The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-11-2021, 09:33 AM

It would be worth an email to Emerald to ask the differences between the X7 and X10 necks, as I said my X7 v2 feels exactly like the profile of the X7 v3 on @outwestbound's sketch. If I get around to it I'll measure the neck on the X7 and the Strat, the latter is me favourite neck profile of all my guitars (even nicer than the Les Paul and post on here.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-11-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
The X10 has a 1 11/16 inch nut, compound radius. And from Emerald's website: " The effortless neck of an electric...a slim 24-fret neck." I have thought that in the future, of getting a short scale X10 neck on an X7 body.
KarenB,

Perhaps we could compare notes. I'm also interested in a neck more similar to an X10s. I chatted with Chloe before she left about two options; namely, 1) putting a 12 fret, 24" scale X10 neck on an X7 body or 2) putting the same neck just described in option 1, but use an X10 body. She said it would be about $500 cheaper to use the X10 body, based on the way they consider "up charges", but we didn't get into that much detail. My intent was to eliminate the humbucker and use an acoustic style bridge/saddle.

Essentially, I concluded that I couldn't get specific enough information about the neck (e.g., thickness, profile, width, fret spacing, etc.) from Emerald in order to be comfortable enough to order a $3,500 custom, wait half a year, to "hope" it's ok. I'm 5'3" with small hands. Sizing is critical. Perhaps Emerald will publish more precise product information in the future as they continue to mature as a company. For now, there are at least three entirely different "names" Emerald's own employees used to describe the X10's neck profile (smooth C, slim C, flat D, etc.), from my experience. It's almost comical. Names and "to my hand or eye" subjective comments would be irrelevant if Emerald would simply publish the technical specs, including cuts on the necks at say the 1st, 9th and 12th frets and show the profile.

To get a better understanding of their products, I bought a used X7. The neck is too wide for me to play comfortably, so the X7 is gone. Next up, I'm waiting for a 2019 X10 to arrive this Wednesday that I just bought off Reverb. When it arrives, I'll measure it, including the profile using a contouring tool that I have. I'll post that.

One issue with a shorter scale is the closer distance of the frets on the low end of the board, where I spend most of my time. If I reduce the X10 style neck to a 12 or 13 fret, I'd want to reduce the spacing of the frets correspondingly.

PM me if you'd like to compare notes.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I ordered my X10 with a 24.6" scale, making it a 13 fret to the body. The neck contour seems very similar to the Taylor T5 I have. 1 11/16" nut width, definitely thinner (depth and width) neck than the X7 I have.

Good luck with your incoming X10.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I ordered my X10 with a 24.6" scale, making it a 13 fret to the body. The neck contour seems very similar to the Taylor T5 I have. 1 11/16" nut width, definitely thinner (depth and width) neck than the X7 I have.

Good luck with your incoming X10.

Thanks Jim. If you have time, I would very much appreciate your measuring the "reach" on your 13 fret X10. If you can't, I understand. I've attached a picture illustrating the dimension, which is just from the front edge of the nut to the inner most point in the body's waist.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Dp7jtB7hhMMxnR8A

May I ask, was there a particular reason to select 24.6"?

Thanks,

John
Old 01-12-2021, 01:57 PM

I cannot answer about an X10, but my new custom X20 has a 24.6" scale length. The bridge is in exactly the same place for either one - the length is taken from the nut end, and the neck profile does not feel any different. For 24.6" the body join occurs at roughly fret ~13¼ instead of at fret 14 on a full 25.5" scale length. There is no issue reaching the upper frets because of the cutaway and bevels.

The options are stock at 25.5", or a custom scale at 24.9", 24.75" or 24.6". I chose 24.6" because that reduces the reach for some of my more intricate finger style pieces, making them a bit easier to play. (It worked great to make my X20-12 easier to play, so I duplicated it with a six string). You can always simulate a shorter scale by putting a capo on the first fret, which makes it about 24.2" scale length. Tune down to Eb and you have the same string tension as 24.6" too, about 7% lower tension versus 25.5" tuned E-e.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I cannot answer about an X10, but my new custom X20 has a 24.6" scale length. The bridge is in exactly the same place for either one - the length is taken from the nut end, and the neck profile does not feel any different. For 24.6" the body join occurs at roughly fret ~13¼ instead of at fret 14 on a full 25.5" scale length. There is no issue reaching the upper frets because of the cutaway and bevels.

The options are stock at 25.5", or a custom scale at 24.9", 24.75" or 24.6". I chose 24.6" because that reduces the reach for some of my more intricate finger style pieces, making them a bit easier to play. (It worked great to make my X20-12 easier to play, so I duplicated it with a six string). You can always simulate a shorter scale by putting a capo on the first fret, which makes it about 24.2" scale length. Tune down to Eb and you have the same string tension as 24.6" too, about 7% lower tension versus 25.5" tuned E-e.
Great information Earl! Thanks and good to hear from you! I did not know about the 24.9", 24.75" or 24.6" choices. I too will select the 24.6". I understand exactly what you mean about Emerald truncating the neck on the nut end. When I bought my Taylor 512 12 fret, I specifically didn't want a 12 fret where the guitar's body was simply extended to the 12th fret or the bridge moved back. My 512's bridge is set back to make the 24.75 scale work, but the issue is that the neck is shorter so my "reach" to the first fret is shorter. This is exactly what I want due to the more favorable wrist angle, so thanks for being so specific.

I had an X7 (man. date 8/19) for a few months. What a fine instrument! I really liked that sized body. Marvelous tone and super body design, especially since I play seated. But the board was too wide for my tiny paws to play comfortably, so the X7 is gone.

The X10 (level 1 with adjustable piezo saddle) I just got off Reverb will be here tomorrow. My goal is to use it almost exclusively as an acoustic, so we'll see how the piezo saddle and clean (no humbucker) sound board works with tone and volume. I got it so I'd have an example to go by in ordering a custom X10, after which I'll sell the older X10 on this forum or Reverb. I guess at that time, I'll sell my Martin OOO21 and Taylor 512 also and be mostly carbon.

Thanks again.

PS: I played an Emerald X20 12 string at a local music store the other day. I had never held a 12 string. How astonishing that sounded! Loved it. As an aside, my ear isn't tuned up enough as a new player to know if the X20 was tonally a little bright or not. Sounded wonderful to me.

Last edited by outwestbound; 01-12-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
Thanks Jim. If you have time, I would very much appreciate your measuring the "reach" on your 13 fret X10. If you can't, I understand. I've attached a picture illustrating the dimension, which is just from the front edge of the nut to the inner most point in the body's waist.

Thanks,

John
Hi John,

I will get that measurement for you, but it will be a few days - we are away from home right now. As far as the 24.6" scale: I was thinking something between the 25.5 I have on the X20 and the 24" on my X7. I have other guitars that are 24.75 or 24.875, and like that scale length. Alistair suggested 24.6" scale as something that works well for them, and I was good with that.

A couple other things I did on that X10: I was taken with a red X10 that Evan had made a few years ago... I went for the red carbon fiber weave, but had them do a bit more black shading on the edges and did a gloss top and their crystal ice finish on the back and sides. I like the contrast with that, as well as how nice the light texture of the crystal ice sits on my lap.

On my first strum with the X10, I expected it to be louder than my previous generation X7... they are close to the same. The X10 reminds me a bit of my Taylor Grand Concert, with that smaller size (compared to a Grand Auditorium) and 12-fret having a great string-to-string balance. Plug in the X10 and it gives you a nice variety of tones with the level 2 pickups. The neck feels more like my electrics, with the acoustic body providing that even acoustic tone.

It isn't the "Goldilocks" guitar between the X7 and X20 that I expected - it has its own tone and feel. The last extended trip we took (3 months last summer/early fall), and the X10 was the guitar that came along. It could certainly be a "one and only," but I am happy to have the variety.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:36 PM

Thanks Jim. This is helpful. I'll have my hands on the X10 tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post

Thanks,

John
Hi John,

As per your photo, the reach from the front of the nut to the inner most point on the waist is different from the top of the guitar and the bottom... 19.5" at the lower waist, 20.25 at the upper waist.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hi John,

As per your photo, the reach from the front of the nut to the inner most point on the waist is different from the top of the guitar and the bottom... 19.5" at the lower waist, 20.25 at the upper waist.

Hope that helps.
Hey Jim,

Yes, this is very helpful. Thanks for following up on this. I received a 2018 X10 I just got off Reverb and am playing the 25.5" scale. I do want a shorter scale and have several guitars scaled 24.84, 24.88, 24.75, 24.5 and 23.5 as examples. If Emerald does the 24.6" scale for a more cost effective price than a total from scratch custom, that sounds great to me.

I'm thinking that putting an acoustic bridge/saddle like the X7 on the X10 and not having the humbucker will improve the X10's acoustic voice, albeit the electric voice will suffer. I'm only interested in an acoustic voice and keeping the sound board as free to vibrate as possible.

Thanks again,

John

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber