The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I continue to be baffled by the assertion that “it is hard to trust sources”, or the similar “we have lost faith in the experts”. .
As I have stated in a number of posts, it’s because of people being told something by “experts” and having it turn out to be completely bogus or over-hyped.
This has happened so many times and with regard to so many different things in the past it’s practically uncountable.
There is a group of people who aren’t listening anymore.
I really don’t see what’s so hard to understand about that.
You continue to have trust and faith...those folks don’t.
Nothing baffling about why that is...in my opinion.
BTW, I don’t agree with a total lack of trust, but I’m definitely more of a skeptic than I used to be.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-29-2020, 11:33 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Fwiw, I contracted H1N1 (Swine Flu) late this past January while wintering in SW Florida. It was brutal, sickest I’ve been in my life...2 weeks really ill with temps up to 103.6, chills, extreme fatigue, food tasted weird, overnight in hospital to get rehydrated, suspected pneumonia which thankfully turned out not to be so. Another few weeks spent getting back to normal.

I feel I’ve had a glimpse of what Covid could be like, and it’s not something you want to experience, let-alone a full blown case. We owe it to each other to take relatively simple measures to keep us all well. It’s about respect.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Virus Mutation

Here’s an interesting update. The mutation has proven tricky and sticky!

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB166pjJ?m=en-...rID=InAppShare
Old 06-29-2020, 12:03 PM

I had a problem with my DVR, so I called Comcast for a replacement. They agreed I needed one. In the two days before the technician arrived, I got no fewer than six calls from them making sure I really needed service. I also got several text messages reminding me of their Covid policy, their dedication to public health, and how everyone needs to wear masks.

I got another call this morning from the technician. We ran thru the whole diagnostic routine one more time just to make sure on site service was needed.

Yet, when he arrived, he had no mask. I reminded him to put one on. He asked, "why, does someone here have Covid?" I reminded him of Comcast's own policy. He reluctantly donned a mask. Yet, while working he frequently let it slip down below his nose, effectively rendering it useless.

I don't have the words.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I had a problem with my DVR, so I called Comcast for a replacement. They agreed I needed one. In the two days before the technician arrived, I got no fewer than six calls from them making sure I really needed service. I also got several text messages reminding me of their Covid policy, their dedication to public health, and how everyone needs to wear masks.

I got another call this morning from the technician. We ran thru the whole diagnostic routine one more time just to make sure on site service was needed.

Yet, when he arrived, he had no mask. I reminded him to put one on. He asked, "why, does someone here have Covid?" I reminded him of Comcast's own policy. He reluctantly donned a mask. Yet, while working he frequently let it slip down below his nose, effectively rendering it useless.

I don't have the words.

You would do everyone a favor if you reported him so they could train or remove the technician. My 94 year old parents use Comcast (seemingly way too often) and this is an exposure they need to avoid.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
As I have stated in a number of posts, it’s because of people being told something by “experts” and having it turn out to be completely bogus or over-hyped.
This has happened so many times and with regard to so many different things in the past it’s practically uncountable.
There is a group of people who aren’t listening anymore.
I really don’t see what’s so hard to understand about that.
You continue to have trust and faith...those folks don’t.
Nothing baffling about why that is...in my opinion.
BTW, I don’t agree with a total lack of trust, but I’m definitely more of a skeptic than I used to be.
I understand that is “the takeaway”. When I dig into details, I find that “bogus or over-hyped” is a component that gets added on by people who are not medical experts, whether they be reporters, capitalistic opportunists, the guy who posts a link to a brief summary on Facebook, etc.

You sometimes see bogus research in a professional journal, but not that often. And most researchers and academicians are pretty careful about how they describe implications of research.

And, while some skepticism is warranted, IMO, it is virtually impossible to find a better source of information than an expert. Who is a more trustworthy source about something that is difficult to understand....like a disease or a new virus? THAT IS WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND. Who can be trusted to have the relevant background on similar diseases? Who else will conduct research that will gradually reveal more of the facts about the virus, how it spreads, how it can be contained, how it can be treated? Your grandmother? Your bartender? Your pastor? They have their areas of expertise....but their expertise does not help us understand how to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

So, I hope I have made it more clear. I think I understand people’s frustration. I don’t understand how that frustration leads to rather thorough mistrust, and acting in ways that seem ill-advised, when following the recommendations (and changing behaviors as recommendations change) is low effort and low cost. It sometimes seems like an exercise in “You’re not the boss of me!” self-assertion, without much contemplation beyond the reaction to frustration. Is there a more thoughtful process going on that I am failing to see?

P. S. I don’t want to beat a dead horse. I would like to understand. This will be my last effort to try to clarify what I haven’t yet understood. So please be patient with me, and try to point out what I am missing. Thanks in advance for giving this one more try.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Just a thought...

Regardless of trust, lies, conspiracy, whatever, while the international medical world fights to ultimately get us all out of this mess, today’s young people may not realize that the power to put a stranglehold on the pandemic crisis really lies with them...now more than ever. This is a power they might embrace if properly conveyed...to appeal to their proper interpersonal relations and sense of social responsibility to follow some simple, common sense measures for the benefit of all.

But, how to do it? Maybe an historical perspective could help. Perhaps the governments/media should design a campaign to remind, in very profound ways, that many years ago, young people just like them sacrificed by going off to war to protect their elders and the homeland. This is different, but at the same time, it isn’t. They don’t even have to place themselves in harms way.

Many older adults believe that too much time was spent making the same youth feel special and entitled such that they don’t care about anyone but themselves. It’s sad that such a perspective seems pervasive. Even if they don’t know it, likely beneath that characterization is a young generation who may be looking for an opportunity to rise to this occasion even beyond their mobilized passion against racism. It’s up to the older generation to initiate and guide something like this. A passive movement with life changing/saving implications.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

If a person is so nieve as to not understand the eb and flow of the information of expert's and the news media then I can't see how they can believe or trust anyone about anything at anytime. Their personal communication standards and reactions are less than a child's. This is why I am suspect of the "you can't believe anybody " argument. Obviously they have to believe somethings from somebody to have opinions. It's a circular reasoning argument.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-29-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Just a thought...

Regardless of trust, lies, conspiracy, whatever, while the international medical world fights to ultimately get us all out of this mess, today’s young people may not realize that the power to put a stranglehold on the pandemic crisis really lies with them...now more than ever. This is a power they might embrace if properly conveyed...to appeal to their proper interpersonal relations and sense of social responsibility to follow some simple, common sense measures for the benefit of all.

But, how to do it? Maybe an historical perspective could help. Perhaps the governments/media should design a campaign to remind, in very profound ways, that many years ago, young people just like them sacrificed by going off to war to protect their elders and the homeland. This is different, but at the same time, it isn’t. They don’t even have to place themselves in harms way.

Many older adults believe that too much time was spent making the same youth feel special and entitled such that they don’t care about anyone but themselves. It’s sad that such a perspective seems pervasive. Even if they don’t know it, likely beneath that characterization is a young generation who may be looking for an opportunity to rise to this occasion even beyond their mobilized passion against racism. It’s up to the older generation to initiate and guide something like this. A passive movement with life changing/saving implications.
I feel like you're giving a large portion of the population too much of a benefit of the doubt.

The way I see it, it's the roaring 20s all over again and history is repeating itself - only people feel like history isn't real because they weren't there. Maybe in 2050 things will be back to "normal."
Old 06-29-2020, 02:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I feel like you're giving a large portion of the population too much of a benefit of the doubt.

The way I see it, it's the roaring 20s all over again and history is repeating itself - only people feel like history isn't real because they weren't there. Maybe in 2050 things will be back to "normal."
Perhaps, but it may be better than not trying at all. Maybe it’s time for the older generation to publicly give the younger generation more credit than we have been by reaching out to them in a meaningful way.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
If a person is so nieve as to not understand the eb and flow of the information of expert's and the news media then I can't see how they can believe or trust anyone about anything at anytime. Their personal communication standards and reactions are less than a child's. This is why I am suspect of the "you can't believe anybody " argument. Obviously they have to believe somethings from somebody to have opinions. It's a circular reasoning argument.
Say you know little to nothing about cars or engines, and you've just bought a new ________. You decide you wanna be careful and "break it in" correctly.

So you read the blurb in the owners manual. Then you ask your friend that is a self-proclaimed expert on the topic. Then you hit up the google, youtube, and various blogs on the subject.

You will find yourself with myriad different opinions and conclusions - leaving you with decision which "expert" to trust.

I consider myself an expert on cars and engines. What I consider to be the "correct" break-in procedure is very different than what you'd read in the owner manual. I've never had an engine failure. But I'll bet there are plenty of folks that followed another expert's opinion that also haven't experienced engine failures.

So where does that leave us? Both of us correct? Neither of us correct? Somewhere in between? Break in procedure doesn't matter, period??

By the way: if you know little to nothing about engines or break in procedures - spend a few minutes reading about different techniques. It'll make your head spin.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Say you know little to nothing about cars or engines, and you've just bought a new ________. You decide you wanna be careful and "break it in" correctly.

So you read the blurb in the owners manual. Then you ask your friend that is a self-proclaimed expert on the topic. Then you hit up the google, youtube, and various blogs on the subject.

You will find yourself with myriad different opinions and conclusions - leaving you with decision which "expert" to trust.

I consider myself an expert on cars and engines. What I consider to be the "correct" break-in procedure is very different than what you'd read in the owner manual. I've never had an engine failure. But I'll bet there are plenty of folks that followed another expert's opinion that also haven't experienced engine failures.

So where does that leave us? Both of us correct? Neither of us correct? Somewhere in between? Break in procedure doesn't matter, period??

By the way: if you know little to nothing about engines or break in procedures - spend a few minutes reading about different techniques. It'll make your head spin.
And the point is: unless you give up and sell the car, you have to make a decision about who to trust, and what to do. That decision is based on beliefs. And I personally want to know who people trust about medical stuff if they don’t trust medical experts, and why they trust those people.

Maybe you would trust a Subaru owners manual, but not a Ford (because of the Pinto), and not an Audi (because of their recent misdeeds about emissions). Or maybe you would trust your mechanic because he seems to so needed repairs, but at low cost. Or maybe you would decide your mechanic is the very last person to trust, because he stands to make money from the repairs. Or maybe you would look at all the recommendations and throw out the ones that are most extreme, and go with the ones that are “common” or “average”.

I really want to know.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Is this still the covid19/coronavirus thread???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-29-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm not sure it ever really was... just sayin'.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
No...someone changed the channel. These are the recordings from the heyday of “Car Talk”.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic