The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
This is true, but so what. Statements like that make all speculative discussion of sports moot, and that’s no fun!

I’ve long been of the opinion that Belichek made Brady better than Brady made Belichek. I don’t know that I was wrong, but this season has certainly convinced me I might be. Brady’s not close to his best, but he’s still REAL good. And Belichek doesn’t have much of a team to work with, but Cam’s a legit QB who can be great on occasion and having mediocre talent never got in BB’s way before. And, for this season, at least, Brady has made a lot more of his situation than Belichek has made of his. This season isn’t definitive, but it’s one strong data point in Brady’s favor.

-Ray
Based on intervening events, with all due respect to Brady, and without further comment, I’m back on the Belichek bus today. Big time.

-Ray
Old 01-12-2021, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
My respect for Bill just increased tenfold.
^^^^^this ++++
I am not much of a football fan, but agree completely Jim.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:36 AM

IMHO, If there is a debate, it won't be over until the fate of the super bowl is cast.

The debate from the local media 'round here is on winning the champion ship with out being on the same team.

Brady has yet to get to the last game, and then going out and winning it. He does that, in my book he wins.

I also have renewed respect for Bill after his statements yesterday, his compass on the matter is pointing true north.

I also have a ton of respect for Tom. He's playing well beyond his years and at a very high level.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

His decision doesn't surprise me at all. In all the years I've followed him as a coach, professionally it's been the team and players above all else, especially when it comes to individual awards and his own recognition. The respect he gets from his players is genuine and earned.
It's part of the success he's had as a coach, perhaps the most important one.
So, it's a very credible and predictable decision on his part, and one that will likely pay him dividends next season when he needs to rally a new team around him. (Hope so anyway!)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-12-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
^^^^^this ++++
I am not much of a football fan, but agree completely Jim.
I haven't followed the NFL lately (and previously a Steelers fan, so NE wasn't at the top of my list), but I respect Bill more today than I did previously.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I agree completely.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
The respect he gets from his players is genuine and earned.
It's part of the success he's had as a coach, perhaps the most important one.
So, it's a very credible and predictable decision on his part, and one that will likely pay him dividends next season when he needs to rally a new team around him. (Hope so anyway!)
Yup. It is as calculated as everything he does is. And that's not to diminish his decision or words. He draws a very distinct line between, on one side him (personal life and feelings), what he needs to do, and on the other side everything else having to do with his job. There is no overlap according to those willing to speak about working for him.

It's why his players respect him. He is predictable, and you know where he stands, therefore you understand YOUR standing. But let's never confuse respect for affection on the part of his players.

Compared to someone like Tom Coughlin who was every bit as "mercenary" but seemed to at times be arbitrarily punitive (look into his fining of players) and hold grudges.

It may also explain why those who have worked under Belichick don't seem to ever really make an impact. It's hard to remove the comradery and nostalgia to be able to trade a living legend like a Joe Montana or Brett Favre while they still have some play left in them to get where the team needs to get as quickly as possible.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:47 PM

I really hate that Belichick felt forced to give up something prestigious that he earned. Tough spot to be in.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

There are certainly so many variables and I agree that they made each other greater together than apart. That said and said here and now with tongue only slightly in cheek, I'd say yes, the debate is over. I went into this season wondering which team would do better. And as a New Englander I found myself watching and rooting for the Bucs way more than the Pats. Coaches are and can be great. But the guy(s) on the field are the ones getting it done. Simplified? Sure, but there it is.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:27 PM

My respect for Bill just decreased tenfold.
Yes, decreased.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Well this is an interesting and probably short lived thread. I am not a football fan of note, but I think a leader of Bill's caliber is more important to the game than even the best quarterback.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Big respect for Bill. Did the right thing at the right time.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 01-12-2021, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Locking this down. No politics, folks.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic