The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-06-2019, 07:15 AM

Once around the top of the boom, once around the back end of the boom is all that's needed, helps balance things. Only for live use (not studio).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-06-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I always wrapped the cord because if I didn't it usually draped the cord making it more prevalent to trip over. That would bring everything down.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-06-2019, 09:12 AM

I'm a professional sound guy, and I typically don't wrap the cable around the stand. My tripod stands all have telescoping booms, so they have a knob in the middle of the boom. The cable goes under a leg, over the clutch, under the knob in the middle, straight to the mic. Still looks neat and tidy, but much faster to set up and remove.

Every once in a while there's a need to wrap the cable around the boom, but it doesn't happen very often. And don't get me started on people who feel the need to wrap the cable around the main tube! There's not much worse than undoing a dozen wraps all the way up and down each stand, multiplied by the number of stands on stage (sometimes 50+). That's pretty much the last thing I want to spend time doing at the end of a show, followed in second place with undoing hundreds of cable clips on the stands.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I personally never remove my mic from
The stand. If the cord is wrapped starting from the floor then when
Some "stupid idiot" lol trips over a cord the force is put at the bottom
Of the stand. The stand usually shuffles across the floor but stays upright. If this
Is not done the force is at the mic surely
taking it to the floor. If you need the mic
Off the stand for some reason it's a two
Second deal even for a "stupid idiot". Lol..
If there is enough cord you can still
Do this leaving slack at the top
So adjustments can be made.
Nobody trips over my cables, they are coiled and tucked under the mic stand.

I'm with Bob:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
"WHO DID THIS?"

I never did it again. I now just drape the cord over the boom tilt clutch and the boom extension clutch and it looks nice and neat until the artist touches it.
Bob
Old 11-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I am just curious as to how many people out there wrap the mic cord around the boom arm when playing out. EVERY gig I've ever been to with a "pro" sound guy has it done.

Where I play, I often need to hand the mic off to a speaker and so I do not wrap my cord. I simply tuck it into the notch of my DR Pro wingnut.

And, is it really necessary to do it at all? If the mic stand gets knocked over, the mic is still gonna hit the ground, and if the mic pops off the XLR connector, I can't see the point.

Anxiously awaiting your thoughts...
Hi YG

I wrap it on the extension arm, not for safety, but to keep it from drooping under the extension arm of the stand.

If you have to keep removing it so others can use it, then it makes sense to not wrap it (or to add a second mic to the setup).

I've never had a dropped mic pop off the XLR connectors (I only use locking XLR cables).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-07-2019, 03:02 AM

From the performer's point of view I'd just like to say that I find this really annoying!

It makes it way harder to adjust the microphone during the set if you suddenly realise you're not standing the same way as you where during soundcheck or you're singing a bit louder and you need to back off the mic a bit but then it's in the wrong position.

And, yes, I know a lot of performers don't adjust mic stands properly - they just crank them whilst they're tight and end up ruining the grip - but I don't do that!

When I set up my own mic stands I use the cable clips that are on them and lave a little slack in the cable so it's easy to adjust the height/angle of the boom etc without the cable getting taut...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification