The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 PM

Im still intrigued by these guitars, glad to see people like them, it's that pour over finish in unsure about. What kind of finish is it anyway? Nitro? Poly?

Last edited by Wellington; 01-15-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
In still intrigued by these guitars, flag to see people like them, it's that pour over finish in unsure about. What kind of finish is it anyway? Nitro? Poly?
I'm not entirely sure but it doesn't seem to mark up very easily. It's not leaving fingerprints or smudges or pick marks very easily. Adam is super responsive so if you emailed him via the site I'm sure he'd answer any questions you'd have.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Sorry to gush here... but I got this guitar two days ago and I expected it to be my singer-songwriter guitar and it's blowing me away. I've been playing bluegrass with it all night. It's got plenty of bite to flatpick with. It is in no way, shape, or form a dull slope shoulder that you might expect. I have a D28 Authentic Aged and this guitar doesn't lose much at all to the AA. Sure the AA is slightly louder and has deeper bass but if I had to sell it tomorrow and the DF was my only guitar I would be OK with that.
This certainly isn't helping me resist the temptation to sell my HD-28 to fund a DF after being blown away by my new OG!!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds12888 View Post
This certainly isn't helping me resist the temptation to sell my HD-28 to fund a DF after being blown away by my new OG!!
I sold my HD28 two weeks ago and this DF is the result

But really I sold my HD28 because I have a D28AA and I didn't see a reason to keep it. I'm considering selling another guitar now to put in a custom order for a relic adirondack top DF.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I sold my HD28 two weeks ago and this DF is the result

But really I sold my HD28 because I have a D28AA and I didn't see a reason to keep it. I'm considering selling another guitar now to put in a custom order for a relic adirondack top DF.
Oh man ... I obviously want to avoid having multiple instruments which provide the same tone. If I got a DF, I think I'd consider an adirondack top and even rosewood b/s to differentiate it from my OG, but all that aside, how different are the OG and DF for you?
Old 01-15-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh man ... I obviously want to avoid having multiple instruments which provide the same tone. If I got a DF, I think I'd consider an adirondack top and even rosewood b/s to differentiate it from my OG, but all that aside, how different are the OG and DF for you?
I only have the DF. Someone else in here may own both.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I only have the DF. Someone else in here may own both.
Does anyone have 2 Iris guitars other than me? Not bragging, just curious.

I'm a little guitar guiy, so I have an OG and CH, but a DF is dreamy and if I had a big guitar, it would certainly be the one....though I'm starting to really appreciate the AB shape and size, too.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:46 PM

I ordered a DF from The North American Guitar, same one Carl Miner is playing in the demo video. Thanks to UncleJesse for making me spend more money, I mean answering all my questions.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
I ordered a DF from The North American Guitar, same one Carl Miner is playing in the demo video. Thanks to UncleJesse for making me spend more money, I mean answering all my questions.

thats just a beautiful guitar tone there, and looks extremely nice!
thanks for posting

d
Old 01-15-2021, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

well now all of you have "went and done it"!

i'm smitten with this, dang it.

cool hats and Tshirts also!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o9tbw00bfz4bhe9skkku.jpg (50.6 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4002.jpg (19.0 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg hat.jpg (20.1 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by darylcrisp; 01-15-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

The one Carl Miner was playing was supposed to be the one I was going to purchase but someone had put a deposit down on it so I moved on to another dealer. Then Matt snags it up! I think TNAG owes me a commission
Old 01-20-2021, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

I'm a newbie to the Iris brand. I bought fellow AGF members DF model a few month ago. I see he has a Smeck on order now. I love mine so much I can see another one in my future, probably a DF Smeck model as I love 12 fret guitars.

What would Red Spruce bring to the table as far as tone? I also see where they are gonna offer slotted head stocks which I love the look of. I can't say I love to string them but I do love the look.

Just joined the FB Owners club as well. I look forward to watching the brand grow. I always wanted to own a vintage guitar and may some day but Iris is offering people like me a chance at that look, feel & sound at very reasonable prices.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 02-06-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I have a custom DF build due to be finished up in March. I was told by my dealer (Northern Lights in NH- highly recommend) that Iris will substitute/upgrade the top, but won’t do substitutions for their standard mahogany back and sides.

My custom is a DF w/distressed burst, torrefied red spruce top, 1 3/4” nut, smaller Smeck-style pickguard, slotted bridge/solid ebony pins, and it will be shipped in a Hiscox case instead of a TKL. The top upgrade was straightforward- I went to Allied Lutherie’s website, picked out the one I want, bought it direct from the website, and Iris matched it with my DF build. Prices vary depending on the top, but mine will be well worth the +$170. Can’t wait! Also, I was told current custom build time is 6-8 months, unless you can slide into a a custom slot already reserved by a dealer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion