Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
Do audiobooks count as “reading”?
I've wondered about that myself.

First, I'll just say that reading is good for (among other things) the connection between eyes and brain, especially as we age. That's why I still read something every day.

But from the perspective of being actively retired with countless hobbies and working for decades before that, I've not taken the time this century to read like I used to. At the end of a busy day, I manage maybe 4-5 pages before nodding off - every night.

Meanwhile, I stumbled across audiobooks (free loans from the library on the free Overdrive app - iPhone and android). At work, at home, on the road, mowing the lawn, welding art, landscaping, washing the car, splitting wood, painting the house, walking, standing in a line, in the dentist's chair... pretty much anywhere... I've plowed through 600+ audiobooks in 6 years.

Some arduous tomes, too. A dozen classics. Those "must reads" that I just never managed to start/finish before.

So do audiobooks really count as "reading?" I don't care. I just like them a lot, every single day.

Last edited by tinnitus; 12-28-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:40 AM

I'm reading, The Children Of Men, by, P.D. James- it's interesting- all the men on earth have become sterile- the story is set in England with a lot of back story on the main character and his connection to the current rulers of England when this is taking place- humans are going extinct because of the sterility- and it can't be determined why- I'm a little over half way through it and it does make one think-
Old 12-29-2021, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Just finished Ken Follett's latest novel, "Never". Worthwhile read. A bit disjointed at points, but personally I find it easy to get lost in his work and it all works out.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 12-29-2021, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm finishing up a biography of Moe Norman, a name that will be familiar to golf fans of a certain age.

It is a bit repetitive, but I enjoyed learning about his life, which had elements of tragedy and triumph. He was just about the exact opposite of the stereotype of a golfer--just check out the "tee" in the pic below!

https://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Great...a-618008898207
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 517krJBpJ6L._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (25.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 12-29-2021, 05:21 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Still on furlough from Volume Five of Winston Churchill's The Second World War.

On recommendations here on the AGF, I've started on Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully. This will be probably the eighteenth or nineteenth book on Midway I've read. While studying history I play the "acknowledgements" and "footnotes" game, chasing back up the trail of the works that noted authors have relied upon. I was gratified to see Walter Lord's work and Cressman/Ewing's A Glorious Page in Our History both of which were based upon extensive individual interviews, referred to with approbation by the current authors. This is a HUGE work that takes into account Japanese accounts that were largely unavailable die to having never been translated. The book's introduction sets the bar EXTREMELY high for this account. We'll see if it lives up to its own claims. My last two volumes on the subject, Robert Mrazek's A Dawn Like Thunder and Dusty Kleiss' Never Call Me a Hero both have brought new factors to my attention that have challenged the popular narrative on the U.S. side. This one promises to knock down the legends on the Japanese side. Go team! Let's hope it happens.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-29-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
I'm reading, The Children Of Men, by, P.D. James- it's interesting- all the men on earth have become sterile- the story is set in England with a lot of back story on the main character and his connection to the current rulers of England when this is taking place- humans are going extinct because of the sterility- and it can't be determined why- I'm a little over half way through it and it does make one think-
This was made into a fairly decent movie with Michael Caine.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

My wife and I read out loud every day to each other from a common book. We had recently finished Dickens's "Great Expectations," then we took a break and read something lighter, John Grisham's "The Street Lawyer," and now we have gone back to Dickens and are really enjoying reading "Bleak House" together.

On the side, I am continuing to read "Moby Dick" on my Kindle and at bed time I am reading Ron Chernow's "Washington, A Life," which is fascinating. For Christmas my wife gave me a 3rd Ron Chernow book, "Hamilton." I have already read his book on Grant. I have been enjoying "Washington" so much that I bought a copy and sent it to my older brother in Michigan. I really like Chernow's approach to history, though his books are 1000-page marathons.

- Glenn
Old 12-30-2021, 04:55 PM
AGF Administrator

Just started The Stranger in the Lifeboat by Mitch Albom.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Default What Are You Reading

Christmas always brings a pile of new books for me. Some I’ve asked for, and, often, some out of left field.

This year brought me a fresh copy of Lonesome Dove, which I’d asked for. I read it years ago, and loved it then; it was time to reacquaint myself. Along with that, came Zane Grey’s classic, Riders of the Purple Sage. My wife took a hint from Lonesome Dove, and took a flyer on Riders. Plus, she had an uncle way back when, who loved Grey’s work.

I’ve just finished Riders. It was a terrific read, once I got past the somewhat florid style, and my English brain trying to provide an appropriate accent to all the dialog. I really enjoyed it - a great story, well told, and an ending that left things hanging.

Any other Zane Grey fans here who could recommend any of his other books?

IMG_1895.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 01-09-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Most Zane Grey novels follow a common sort of pattern, if you like one you will probably like a lot of them. My favorites are, The Lone Star Ranger, Rouge River Feud and The Man of the Forest. When I was about 12 or so my Dad bought a large hardcover set of Zane Grey and I spent as much time as I could reading one after another out in our front porch. A Beatle 45 spinning over and over along with Zane Grey, I still think Zane Grey when Get Back plays.

Last edited by offkey; 01-09-2022 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Christmas always brings a pile of new books for me. Some I’ve asked for, and, often, some out of left field.

This year brought me a fresh copy of Lonesome Dove, which I’d asked for. I read it years ago, and loved it then; it was time to reacquaint myself. Along with that, came Zane Grey’s classic, Riders of the Purple Sage. My wife took a hint from Lonesome Dove, and took a flyer on Riders. Plus, she had an uncle way back when, who love Grey’s work.

I’ve just finished Riders. It was a terrific read, once I got past the somewhat florid style, and my English brain trying to provide an appropriate accent to all the dialog. I really enjoyed it - a great story, well told, and an ending that left things hanging.

Attachment 67891
I had to think about it to make sure I had the correct title but another favorite of mine is, Under The Tonto Rim.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:29 AM

Just started Donna Leon's Beastly Things, the 21st in her Commissario Guido Brunetti series. One of my favorite series of novels.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-09-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post

This year brought me a fresh copy of Lonesome Dove, which I’d asked for. I read it years ago, and loved it then; it was time to reacquaint myself. Along with that, came Zane Grey’s classic, Riders of the Purple Sage. My wife took a hint from Lonesome Dove, and took a flyer on Riders. Plus, she had an uncle way back when, who love Grey’s work.

Attachment 67891
I've read the two books you mention, I rank Lonesome Dove in the top 3 of all books I've read. I would recommend Alfred Bertram Guthrie: The Big Sky and The Way West.
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-09-2022, 10:29 AM

Just finished "Heaven and Hell", Don Felder's book about his early life and life as The Eagles lead guitarist.

Fantastic read! Highly recommended.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
Most Zane Grey novels follow a common sort of pattern, if you like one you will probably like a lot of them. My favorites are, The Lone Star Ranger, Rouge River Feud and The Man of the Forest. When I was about 12 or so my Dad bought a large hardcover set of Zane Grey and I spent as much time as I could reading one after another out in our front porch. A Beatle 45 spinning over and over along with Zane Grey, I still think Zane Grey when Get Back plays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
I had to think about it to make sure I had the correct title but another favorite of mine is, Under The Tonto Rim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
I've read the two books you mention, I rank Lonesome Dove in the top 3 of all books I've read. I would recommend Alfred Bertram Guthrie: The Big Sky and The Way West.
Thanks for all the recommendations - I look forward to checking some of them out.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic