The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-10-2020, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing that response. Not entirely reassuring!

On the one hand, I've seen soloists sitting in front of their L1Cs without throwing off feedback. On the other, they're just not throwing out as much volume as what the 30M is capable of.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Thanks for sharing that response. Not entirely reassuring!

On the one hand, I've seen soloists sitting in front of their L1Cs without throwing off feedback. On the other, they're just not throwing out as much volume as what the 30M is capable of.
Chris, I can't help but imagine you are a very nervous purchaser!
I'm not from the States, but I understand most music shops have a return policy in place if you don't like the system.
What's stopping you drin trying the unit out?
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-11-2020, 07:25 AM

Ha! You sound like a GC sales person! I would say patience is a virtue. I wouldn't consider someone as being "very nervous" to buy a product if that product had only been released a month ago. I think probably the responsible thing to do would be to wait for a few reviews, go to forums such as this and ask questions. Spend first ask questions later...?

In my case, I'll be selling my current system to $$ the 30m so I await some real life reviews..
Old 02-11-2020, 09:18 AM

I'm curious about the basis for the feedback concern in the 30M. Are there some known feedback issues with the 30M that I am unaware of? Has there been any feedback issues with the Evolve 50 that may also be a concern in the 30M? If so, is the issue with mic feedback or is it with acoustic guitar feedback?

I have a lot of feedback issues with my L1C. The sound from the sub interacts with the top of my Taylor guitar and I get low frequency feedback that I need to cut out with a notch filter.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post
I'm curious about the basis for the feedback concern in the 30M. Are there some known feedback issues with the 30M that I am unaware of? Has there been any feedback issues with the Evolve 50 that may also be a concern in the 30M? If so, is the issue with mic feedback or is it with acoustic guitar feedback?

I have a lot of feedback issues with my L1C. The sound from the sub interacts with the top of my Taylor guitar and I get low frequency feedback that I need to cut out with a notch filter.
First-paragraph Jim, allow me to introduce you to second-paragraph Jim.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:07 AM

Many of my gigs are super tight spaces and I must sit right in front of my unit. My L1M2 handles the issue brilliantly (I dont need to crank the volume to be heard all over the room) and when I play through my buddy's Fishman 220 he has the notch filter button which is perfect. I have read nothing about a notch filter on the 30m....just a box that needs to be checked
Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 AM

A little more info as I sus the skippy on this new unit.... The effects are global. 2 effects banks, what you choose for each bank runs on every channel...you decide the level. Several effects (reverb, echos, delays and chorus). You can download the mixer app on google play/Apple and run it in demo mode to get a feel.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:50 AM

That doesn't make sense. So if you plug your vocals into one channel and your guitar into another, you couldn't just have reverb on your vocals and delay on your guitar? But if you can mix the level, you could in effect have it "off" for one or the other, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
A little more info as I sus the skippy on this new unit.... The effects are global. 2 effects banks, what you choose for each bank runs on every channel...you decide the level. Several effects (reverb, echos, delays and chorus). You can download the mixer app on google play/Apple and run it in demo mode to get a feel.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
That doesn't make sense. So if you plug your vocals into one channel and your guitar into another, you couldn't just have reverb on your vocals and delay on your guitar? But if you can mix the level, you could in effect have it "off" for one or the other, right?
That is right. If you want reverb on your vox and guitar it will be the same type of reverb but you can choose the levels independently (not uncommon) If you want reverb only on your vox and delay only on guitar you would bank those EFX then mute the bank you choose not to use on the channel. This is what it looks like to me.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:42 AM

Maybe I'm not understanding this app correctly, but from the demo mode of the app on my iPhone, it looks like the reverb and delay effects are the only effects available on FX1 and the modulation and doubling effects the only effects available on FX2. So there is no way to put reverb on FX1 and delay on FX2.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:50 AM

When you first open the app, below the channels are the effects banks. Click on them and then scroll up and down to view all the different effects... Open app/edit mixer/below the channels tap on FX/tap on "FX 1" or "FX2" to view all the effect.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:29 PM

Another interesting tidbit... The evolve 50 speaker array works on the 30m... So the 30m can run the smaller sub with with the 50's 8 3.5" drivers... For what it's worth...
Old 02-16-2020, 10:54 AM

I went ahead and purchased the 30M this weekend. I set the system up in my living room on Friday night to get familiar with it. First I got familiar with the menu functionality on the mixer, then got familiar with the app. Both were very easy to use. I fact, I didn't even open the manual.

Then I used the 30M at an indoor farmers market gig (a gymnasium sized glass greenhouse structure attached to a Bachman's Floral). Although we have to keep the volume fairly low at this type of gig, it did sound wonderful. The sound carried evenly throughout the entire structure. Standing next to the column, it sounded very smooth. I turned the sub up a bit which added a fullness to my vocals and a nice bottom end to the low notes. I had to take a little bass off of my guitar, but it sounded the best I remember hearing it. I've only used the 30M at one live gig, but here's my takeaway:
1. The system seemed fairly easy to use for a digital mixer. I do have a lot of experience with various mixers, so I was able to find my way around without much trouble. I don't know how a novice would do navigating the menus if they are not familiar with things like aux sends, etc. It was very nice to be able to save all of my settings as a preset and recall them at the gig.
2. The channel gain/volume are combined into one input level setting. I'm not quite sure I understand or like this. I'm used to setting my gain level for optimal signal level and then adjust the volume as needed. This system just has an input level (kind of like a gain setting, but is also used for the channel level as well) so I'm not sure how they are setting the gain.
3. I played around with the effects a bit and they seemed ok, but lacked any control over setting parameters other then the mix amount. For the gig, I still used my external effects that I was used to. I didn't want to change too many pieces at once.
4. The vocals have more punch, similar to what I hear when using my QSC K10's. I had a lead guitarist with me and I felt that the vocals cut through the mix better than usual. The vocals are much more clear, but they do reveal your flaws.
5. The acoustic guitar sounds terrific, the best I've heard it sound. Everything sounds smooth and connected from the low frequencies to the highs. It doesn't have that missing middle frequency area that I noticed with my L1C and it seems to make the highs less sharp and brittle.
6. I was worried about the dispersion (going from 180 degrees with the L1C to 120 degrees with the 30M), but I didn't notice much of a difference. I set the column up to my side and slightly in front so that the speakers were out where my mic stand was, but off to my side. I could hear everything fine and in fact it seemed like I could hear the full frequency of the system even at that angle. I brought a monitor with just in case, but never had to turn it on.
7. I was also worried about the throw. I had the lead guitarist walk around the room to listen from various positions and apparently the sound carried vary well all the way to the back of the room.
8. I had no issues with feedback. I did have to keep the volume fairly low at the gig, but being that I was in a glass structure, I was surprised I didn't have some troubles. At home I turned the system up fairly loud for a living room, but had no troubles with feedback.
9. I think my lead guitarist summed it up best, the system is much more clear than the Bose L1C was and doesn't have the muddy lows.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:03 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience! Very helpful!
Old 02-16-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post
I went ahead and purchased the 30M this weekend. I set the system up in my living room on Friday night to get familiar with it. First I got familiar with the menu functionality on the mixer, then got familiar with the app. Both were very easy to use. I fact, I didn't even open the manual.

Then I used the 30M at an indoor farmers market gig (a gymnasium sized glass greenhouse structure attached to a Bachman's Floral). Although we have to keep the volume fairly low at this type of gig, it did sound wonderful. The sound carried evenly throughout the entire structure. Standing next to the column, it sounded very smooth. I turned the sub up a bit which added a fullness to my vocals and a nice bottom end to the low notes. I had to take a little bass off of my guitar, but it sounded the best I remember hearing it. I've only used the 30M at one live gig, but here's my takeaway:

1. The system seemed fairly easy to use for a digital mixer. I do have a lot of experience with various mixers, so I was able to find my way around without much trouble. I don't know how a novice would do navigating the menus if they are not familiar with things like aux sends, etc. It was very nice to be able to save all of my settings as a preset and recall them at the gig.

2. The channel gain/volume are combined into one input level setting. I'm not quite sure I understand or like this. I'm used to setting my gain level for optimal signal level and then adjust the volume as needed. This system just has an input level (kind of like a gain setting, but is also used for the channel level as well) so I'm not sure how they are setting the gain.

3. I played around with the effects a bit and they seemed ok, but lacked any control over setting parameters other then the mix amount. For the gig, I still used my external effects that I was used to. I didn't want to change too many pieces at once.

4. The vocals have more punch, similar to what I hear when using my QSC K10's. I had a lead guitarist with me and I felt that the vocals cut through the mix better than usual. The vocals are much more clear, but they do reveal your flaws.

5. The acoustic guitar sounds terrific, the best I've heard it sound. Everything sounds smooth and connected from the low frequencies to the highs. It doesn't have that missing middle frequency area that I noticed with my L1C and it seems to make the highs less sharp and brittle.

6. I was worried about the dispersion (going from 180 degrees with the L1C to 120 degrees with the 30M), but I didn't notice much of a difference. I set the column up to my side and slightly in front so that the speakers were out where my mic stand was, but off to my side. I could hear everything fine and in fact it seemed like I could hear the full frequency of the system even at that angle. I brought a monitor with just in case, but never had to turn it on.

7. I was also worried about the throw. I had the lead guitarist walk around the room to listen from various positions and apparently the sound carried vary well all the way to the back of the room.

8. I had no issues with feedback. I did have to keep the volume fairly low at the gig, but being that I was in a glass structure, I was surprised I didn't have some troubles. At home I turned the system up fairly loud for a living room, but had no troubles with feedback.

9. I think my lead guitarist summed it up best, the system is much more clear than the Bose L1C was and doesn't have the muddy lows.

Jim, what can you tell us about the weight, setup and the app control?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification