The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Default PWM on a Babicz.. anyone have that?

Lookin to install a PWM on a babicz identity for a friend sometime...

as you all know, it's a pinless design and that bridge is movable to adjust intonation...

anyone have any experience whether using the K&K in there will affect anything if ever the bridge had to be moved?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:44 AM

One of the advantages of the K&K is that the pickup is relatively flexible in its location. I contrast it to the PUTW, which is very sensative to precise location and it, the PUTW, responds a lot to very small changes in position.

The K&K, on the other hand, gives good sound without being so sensative to precise location. I'm making this point because adjustments to the bridge for intonation will likely be quite small. IMO, such small adjustments to the bridge position would not require repositioning the K&K elements.

So, get the intonation right; then, install the K&K, and probably any future adjustments to the bridge won't be a problem.

-Raf
Old 08-22-2009, 10:49 AM

yeah i did think it'd be ok with a lil adjustment sincei've done some weird isntallations with the PWM and they still sounded pretty darn good!

I'm just a lil concerned if there's anything underneath that also moves when the bridge above moves.. screws or bolts or anything...and the PWM comes in the way or something like that...

but well I did email jeff babicz as well.. hopefully he can put my concerns to rest.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:05 AM

So Jeff replied and he said something which clicked...

if they can put an ibeam in there from the imix system the K&K shouldn't be a problem...

and yeah Raf you're right the K&K is more forgiving than the ibeam... so it's looking good =)
Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
Lookin to install a PWM on a babicz identity for a friend sometime...

as you all know, it's a pinless design and that bridge is movable to adjust intonation...

anyone have any experience whether using the K&K in there will affect anything if ever the bridge had to be moved?
I put a K&K PWM in my Identity Jumbo. It sounds fantastic. I created a jig using the bridge screws for alignment in lieu of the pins. It was a little hairy but it worked out very well.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 AM

mmm but if you took out the bridge screws, wouldn't the bridge start to move around? so 2 lil wooden sticks will go all the way through the bridge screws?

mmm i wonder what it looks like down there...

so i wouldn't need to drill mini holes in the saddle slots as alignment help then.. that's good fer sre
Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
mmm but if you took out the bridge screws, wouldn't the bridge start to move around? so 2 lil wooden sticks will go all the way through the bridge screws?

mmm i wonder what it looks like down there...

so i wouldn't need to drill mini holes in the saddle slots as alignment help then.. that's good fer sre
THe bridge will definitely move around after you remove the screws, but I marked the position of the bridge prior to removal with masking tape. I don't recall the details specifically regarding how I made the jig, and unfortunately didn't really keep good notes. I DID use a forstner bit to drill out the hole for the endpin jack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification