The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-13-2021, 11:34 AM

N. Mich.

Generac, 10KW, Nat Gas, Generac concrete pad, wired, piped, set up to test run every 2 weeks, all permits with external switch for auto starting at night.------$7450.

Fog
Old 01-13-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
Big nasty storm here last night. A lot of down trees, ten of thousands without power. My portable Onan is roaring away. It's noisy but I'm sure glad to have it.
I can hear mine from the far end of the house. Between me and it are the garage, kitchen, all the windows are closed, and I'm on the second floor.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I can hear mine from the far end of the house. Between me and it are the garage, kitchen, all the windows are closed, and I'm on the second floor.
This outage could last the day or more. If so, I'll move the generator to a tool shed where the noise is muffled. Now it's gas to get caveat being our only station is open.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
This outage could last the day or more. If so, I'll move the generator to a tool shed where the noise is muffled. Now it's gas to get caveat being our only station is open.
Yeah, "We do not have an estimate yet for when the power will be back on, but we will let you know when we do." is the message from my Public Utility...

I don't know how your corner of the PNW works, but three days of light rain, and our rivers flood, and any wind over 25 MPH and anything can happen!
Old 01-13-2021, 05:12 PM

Older thread but my wife and just I decided to have one installed 24kW, pad wiring, gas hookup etc.
12 grand
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 01-13-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
Older thread but my wife and just I decided to have one installed 24kW, pad wiring, gas hookup etc.
12 grand
Exact size I got, and the exact price I paid.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post

I don't know how your corner of the PNW works, but three days of light rain, and our rivers flood, and any wind over 25 MPH and anything can happen!
Exactly. We were without power for nearly a week during one bad winter. Tossed a lot of stuff then ordered the gen. The portables are really popular here. Mine lives in a heated garage until needed, and I fire it up two or three times during a summer.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

This is interesting to me as I have never felt the need for such a thing here in Iowa. But I have never been more than a couple of hours without utilities. Is this just a luxury or is necessary?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-13-2021, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
This is interesting to me as I have never felt the need for such a thing here in Iowa. But I have never been more than a couple of hours without utilities. Is this just a luxury or is necessary?
This is interesting to me, also. Some years ago, we had a freak storm - an inch of rain an hour, for four or five hours. It happened to coincide with the only serious power outage we’ve experienced in this house before or after - the power was out the whole time.

Result was that my basement flooded, because the sump pump had no juice. The cleanup from that, I wouldn’t wish on anyone - even though we only had about 4” of water in the basement by the time all was said and done.

$12k to have house power for the sump (not to mention two freezers full of meat) vs. the deductible on my insurance and the sheer inconvenience of dealing with the aftermath? Seems like a pretty good investment to me.

And, yes, I do have a battery backup for my sump pump, but I’m not at all confident it could keep up with the deluge we experienced previously.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-13-2021, 08:36 PM

What fuel type is best for the big generators?
Old 01-14-2021, 09:12 AM

Default Back up sump pump

After a basement flood I looked into backup sump pumps. I ended up getting one that ties into our city water feed. Needs at least 40 pounds of water pressure, doesn't work with wells. Saved me when the power went out a week after it was installed. Home backup systems can save a lot of destruction or waste.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
What fuel type is best for the big generators?
You can go with LP or Natural gas. Whichever your house uses.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:39 AM

When power goes off, one has to shake the dice on how long is it off. 15 minutes or 2 days more. Remember it's in the middle of the night and big time icing/storming out usually.

The drill is to shut OFF the main breaker from the utility co. power feed (That can hanging out on the pole steps your power up from your generator as well as down in regular times), pull generator outside from garage so no CO, and get it started 110/208v needed for well pump. 5 kw was fine for me to run my house so I put in a 10kw Generac (7kw is their smallest).

Hey, I ain't 35 anymore and that Generac thing makes my life WAY easier. The money I used for the new generator system shouldn't mess up my funeral too much.

Fog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic