The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2022, 12:18 AM

Default Need Shelf or Something for Mixer/Alesis SR16

Hey guys,
I need to "clean up" my Solo set-up. Just scored 5 NIGHTS a week in Southwest Florida (real good money), and my current set up looks kinda crappy. What I need is some sort of a permanent (want to keep everything in place) shelf or something to put my Alesis SR16 and my tiny Yamaha MGO6X Mixer. I have had them on a collapsible Peak Music Stand, but with that there are too many AC/Speaker, etc cables all over the place. The shelf that I need or want has to be able to be close enough for me to work the SR16.
I run everything though my JBL EON 12''.
Thank you very much
Tommy
Old 05-12-2022, 09:58 AM

A guy I gig with mounted his mixer, harmonizer, and some other bits onto a largish pedal board with handles (and a case). He uses a subwoofer with a flat top, sits the pedal board on that so he can tweak the mixer and other things during the set. In your case you could either put it on the ground next to you (though then you have to bend over to tweak things) or bring a small collapsible stock or table. I bring a couple of stools, one for me to sit on, one of the amp to sit on, then the pa speaker goes on a short/light stand.

This is another thing I find music stands useful for - they can hold stuff beyond an iPad. I have been gigging a Peak Designs folding stand for 10+ years, love that thing.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-12-2022, 11:14 AM

Congratulations on the gig. Is this the first time you have gotten a contract like that? Must be exciting.

If the Peak music stand still works for the hardware, perhaps freezing the layout and making the cables neater would make things look more professional and polished.

What I am suggesting is to lay out the cables, neatly coiling any excess lengths and using black gaffer's tape (or duct or electrician's tape) to, essentially, make your own custom-length "snake".

You could even put the coiled cables in a box (or cloth bag) with only the lengths needed to make connections sticking out of a couple of access holes.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:12 PM

Sometimes if I need to, I use my Yamaha MG10XU mixer for which there is an adapter that fits on a nice gator stand.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-speaker-stand

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This plus wireless adapters for my microphone and guitars into the mixer into my batter-powered S1.
Easy peasy.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-12-2022, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Don't know how big the Alesis is, but I'm using something that may work for you.

I have a Bose L1 Model II w/ B1 sub unit, and I run my guitars a voice through one of the small Bose T1 mixer/tone generator units. Only one line runs from the T1 to the base unit of the PA, both sending signal and getting AC.

I got a hold of small tray/shelf that affixes to my mic stand and holds the T1 mixer easily; I had a bunch of custom cables made (6') for both 1/4" plugs and XLR. When I'm set up, the short cables are plenty long enough, as I sit while playing and singing. With only one cable running to the PA, there's really a lot less clutter on the stage floor... makes for a very clean set-up!

Hope this helps!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-12-2022, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post

If the Peak music stand still works for the hardware, perhaps freezing the layout and making the cables neater would make things look more professional and polished.

What I am suggesting is to lay out the cables, neatly coiling any excess lengths and using black gaffer's tape (or duct or electrician's tape) to, essentially, make your own custom-length "snake"....
That's what I was thinking. My first thought was to start by using the mic-stand adapter Rokdog links to (though I don't get the Gator speaker stand setup, obviously it works for him), but then what do you do with the SR16 other than either another little stand or a tablet holder mount flying to the side of the mic stand, which wouldn't look neater anyway... I like the idea of just neatening up the cables.

Super congrats on the gig!
Old 05-12-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
...using black gaffer's tape (or duct or electrician's tape) to, essentially, make your own custom-length "snake".
Strongly suggest using plastic spiral wrap instead of tape, less messy over time and coils nicely itself when fitted.

There is a similar one which, rather than spiralling round, opens up on one side then closes around the cables, can be "zipped" in and out pretty instantly.

Also, plastic cable wrap can be cable tied to a slotted shelf or other anchor point.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
That's what I was thinking. My first thought was to start by using the mic-stand adapter Rokdog links to (though I don't get the Gator speaker stand setup, obviously it works for him), but then what do you do with the SR16 other than either another little stand or a tablet holder mount flying to the side of the mic stand, which wouldn't look neater anyway... I like the idea of just neatening up the cables.

Super congrats on the gig!
The stand is adjustable and you mount the the mixer to the adapter which is attached to the stand. The adapter is very specific to the Yamaha mixer. You then place the mixer with attached adapter atop the stand and you can adjust the stand to the desired height.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 05-12-2022 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
The stand is adjustable and you mount the the mixer to the adapter which is attached to the stand. The adapter is very specific to the Yamaha mixer. You then place the mixer with attached adapter atop the stand and you can adjust the stand to the desired height.
Understood, I have two of those Yamaha mixers and the bracket and have happily used it. My Yamaha bracket screws into the top of a standard mic stand (and the bottom of the mixer of course), rather than sitting on top of a speaker pole, which is what I think I'm looking at in your Gator link.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:28 PM

You’re correct, the microphone stand is what I use for the mixer. The Gator stand is what I use for my S1.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-12-2022, 06:13 PM

Default Pedal board option

Maybe try putting all on a pedal board. That's what I did with mine. I have everything battery operated with the a rechargeable battery connected to the power supply. The mixer is already battery powered. The mic stand is also mounted on this board. Makes for a very solid mic stand that never falls over.
(my first picture post so I am not sure how it might turn out).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220512_200633.jpg (25.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-12-2022, 06:58 PM

Don't forget that Yamaha bracket will also fit on one of these:

...so that could be on your own mic stand with one of these holding your sr16 on a separate stand (no boom):

My vote would be for the bottom/right setup, can be tipped back to almost horizontal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification