The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-11-2021, 01:40 AM

Default Need Help with K&K pure mini with Takamine preamp!

Hello all and happy new year! I have an issue that has been racking my brain for 2 weeks now. I have a Takamine G series acoustic guitar that I like the way it plays and the way it sounds. I have higher end acoustics but this is my favorite for live playing. Like most of us I could not stand the sound of my piezo pickup. After countless hours trying to get the right sound and eq I decided to install K&K pure mini pick up under the bridge. The pure mini pick up is by far superior sounding to the existing Piezo. When I bought the pure mini I went all the way and bought the Trinity set up with the microphone, pure mini and the K&K preamp. I intended to just use the mic for recording but use the pure mini live.

Here is my dilemma. I had thought initially that I could just plug the K&K into my existing TK40D preamp on the guitar. It turns out when I plug my pure mini into my preamp the input signal is too low for my mic pre. So low the tuner just barely works. The preamp does work, the volume and eq's work great but the output signal at full volume is is lower than the pure mini just plugged direct into my board. But it sounds great through the TK40D preamp.

The solder is 100% and the cables are fine. It seems that the input signal settings of this TK40D preamp are designed for the transducers to be directly under the saddle. For those of you who are not familiar with the pure mini, the transducers are
1) under the saddle,
2) under the bridge
3) and inside under the body of the guitar

I was told I could swap out the preamp for a Takamine Ctp-3 Cooltube or a CT4-DX because they have a separate volume control and input for a second pickup.

My question is, does anyone know if the K&K pure mini will work with either of these or has anyone ever tried???? Or does any one know if either of these preamps work on the second pickup ONLY. Anywhere I read, the second input and volume is to BLEND in with the PIEZO. I have no intention of putting my Piezo back in ever. Hate it.

Hope I made sense. I know some may suggest I have the K&K preamp so why not use it? Simple, I have enough gear on stage and don't want another piece of equipment on the floor if I don't need it. I got that pre for the microphone when I record in the studio, not to schlep around live. I have great presets on my HX Stomp and just want to plug into that . Finito.

Thanks for your help
Gerry C

Last edited by gerryc123; 01-11-2021 at 01:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification