The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-29-2022, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default John Martyn "May You Never."

I sure would like to learn to play this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi_wxypeGc

I've briefly looked at some tutorials. They capture some of Johns' gorgeous playing, but seem to miss some of the delicate intricacies.

I suppose learning from a tutorial is a start, and then I can go in and really figure out what is missing or changed.

Does anyone here play this song?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-29-2022, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

How nice to see John Martyn show up here. I’ve long loved this song but have never tried learning it, so not much help for your question.

His playing is subtle and idiosyncratic in ways I can see would be hard to duplicate. Good luck with the quest
Old 04-29-2022, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks CopyCat.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-29-2022, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

I see Jerry’s Guitar Bar has a lesson on it. It may get you closer.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

I used to. Hammer ons and pull offs sort of make his style. He had a very percussive attack. Drop D tuning.

Beautiful playing on his early albums. Sad the way he went.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-29-2022, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Thanks again, copyCat.

Jim, Thanks for the tip. I must have been living under a rock. This is the first time, I've heard John Martyns' playing and singing.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:15 PM

Presumably you have the music from the jm site https://johnmartyn.com/wp-content/up...-Never-Tab.pdf

Went through a period in which I learned a good few of his songs. Loved the combo of his singing and playing.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

A much later performance here, with Kathy Mattea, Jerry Douglas, and Danny Thompson, from the ‘Transatlantic Sessions’ series of BBC TV programmes. I never tire of seeing everyone’s obvious enjoyment during the song, and John’s show of joy at the end…RIP, great man.

https://youtu.be/sBPTuAl2Qyk

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-30-2022, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Great song, good luck with it, Karen!
Old 04-30-2022, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

…I learned to play May You Never along with most of the Solid Air album 49 years ago….it was a huge influence on my playing at the time….I’ve kept a bunch of John Martyn songs in my repertoire all these years….the technique of pulling the strings rather than strumming across them is the key to getting the percussive sound that makes the late great John Martyns style so unique….that and his smoky sweet vocals…
Old 04-30-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Ceabeceabe for the link to the notation and tab for "may you never." This along with listening at a slowed down tempo will help. I have Logic software, and I can slow it down w/o changing the key.

JayBee..Really nice rendition of "May You Never" from the transatlantic sessions. It's interesting watching Kathy follow along with John's unique vocal phrasing. Sometimes the 2 diverge, and it still works. Perhaps it was planned that way. But I imagine that John doesn't sing this song twice in exactly the same way.

Thanks Jim!

Thanks J Patrick. Impressive that you learned most of an Album!

Recommendations, please, for more listening enjoyment of John's music.
Karen

Last edited by KarenB; 04-30-2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
A much later performance here, with Kathy Mattea, Jerry Douglas, and Danny Thompson, from the ‘Transatlantic Sessions’ series of BBC TV programmes. I never tire of seeing everyone’s obvious enjoyment during the song, and John’s show of joy at the end…RIP, great man.

https://youtu.be/sBPTuAl2Qyk
That’s glorious. Thanks for sharing the link. Just glorious.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-30-2022, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
Presumably you have the music from the jm site https://johnmartyn.com/wp-content/up...-Never-Tab.pdf

Went through a period in which I learned a good few of his songs. Loved the combo of his singing and playing.
Caebecaeabe--

Wish I could read the (word) notes that are mentioned in measure 2. But I'm not seeing them in this pdf.

I imagine that the "H" stands for hammer on, and I see P O which must be pull off.

I do not know what these symbols that are in-between the treble and bass clef mean.
Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 11.22.45 PM.png

If you know, or anyone else reading this, knows what those symbols are meant to indicate, please let me know. They are the same symbols you see when bowing a cello. In cello notation, the first symbol means "down bow", and the second symbol means "up bow." And I know that he isn't using a bow when playing this guitar part. (I played cello when I was 10 & 11...I can't believe I dredged this info up from my memory!)

Somehow I managed to put a green grinning face at the top of this reply. I can't find a way to delete it.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I have always loved this song from John Martyn. This tutorial below, I think, does a pretty good job of teaching how to play the song:

I was not aware of the PDF transcription of the song from John Martyn's website. https://johnmartyn.com/wp-content/up...-Never-Tab.pdf

That is pretty cool!

- Glenn
Old 05-01-2022, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Glenn. Copycat also mentioned this one.
Interesting that the person that's teaching chose to put the capo on the 2nd fret, so the song is being heard in the Key of E. On the original youtube video I posted, John is playing with the capo on the 4th fret which brought the song into the key of F# or Gb.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write