The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2021, 04:13 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar For a 10yo

Thanks for the add. Looking forward to some great discussions here. Sorry if my first post is a bit long winded.

By way of introduction, I have been primarily a bass player for about the past 40 years. I've always had at least one six string guitar (usually an acoustic) in the house to play around with writing and figuring out songs. The current one is a Takamine Legacy Acoustic-Electric.

My 10 year old daughter is in the fifth grade. In this area, students are offered the opportunity to rent an instrument from the 4th grade on and get group lessons in the second half of the school year. Last year, her only choice was the Viola and it didn't go over well. The lack of frets was painful on my ears as she struggled to hit the notes. She isn't tone deaf. I could play the notes on the guitar as she was playing a scale and she'd slide her finger up and down the string a smidge and nail it, but without that reference note...well, let's just say, I'd have to leave the room.

This year she had a choice of a few different instruments including woodwinds and percussion. After going through the list with her and showing her videos of people playing the various instruments, letting her think about it for a day or two. She finally came to me and said that she wanted the to play the guitar. The conversation went something like this:

Daughter: Dad, I've decided that I want to play the guitar.
Mom: That wasn't one of the choices.
Daughter: It's guitar or nothing.
Mom: But, that wasn't one of the choices.
Me: Well, I know everything is virtual right now and we don't want her going out for lessons, but I can teach her at least for the semester and then we can reevaluate in a few months.
Mom: (long pause) Ok, I guess so. Is that what you really want?
Daughter: Yes.
Me: Ok, I think a pink strat would be really cool.
Mom: WHAT? No no no no no no no. No no no no no. (Yes. 12 no's in a row. I counted them in my head. Pretty good rhythm actually. Wish I'd recorded it.)
Me: What's wrong?
Mom: She doesn't need an electric guitar.
Me: But...
Mom: No no no. (That's 15.) She can learn on your acoustic.

Needless to say, I lost the argument. So, we tried a couple of lessons on the guitar we have. The guitar is so big, she is having problems just getting her arms around the thing, let alone really uncomfortable wrist twists to fret notes (as well as having to hand the guitar back and forth every time I show her something) and although she did manage a few chords, it is obvious she needs a smaller guitar. I finally convinced Mom that she needs a guitar of her own.

For those of you have read this far, thank you so much. And now, to the point...

I have my eye on a few 3/4 scale acoustic/electric guitars in $300 to $400 range. Eventually, we will need a small practice amp. I would greatly appreciate any input you folks have regarding smaller acoustic guitars in that price range. Any recommendations?

And last, but not least, are there any intonation or tonal issues between a smaller scale guitar and a full scale acoustic that are going to drive my ears to bleed?

Peace and love in the New Year,
Randy
Old 01-06-2021, 04:17 PM

Taylor gs mini. Or a clone thereof. Thoman has one for 99 euros.

Never have a gs mini been more right.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Yamaha makes a great little parlor guitar. I don't know the model number but I've played it and it's far better than the baby Taylors or Little Martins'

Good luck to your daughter, have fun teaching her!
Old 01-06-2021, 04:46 PM

My suggestions are:
- Taylor BBT Big Baby (full 25.5" scale)
- Taylor GS Mini (short 23.5" scale)
- Taylor Academy 12 (24.8" scale)
- Yamaha FS800 (but not an FG dreadnought)

For the Taylor you can be assured of decent playability and intonation, which will avoid discouragement, and hurting YOUR ears. You might have to buy used to stay within your budget, which still probably won't cover the A12. I would also avoid electronics until she actually needs them. In the lower price tiers, every dollar that goes into a pickup system (or bling) is taken away from wood quality and fit/finish/setup. There are certainly other models that will come up, but these are the ones I am personally familiar with.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:53 PM

Check out the Ibanez AW50JROPN Artwood Series. My sister is learning on mine right now. Surprisingly, good sound.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:00 PM

HI Randy,

I would consider nylon strings for a youngster's first experience.

Check out the Cordoba Mini II.

Here is a link to the website with all of the specs and also includes a video of a young lady playing one:
https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/mini-ii-fmh/

The MSRP is $250, they go for $170 new. I did have to invest $75 for a set up to get the action adjusted.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2021, 05:12 PM

I second the Yamaha FS800.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:14 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar For a 10yo

My 8 year old had a tough time with the tension of steel strings on the 3/4 acoustic she was trying to use. If it hurts to play it might be a roadblock. We traded it in for a 1/2 scale Yamaha classical nylon string guitar and she is loving it. We also caved and got her a squire mini strat too. She’s a happy little strummer!
2015 Taylor GS-Mini e (Walnut/Sitka)
Old 01-06-2021, 05:28 PM

Well,,, you and I agree that it is easier to learn on an electric than an acoustic. Your wife has agreed to purchase a guitar.

I am looking at a Google search that Musicians Friend has a Squier Stratocaster with amp, gig bag, strap, and cable. All for $219.99.

I may order one.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-06-2021, 05:29 PM

I spent 40+ years teaching students your daughter's age...

A Taylor GS Mini is a lifetime guitar - even as she gets older/bigger it'll always see use as a travel/jam/songwriting instrument, and several of my students had them...

She doesn't need the acoustic-electric capability right now - let that be the next step as she progresses...

The entry-level all-mahogany GS Mini (IME second only to the flagship koa version in the tone department - and not by much) has a street price of $499 - and can be had for less if you go through one of the AGF sponsors...

If she ever loses interest, Dad has a really nice couch guitar - sounds like a win-win situation to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
...I am looking at a Google search that Musicians Friend has a Squier Stratocaster with amp, gig bag, strap, and cable. All for $219.99.

I may order one.
A couple of my students had these "Christmas Pack" setups...

Save your money...
Old 01-06-2021, 06:56 PM

Barbaric,

Congratulations on having a child interested in guitar, and applause to you for being so supportive. I purchased a guitar for my daughter of the same age last year after a long search. I know where you are coming from. I learned pretty quick after bringing home a full size guitar to my daughter. I knew right away looking at her with it that it was too big, even with her being fairly tall.

The best choice you are making is going with a smaller body. They are really comfortable and provide easier opportunity for more play. They can easily be taken around the house and played on the sofa, in bed, etc. Of course, any guitar recommendation comes with the caveat for a good set-up with nice beginner friendly string height. My recommendation is based more on guitar specifications than brand.

After watching my daughter progress quickly, I am convinced the size of the body, string action, and other specs allow her to play longer and more comfortably. She has also been able to learn techniques more quickly and hasn't been discouraged from experimenting with different styles. From this experience, I am now a believer that most beginners will benefit from smaller specifications on their first guitars unless they can palm a basketball, already have a preference for larger size aspects, or need big body sound output.

The guitar we purchased is a 12 fret 00ish size with a 1.69" nut width, 2 1/8" bridge string spacing, and 24.75" scale. The neck thickness is .775" at 1st fret and .868" at 9th, which is the thinnest I have presently measured. The E-e string spacing is really close at 1.378"(12/32), which makes getting those first "f" chords and barres much easier. Of course, this E-e spacing can get a little tight as one gets more advanced, but it can be widened up to 1.46"(15/32) down the road by having a tech/luthier replace the nut for a modest fee.

I recommend you look for a guitar close to these specs if you can't audition a bunch in person. The fun part is there are a lot of really nice sounding guitars in the entry categories these days. I was always impressed with the tone quality at the prices, and we didn't play any that wouldn't have been acceptable from a sound standpoint. We even let our daughter have a hand in the selection, which was a nice moment and may have increased her acceptance. Most importantly, she loves it and plays daily.

We selected an imported Breedlove Pursuit Concertina cedar top with laminate side/backs. The guitar is nicely finished/appointed, and I really enjoy listening to it being played. I never had to run from the room during those early days. Cedar can be really friendly on that note. They also have an all solid spruce top Organic Signature series and a less expensive Discovery laminate back/sides series. If including used, any of these could meet your criteria. I wish you guys all the best. You have some really special moments ahead.

Best,

Mac

Last edited by Macpage; 01-06-2021 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-06-2021, 07:11 PM

I would get her a Bourgeois 00-12 fret or a Huss & Dalton T00-14. If she doesn't take to it.............well you know what happens then.

I think the Taylor GS Mini is a winner here. I also think a similar sized Yamaha could work. However, since Mr DeRosa has actual experience with the Taylor and students of this age, I would be following his advice.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:30 PM

Yamaha makes a nice 3/4 size classical guitar. Excellent intonation.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-06-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaric View Post
Thanks for the add. Looking forward to some great discussions here. Sorry if my first post is a bit long winded.

By way of introduction, I have been primarily a bass player for about the past 40 years. I've always had at least one six string guitar (usually an acoustic) in the house to play around with writing and figuring out songs. The current one is a Takamine Legacy Acoustic-Electric.

My 10 year old daughter is in the fifth grade. In this area, students are offered the opportunity to rent an instrument from the 4th grade on and get group lessons in the second half of the school year. Last year, her only choice was the Viola and it didn't go over well. The lack of frets was painful on my ears as she struggled to hit the notes. She isn't tone deaf. I could play the notes on the guitar as she was playing a scale and she'd slide her finger up and down the string a smidge and nail it, but without that reference note...well, let's just say, I'd have to leave the room.

This year she had a choice of a few different instruments including woodwinds and percussion. After going through the list with her and showing her videos of people playing the various instruments, letting her think about it for a day or two. She finally came to me and said that she wanted the to play the guitar. The conversation went something like this:

Daughter: Dad, I've decided that I want to play the guitar.
Mom: That wasn't one of the choices.
Daughter: It's guitar or nothing.
Mom: But, that wasn't one of the choices.
Me: Well, I know everything is virtual right now and we don't want her going out for lessons, but I can teach her at least for the semester and then we can reevaluate in a few months.
Mom: (long pause) Ok, I guess so. Is that what you really want?
Daughter: Yes.
Me: Ok, I think a pink strat would be really cool.
Mom: WHAT? No no no no no no no. No no no no no. (Yes. 12 no's in a row. I counted them in my head. Pretty good rhythm actually. Wish I'd recorded it.)
Me: What's wrong?
Mom: She doesn't need an electric guitar.
Me: But...
Mom: No no no. (That's 15.) She can learn on your acoustic.

Needless to say, I lost the argument. So, we tried a couple of lessons on the guitar we have. The guitar is so big, she is having problems just getting her arms around the thing, let alone really uncomfortable wrist twists to fret notes (as well as having to hand the guitar back and forth every time I show her something) and although she did manage a few chords, it is obvious she needs a smaller guitar. I finally convinced Mom that she needs a guitar of her own.

For those of you have read this far, thank you so much. And now, to the point...

I have my eye on a few 3/4 scale acoustic/electric guitars in $300 to $400 range. Eventually, we will need a small practice amp. I would greatly appreciate any input you folks have regarding smaller acoustic guitars in that price range. Any recommendations?

And last, but not least, are there any intonation or tonal issues between a smaller scale guitar and a full scale acoustic that are going to drive my ears to bleed?

Peace and love in the New Year,
Randy
A Randy here, too.

Think about dropping a whole $100 on A Orangewood Dana mahogany. A 23-1/2" scale acoustic in a smaller body form.

https://orangewoodguitars.com/collec...ny-mini-guitar

That's throwaway money, and is a good way to testing the waters of interest. You can move on to an acoustic - electric or other directions later. You don't even have to leave the house, a good idea right now.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:15 PM

You specifically mentioned a 3/4 sized guitar and many of the suggestions seem to be fore parlor or larger guitars. I’m not sure that’s what your after. I bought my niece a 3/4 size guitar at age 8, she’s now 10 and I’ve been wanting to get her a guitar like an FS 800 Yamaha or a folk sized Alvarez but she continues to resist and says she doesn’t want a bigger one yet. She’s also larger than most girls her age.
I played a number of guitars and ended up buying her a Luna 3/4 size guitar. While below your budget I thought Luna really nailed these little guitars. The only one I thought sounded better was the GS mini Taylor but it was double the price. The 3/4 size Yamaha’s seemed like toys to me, wouldn’t stay tuned, sounded tinny but ymmv.
I wonder if a 3/4 size may be a two year guitar before she’s ready for a larger guitar.
Check out these Lunas if you desire. They make several 3/4 size models and I bought one of there higher end models but still modestly priced at about $200 and then added a hard case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion