannot get up off such a low seat.

I also have Roc-n-Soc and a Pick-n-Glider. Both are nice living room furniture, but much pricier than a simple drum throne. I only recently learned about the SoundSeat here, but have never seen one in person.
Yes, sitting on our drummers throne, the built-in foot rest became obvious.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:10 AM

I have a Roc-N-Soc. I like it. I looked at the Soundseat as well but went with the Roc-N-Soc for price. I'd really like to afford a really nice wooden chair but the price for the one I wanted was the price of a nice guitar. So far, no real complaints with the Roc-N-Soc.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Yup! Good! Very good!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Larry do you take your Soundseat out on gigs or is it an at-home-only fixture ? Whatever I wind up with will be taken out and though I try to be careful........................you know what happens if you do enough gigs !
Hi Tomm…

I don't, but SoundSeat does build a portable model.

I have taken mine in the RV for 6 weeks at a time, and I've taken it to a few gigs, but normally I just sit in a chair for gigs.

When I'm teaching and rehearsing, I tend to be in a chair for long periods (90 minutes to hours) so the chair was a must when I was doing a dozen 90 minute lessons a week.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion