The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-16-2020, 03:16 PM

Question HELP! Rainsong Neck reset question

So Last July I bought a new Rainsong DN 12 fret CO last July from LA Guitars online. Immeadiatly I realized that something was up with the neck joint, it was a rare guitar so I wanted it fixed and LA was just offering me to return it. Talking to Rainsong they were going to charge me shipping both ways just to check if it was up to their standards (Could be a 250$ Expence). That really put be back a little bit. They could not stand behind their work. The way I felt they were treating me was that this was a preference thing not something wrong with the neck. I felt gaslighted. So I just tried to play the guitar...

With the guitar still nagging at me, I took it to a local tech at a place that sold Rainsongs and he confirmed my intuition. The neck needed to be reset. The local Tech had never done one on a rainsong and would not try.

Contacting Rainsong ended with the same outcome, we will look at it only if you pay for shipping both ways. I challenged their policy and they went radio silence and did not answer my email.

What should I do? Just pay the all the shipping hoping that they will actually do the work needed? OR keep trying to find a tech that knows how to do this with Rainsong?

I like sound of the guitar but the action and feel is just bad for a $2100 guitar.

What should I do?

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
Taylor 320e Limited Baritone 2014
RainSong Shorty SS 12fret
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Mainland Ceder/RW tenor Uke.
Outdoor tenor Uke
Heywire Custom Swamp ash Strat
Old 03-16-2020, 03:25 PM

You need to send it to RainSong. They will likely send it back as in-spec or build you a new one. Since these guitars should not change over time, they probably used permanent epoxy glues that make a repair with good cosmetics impossible.

RainSong is a small operation and their policy is you should resolve this sort of problem with the dealer during the return window, or pay shipping both ways. My duo partner returned a Taylor with delaminating finish on the back and sides a few years ago and he paid shipping both ways too. Taylor did a nice job on the repair, but surprised me that they did not refinish the guitar's top too, where there were some small dings. It would have made paying shipping feel like a little less of a loss.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-16-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revj View Post
So Last July I bought a new Rainsong DN 12 fret CO last July from LA Guitars online. Immeadiatly I realized that something was up with the neck joint, it was a rare guitar so I wanted it fixed and LA was just offering me to return it. Talking to Rainsong they were going to charge me shipping both ways just to check if it was up to their standards (Could be a 250$ Expence). That really put be back a little bit. They could not stand behind their work. The way I felt they were treating me was that this was a preference thing not something wrong with the neck. I felt gaslighted. So I just tried to play the guitar...

With the guitar still nagging at me, I took it to a local tech at a place that sold Rainsongs and he confirmed my intuition. The neck needed to be reset. The local Tech had never done one on a rainsong and would not try.

Contacting Rainsong ended with the same outcome, we will look at it only if you pay for shipping both ways. I challenged their policy and they went radio silence and did not answer my email.

What should I do? Just pay the all the shipping hoping that they will actually do the work needed? OR keep trying to find a tech that knows how to do this with Rainsong?

I like sound of the guitar but the action and feel is just bad for a $2100 guitar.

What should I do?
Sorry you are going through this. Not to add insult to injury, but next time return it to LA Guitars and have them send you another new one. Lesson learned. Looks like you will have to spend the money to ship it now, unless you can contact LA and smooth talk them into trying to help you out? It might be worth a shot.

Good luck
Old 03-16-2020, 03:52 PM

That's unfortunate sorry to hear this. If you love the guitar and want to keep it than having Rainsong repair it would definitely be best. I admit I wouldn't be happy about paying shipping both ways but it sounds like the issue was there from the start and probably should've been taken care of than. Maybe you can try to barter and get them to cover half the shipping cost, especially if it was a factory issue and got missed by QA.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Aren't carbon fiber guitars supposed to not need neck resets or most any other kind of maintenance aside from string changes? This surprises me.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-16-2020, 04:13 PM

Given the consistency across CF guitars, I would suggest return it as it is not what you expected. You could then seek a replacement of the same model if it is what you like.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Given the consistency across CF guitars, I would suggest return it as it is not what you expected. You could then seek a replacement of the same model if it is what you like.
You might want to re-read the original post. The return window is long since closed.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-16-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Can’t they tell from photos and measurements? What’s going on with the neck that you think it needs to be reset?
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-16-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:

What should I do?
I am so confused. Last July, and you are trying to deal with this now coming up on a year later? How rare of a guitar could this be?

At this point RainSong is looking at this as a warranty thing. I would imagine that it makes sense that they are not paying shipping? Fairly common practice I would think.

You are using language in your post saying “RainSong would not stand behind their work” and “hoping that they will actually do the work needed”. These are likely inaccurate and unfair statements as far as I’m concerned. I get that you are upset, but come on.

I’m going to say what probably everyone here is thinking. What in the world were you thinking keeping a brand new guitar that showed up like that? Even the dealer offered to help you and you refused?

This is one of the most bizarre posts I have ever read on here.

I would add this. This is coming from someone who, in recent months, took delivery of a new guitar from RainSong that was a cosmetic mess. Even the replacement one that was sent was not fully meeting expectations, but in reality everything more or less worked out in the end. All this to say, I’m not a super fan of RainSong, but I’m with RainSong on this one.

They never said they would not stand by their product. They will fix it once either you or the dealer gets it to them. As someone else said here, this is a hard lesson learned. That’s what this is.

I’m not trying to be harsh, just realistic.

Having said all this, I truly do wish you the best of luck, and I certainly hope this works out for you.

I too had no understanding that CF guitars would ever need a reset. Could it have taken a hard knock in shipping? It’s either that or the dealer sent it in that condition. Not sure what is worse, but it was one of those 2 things.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-16-2020, 05:23 PM

Some Clarification:
This is a one off custom that La Guitars had. I have not seen another one.
Your right, I should have returned it when I bought it. But I thought the problem was fixable not returnable. They made me feel like I was the problem, not the guitar and I just moved on for a time.

It is my opinion they would say something like this. I see in the photos that this is not looking right. Ship it to us for a closer look and we will work it out from there. But what I got was "Ship it to us with a $100 check and we will see."

So the two options I see is possibly throwing away about $250 bucks to get them to tell me that it meets their expectations and it get's sent back to me

Or

They will build me a new guitar (which I really just want this one fixed but it looks like it is not fixable.)

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
Taylor 320e Limited Baritone 2014
RainSong Shorty SS 12fret
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Mainland Ceder/RW tenor Uke.
Outdoor tenor Uke
Heywire Custom Swamp ash Strat
Old 03-16-2020, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Looks like just about everyone agrees, including the OP, that the best thing to do would have been return it to LA Guitars while you still could.

But, that horse has bolted.

I may regret asking this, but what, exactly, is wrong with it?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-16-2020, 06:04 PM
Guest 928

I'd pay to have it shipped, and weep and wail through the whole process. My consolation would be that if the guitar is truly a mess Rainsong will replace it. It's like you get a new guitar for $250.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Some Clarification:
This is a one off custom that La Guitars had. I have not seen another one.
Your right, I should have returned it when I bought it. But I thought the problem was fixable not returnable. They made me feel like I was the problem, not the guitar and I just moved on for a time.

It is my opinion they would say something like this. I see in the photos that this is not looking right. Ship it to us for a closer look and we will work it out from there. But what I got was "Ship it to us with a $100 check and we will see."

So the two options I see is possibly throwing away about $250 bucks to get them to tell me that it meets their expectations and it get's sent back to me

Or

They will build me a new guitar (which I really just want this one fixed but it looks like it is not fixable.)
I really do wish you well man...crap situation for sure...

My mentality dictates that brand new guitars with significant problems are always returned, and used guitars with problems are fixed. Having said this, I guess I can understand your thinking perhaps a bit if you felt the guitar was that unique/special etc...New guitar purchases can have an emotional side to them...

I can’t see them replacing the instrument, but surely they will do right by you.

Please keep us informed...assuming you don’t mind...It’s always good to know how companies operate when there are issues...

Good luck
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-17-2020, 11:38 AM

It sounds like RainSong is willing to stand behind their work, you just have to get them the guitar. Which is pretty standard procedure for warranty repair/replacement.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I understand the OP's vexation at having to spend money to ship a guitar that potentially was let out the door with a problem. I agree that it should have been sent back within Ted's 72-hour return policy.

What I don't understand is a concern about spending some money to have the guitar evaluated by RainSong. If it isn't playable as it is, investing a bit more to get a resolution is better than fuming and having an unplayable guitar. RainSong has a reputation for being a stand-up guitar maker - if there is, indeed, an issue, they are your best resolution.

I'd be interested to hear about "the rest of the story." I can't imagine RainSong and LA Guitar Sales would intentionally let out a guitar with an issue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber