The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-27-2020, 09:22 PM
Pine Cone Pine Cone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Eastern Idaho
Posts: 62
Default Journey Black Friday Sale

FYI Journey Instruments is having a Black Friday sale. It started today and ends the 30th. Sale items are 20-40% off.

https://journeyinstruments.com/

Bstock and discontinued models are on sale, both carbon and wood, folding and non-folding, guitars and ukes. Most if not all come standard with a UST pickup.

I like my Overhead 660, especially since I put DR Sunbeams on it.

Their First Class Folding Spruce/Sapele looks interesting so I ordered one today.
__________________
Martin 000-17 SM
Martin HD-28M
Lots of loud banjos
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2020, 01:27 AM
AZLiberty AZLiberty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,531
Default

That website is a royal mess.

Discounts on B-stock items, but no link to them, and terrible search functionality.

I'm sure the wife would like a blem/B-stock nylon CF if I could find one.
__________________
Larrivee OM-03RE; O-01
Martin D-35; Guild F-212; Tacoma Roadking
Breedlove American Series C20/SR
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/album/space-freedom
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2020, 04:53 AM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level in CO
Posts: 4,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
That website is a royal mess.

Discounts on B-stock items, but no link to them, and terrible search functionality.

I'm sure the wife would like a blem/B-stock nylon CF if I could find one.
I totally agree with you! I was on there the other day and the usual icons for their social media links were not visible at the upper right of their home screen I was able to click around that area and go to their facebook page but something is up for sure. Apart from the navigation issues I think it can be sharpened overall from an aesthetic POV because that website does not represent the quality of their instruments in any way.

They do have one of the carbon nylon models on Reverb with free shipping (%20 markdown due to B-stock) and Journey Instruments is the retailer.

https://reverb.com/item/33513693-jou...-travel-guitar
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-29-2020, 07:30 AM
Coop47 Coop47 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I totally agree with you! I was on there the other day and the usual icons for their social media links were not visible at the upper right of their home screen I was able to click around that area and go to their facebook page but something is up for sure. Apart from the navigation issues I think it can be sharpened overall from an aesthetic POV because that website does not represent the quality of their instruments in any way.
Good to know it's not just me - I was on their site about a month ago and didn't remember it being such a mess.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-29-2020, 08:45 AM
Methos1979 Methos1979 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 5,350
Default

I just went on for giggles and I was able to navigate all the way to checkout with no problems including applying coupon codes for a significant savings. I didn't actually buy anything, just wanted to see if it would work. Granted, I only tried it on one guitar - the Road Trip CF model - but it did work. Of course being a B-stock item it should already be at least 30% off so not really any real savings. I bought a B-stock OF660 of Ted at LA Guitars a few years back and got 20% off that then.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2020, 02:05 PM
ac ac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,723
Default

I just stopped in today at a music store with a blue and a black satin finish Journey OF660 on the wall (2 Journeys). Same store I had visited 3 years ago. Back then, I found some quality issues in comparison to the OF660 I own, and was a bit sad to see them at the time.

Fast forward to today, three years later, and I can say that the two I saw were consistent with each other and very impressive! Fretwork looked good, felt good, and the fit and finish all over looked fine. My confidence is back!

I had really hoped they might also have at least one nylon in stock as I wanted to see one hands on, but I was told it would be a 3-4 month wait if I wanted to order one. I won't be in this area (Hong Kong) that long and am not totally decided yet, so declined. It's possible there is stock in the USA, but I don't know.

I'm not sure if I am ready to order anything "right now", but today's visit alleviated any past misgivings I had. It was a very good day.

BTW, the small "droplet" surface of the underside of the soundboard (someone once posted a photo) seems to be a consistent feature and intentional. Both of these felt the same inside.

I'm only guessing but maybe, since CF doesn't really need bracing, the soundboard design feature is there to alter the tone favorably. Bracing does this for wood guitars but since bracing isn't needed with the Journey, maybe this is another route to getting the tone they want most from these guitars--but just done in a different manner? (This is just my speculation.)

My original model OF660 is just smooth under the soundboard--but Journey has been gradually changing and improving the design in a number of ways since the time mine was purchased years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2020, 05:47 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level in CO
Posts: 4,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post

BTW, the small "droplet" surface of the underside of the soundboard (someone once posted a photo) seems to be a consistent feature and intentional. Both of these felt the same inside...

My original model OF660 is just smooth under the soundboard--but Journey has been gradually changing and improving the design in a number of ways since the time mine was purchased years ago.
It was me that posted the picture of the underside of the top on the latest version of the OF660. Those stalactite formations can only be there to enhance tone. I won't pretend to understand how, but I'm very pleased with my OF660 (later model with the soundhole placed closer to the edge of the upper bout). I have Santa Cruz Mid Tensions on it now which are nearing 3 months old and it sounds really good!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2020, 09:39 PM
Pine Cone Pine Cone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Eastern Idaho
Posts: 62
Default

I agree with steelvibe that the current OF 660 sounds very good. Mine got a couple of hours of playtime on Thanksgiving. For me DR Sunbeams balance the bass and treble strings nicely, a problem I had with other string choices. I haven’t tried any of the Santa Cruz strings on mine yet.

I also agree that the current website is difficult to order from. It was easier to use in the past.

On the other hand, I have had good responses to emails send to Journey, getting reply's from both of Journey’s founders at different times. They make some great guitars and seem to care about their customers.
__________________
Martin 000-17 SM
Martin HD-28M
Lots of loud banjos
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-29-2020, 10:08 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level in CO
Posts: 4,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
I agree with steelvibe that the current OF 660 sounds very good. Mine got a couple of hours of playtime on Thanksgiving. For me DR Sunbeams balance the bass and treble strings nicely, a problem I had with other string choices. I haven’t tried any of the Santa Cruz strings on mine yet.

I also agree that the current website is difficult to order from. It was easier to use in the past.

On the other hand, I have had good responses to emails send to Journey, getting reply's from both of Journey’s founders at different times. They make some great guitars and seem to care about their customers.
My top 3 after trying a bunch over the last couple years;

Santa Cruz Mid Tension
DR Sunbeams (medium)
D'addario XTPA1253
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-01-2020, 11:26 PM
Pine Cone Pine Cone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Eastern Idaho
Posts: 62
Default

Thanks for the string suggestions. I will give them a try.
__________________
Martin 000-17 SM
Martin HD-28M
Lots of loud banjos
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=