The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 02:53 PM

Default Trigger Finger Follies

My outbreak of trigger finger has kept me from playing for over a week. It lessens once in a while but unpredictably so I can't plant practice. Can't see the ortho doctor till Aug. 20th.

Worried I would lose my memorization and muscle memory, I tried icing it today and it did loosen up enough to do a run through. Actually played way better than I expected after so long a layoff.

Guess I'll just keep the icepack handy till I can get to the doctor for the cortisone shot.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
My outbreak of trigger finger has kept me from playing for over a week. It lessens once in a while but unpredictably so I can't plant practice. Can't see the ortho doctor till Aug. 20th.

Worried I would lose my memorization and muscle memory, I tried icing it today and it did loosen up enough to do a run through. Actually played way better than I expected after so long a layoff.

Guess I'll just keep the icepack handy till I can get to the doctor for the cortisone shot.

You won't lose anything by being off a couple weeks. Don't worry about that. When you get to see the doc ask him also about Voltaren gel. I went to the doc 3 days ago and while my condition isn't nearly as bad as yours the stuff worked almost immediately and has reduced the need for my diet of Naproxen.

I originally was given some Voltaren for my knee which didn't really work on the knee, but the hand has much less mass for the stuff to be absorbed into.

Good luck with your appointment. Getting old isn't for sissies.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-21-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Y

I originally was given some Voltaren for my knee which didn't really work on the knee, but the hand has much less mass for the stuff to be absorbed into.

Good luck with your appointment. Getting old isn't for sissies.
Yep, always something breaking, falling apart. disintegrating.

But you have to keep on plugging along.

Trigger finger on my left thumb came back came back 1 year after a cortisone shot. The Ortho felt that any further shot would have a less than 40% chance of working and even if it did, it probably wouldn't last as long as the last one. So surgery is set for Aug 2. Shouldn't be too bad - it will done under a local and I was told I could drive to and from the surgery.

HHP - best of luck with your appointment and hope you recover quickly and thoroughly!
Old 07-21-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshrager View Post
Yep, always something breaking, falling apart. disintegrating.

But you have to keep on plugging along.

Trigger finger on my left thumb came back came back 1 year after a cortisone shot. The Ortho felt that any further shot would have a less than 40% chance of working and even if it did, it probably wouldn't last as long as the last one. So surgery is set for Aug 2. Shouldn't be too bad - it will done under a local and I was told I could drive to and from the surgery.

HHP - best of luck with your appointment and hope you recover quickly and thoroughly!
Had the surgery few years ago on my right hand. Also did the local. The shots hurt worse than the surgery. Had a prescription for pain pills and didn't even need those. Two or three shots should give me a year's buffer on the surgery but I expect I'll need it eventually.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Had the surgery few years ago on my right hand. Also did the local. The shots hurt worse than the surgery. Had a prescription for pain pills and didn't even need those. Two or three shots should give me a year's buffer on the surgery but I expect I'll need it eventually.
I agree on the shot being worse than the surgery, and only helped for a few months. I took an Aleve before I went to bed the night after surgery, more as a preventative than for any real pain. Went shopping the next day. Basically told I could start playing when, and as much, as I felt like. Total success. Wouldn't hesitate to have it again.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 07-21-2018, 07:30 PM

Cortisone shots were only a temporary fix for me, as well. Surgery fixed my L ring finger several years ago, and L middle finger 8 weeks ago. Should have opted for surgery rather than the last cortisone shot, though, as it didn't help at all, and by the time surgery could be done I could hardley move that finger at all, and NSAIDs and ice hardly helped.

Middle finger is still stiff first thing in the morning, loosens up but aches a bit after playing 1-2 hrs. Dr. said it'll take another 6-8 weeks, to work it but not overdo it.

Should have had the surgery instead of that last shot.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion