The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-27-2022, 10:33 PM

Scott & Joe ,

I’ve decided to join the club. I went out and got the S1, Amazon’d the Joyo wireless for mics and a lekato for the guitar. All has arrived and I plan on using the S1 this weekend for a brewery event. My mixer is overkill, an old Mackie cr1604, but it works. I need to find something more portable. Any advice on setup to avoid feedback? After watching your YouTube videos, the plan is to put it on a pole and play on the sides or out in front. We are going to be a combo for this event.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whs79 View Post
Scott & Joe ,

I’ve decided to join the club. I went out and got the S1, Amazon’d the Joyo wireless for mics and a lekato for the guitar. All has arrived and I plan on using the S1 this weekend for a brewery event. My mixer is overkill, an old Mackie cr1604, but it works. I need to find something more portable. Any advice on setup to avoid feedback? After watching your YouTube videos, the plan is to put it on a pole and play on the sides or out in front. We are going to be a combo for this event.
Hi William. For me, I haven't had any issues with feedback with the S1 up on a pole behind me about 3 feet to the left. You should be able to put behind you and in between the combo. Just no mic directly in straight line with S1.

As far as wireless, I can't help there, that's Scott's expertise.

Hope this helps and have a good show.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-28-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Just no mic directly in straight line with S1.
Yep, otherwise, oh-oh!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-28-2022, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Scott & Joe ,

We had very little feedback issues with the S1, especially when placed up on a pole. We have run it directly behind and between us as well as off to the one side or another. A lot depends on just how loud you need to run it. At low volumes, directly behind and between is nice because you hear your tone perfectly. But if you need it louder then it can quickly become too loud for you when directly behind and you'll want to move it off to one side or the other.

From the side you start to lose the highs a bit depending on how even or in front of you the speaker is. If you're playing very loud then you'll want/need to have it more out front. You'll still hear it but it will sound muffled as you lose the highs. If you are playing loud and with the speaker behind you at all, you can get some guitar feedback but it is very position dependent and moving yourself just a couple feet in any direction quickly changes that dynamic.

Note that this usually only happens indoors in smaller rooms. So if you're outside or in a larger room you likely won't have an issue. With our dual mic wireless I do make sure to have them on different channels. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
My mixer is overkill, an old Mackie cr1604, but it works.
Here's a mixer that might be of interest:
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 04-30-2022, 02:06 PM

I ordered this to give it a shot with my S1. I also wouldn’t mind have a bit more headroom for my vocal mic. I did order it from Shure directly. Same price, faster shipping then Amazon. Just in case there’s anyone like me trying to order less from Amazon

Thx for the suggestion!
Old 04-30-2022, 03:54 PM

I'm glad I stopped by, because it sounds like this product will totally solve my problem. Could you verify?

Basically, I use the S1 pro for classical guitar gigs--weddings and stuff. Occasionally, someone wants to use a mic for speeches and such, but when I plug in the SM57, the output is very weak. If I used this A85F, would that significantly boost the SM57's output, such that normal speaking into the mic would be loud enough to carry to, say 50-100 quiet guests?

Also, I realize that I have this: Radioshack 274-016C. Is this the same thing? https://reverb.com/item/27126266-rad...ce-transformer

Last edited by MigueldeMaria; 04-30-2022 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:33 PM

Well, the Shure A85F will give you 21db’s of gain and that’s a lot.
The room itself would have a lot to do with it, but it should be sufficient unless the distance from the front to the back is exceptionally deep.
Anyway, for $20 it’s well worth a try.
As far as the Radio Shack device, it looks like it’s the same thing but I couldn’t tell you how much gain it would give you.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-30-2022, 04:34 PM

Yes, it looks it provides the same function. Try it out to see if it does what you need. _RP
Old 05-01-2022, 08:49 AM

50+ people in and out. The S1 worked. The set up was super quick. I could hear myself. We had a lot more power to use if we tackled some feedback.

Setup was as follows:

Player1: Martin x series with Fishman ust > Fishman preamp>Mackie CR1604
SM58 > Mackie CR1604

Player 2 (me): Martin DRS1 w Fishman sonitone / Collings MT > Digitech Vocalist Live 4 > Mackie cr1604
SM58 > Digitech Vocalist Live 4 > Mackie cr1604

1604 into S1 input 1.

I adjusted the sensitivity knob to even out the SM58 volume. You get up to 50db of gain which was more than enough.

Issue: did experience some feedback issues when pushing the volume on setup. Bose was on 5 volume. As I went up on the Mackie volume fader it started. I’ll have to test more on this. We were positioned like: S1 - P2 - P1. The S1 was slightly out in front of us.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Great that it worked out for you William!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-01-2022, 10:58 AM

I tested it out yesterday--it gave me an audible improvement (maybe even enough), but I have no way of gauging whether it was 20 dB or not.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:55 AM

That’s great Miguel!
Hey, if it’s a lot louder, the number of dB’s isn’t important.
You may have saved yourself 20 bucks.
If it isn’t enough you still have an inexpensive option.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-01-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldeMaria View Post
I'm glad I stopped by, because it sounds like this product will totally solve my problem. Could you verify?

Basically, I use the S1 pro for classical guitar gigs--weddings and stuff. Occasionally, someone wants to use a mic for speeches and such, but when I plug in the SM57, the output is very weak. If I used this A85F, would that significantly boost the SM57's output, such that normal speaking into the mic would be loud enough to carry to, say 50-100 quiet guests?

Also, I realize that I have this: Radioshack 274-016C. Is this the same thing? https://reverb.com/item/27126266-rad...ce-transformer

I remember a few years ago, when RadioShacks were everywhere, that I got two of their house banded transformers, one transforming from low to hi-Z, the other transforming from hi-Z back to balanced. I had done this as a test to see if it really was worth the very high difference in price between the Jensen transformers in the Radial DI boxes that I had been using, and the Radio Shack inline transformers that were a fraction of the price.

I plugged them in together to see how much damage would be inflicted on the audio signal. It was atrocious, so I stuck with the Radial DIs.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I remember a few years ago, when RadioShacks were everywhere, that I got two of their house banded transformers, one transforming from low to hi-Z, the other transforming from hi-Z back to balanced. I had done this as a test to see if it really was worth the very high difference in price between the Jensen transformers in the Radial DI boxes that I had been using, and the Radio Shack inline transformers that were a fraction of the price.

I plugged them in together to see how much damage would be inflicted on the audio signal. It was atrocious, so I stuck with the Radial DIs.
My quick test at a soundcheck before a wedding didn't reveal anything that I noticed. But then, I'm not sure I would notice with an S1--its processing seems fairly audible and synthetic to me in any case.

Perhaps I can test the transformer next to my Whirlwind IMP 2. But actually I think it only goes line > mic and not the other way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification