The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-07-2022, 04:18 PM

Important point to remember - it will only amplify that which you put into it, not what you wish would come out of it.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

I agree that one more combined input and a master volume would make this a perfect gigging system for most of us.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-10-2022, 04:48 PM

Big News! My S1 came back already. How is that for fast service?
Upon un-packing I found the letter of explanation. According to the service person who did the work (?) they checked everything in the unit, battery was fully charged and they were “unable to replicate the issue.” So I removed it from the box and it’s, well, still dead. So and I had a little chat regarding the difficulty. She read me a point by point of everything that was checked. After a bit of explanation I was able to have them understand that it was in exactly the same condition as when I sent it. No sound, no led light, no charge light and plugging it in to the wall socket had the same result. I also explained that if anyone was willing to try the switch they would have the same result as I got. It’s dead.
So…they sent me a return label, told me there would be no charges and they would fix whatever the difficulty might be…..
BUT THEY WERE FAST not fixing it and returning right away, so there is that.
It’s a different world out there folks…..
Old 05-10-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Upon un-packing I found the letter of explanation. According to the service person who did the work (?) they checked everything in the unit, battery was fully charged and they were “unable to replicate the issue.” So I removed it from the box and it’s, well, still dead. So and I had a little chat regarding the difficulty. She read me a point by point of everything that was checked. After a bit of explanation I was able to have them understand that it was in exactly the same condition as when I sent it. No sound, no led light, no charge light and plugging it in to the wall socket had the same result. I also explained that if anyone was willing to try the switch they would have the same result as I got. It’s dead.
So…they sent me a return label, told me there would be no charges and they would fix whatever the difficulty might be…..
WOW. Just WOW.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I hope that gets resolved soon, but after reading your original post, I went and checked mine (since they hadn’t been used in a month+) and found the exact same thing = no lights, no nothing. So I plugged them in, and checked them the next day, and both were (and continue to) work fine -

I’d suggest trying that - plug in, turned off, and wait an hour or two, then try again - hopefully it’ll work -
Old 05-11-2022, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
😂

Everyone here knows how I feel about Bose, their customer service, not admitting they rush released the S1 with beyond normal battery discharge…etc but people still adamantly defend any negative light shed on them. This just seals the deal. Absolutely never buying a Bose pa/speaker ever.

Don’t join the cult and drink the Kool-Aid folks - you’d be better off with a quality company like QSC with a CP8 and a lithium ion portable power station. Cheers!
Old 05-11-2022, 05:05 AM

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and choices.
There are good and bad experiences out there waiting for us in any product…any. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Sharing those experiences is useful. Categorizing owners and prospective purchasers with negative terminology…
…not so much.
P.S.A. Sweetwater gives you a free 2 year replacement or repair warranty on the Bose S1 as with many other products when you buy from them.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 05-11-2022 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:15 AM

For less than $300 I got a Jackery 400 portable power station that not only runs any amp I have, but also provides temporary power for phone, computer, tv, etc. during outages. While I do have a battery powered amp (Blackstar Super Fly) I have used on those infrequent occasions when I wanted or needed noise away from outlets, I think the portable power station is a better solution, because it allows you to use any amp you are already comfortable with.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:40 AM

Any remotely possible chance the power cord end that connects to the S1 may not be fully seated in connector? I had one amp that had a really tight fit for the amps power cord connection and it took a good amount of effort to ensure it was seated all the way to make a reliable connection.

You've likely seen the Bose's troubleshooting guide for no power. You've probably been there done all that......
https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/a.../article.html#
Old 05-11-2022, 08:12 AM

Different power cords, wall outlets, plugged in overnight, wiggling cords, pleading, promising no banjo or punk rock…..tried everything.

But….at this point….I don’t believe the Bose company is going to hell because there is a problem with my speaker. I have, over the years, had many of their products with perhaps two issues that were negative. And both issues were dealt with very quickly and to my satisfaction….

And they have let me know that they did not charge my card for the first ‘REPAIR’ nor would they charge me for this issue at all. My speaker has a problem, yes, and it’s a pain in, you know what, but it seems they are stepping up as well as anyone could expect a company to.

Perhaps they could hand deliver a new one to me today, but to be fair I never brought that up.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I’d suggest trying that - plug in, turned off, and wait an hour or two, then try again - hopefully it’ll work -
I leave mine plugged in all the time unless it leaves the house.

Which is rare lately.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-11-2022, 10:43 AM

Yes, I leave the other S1 plugged in most of the time. I have a gig tomorrow, but I DO have the L16 pro system. Really wanted to use both S1’s, but that will wait until the next time.
Wanting to use the two S1’s with the Beringher Flow 8 mixer…..🥲
Old 05-12-2022, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
For less than $300 I got a Jackery 400 portable power station that not only runs any amp I have, but also provides temporary power for phone, computer, tv, etc. during outages. While I do have a battery powered amp (Blackstar Super Fly) I have used on those infrequent occasions when I wanted or needed noise away from outlets, I think the portable power station is a better solution, because it allows you to use any amp you are already comfortable with.
That’s a great solution.
I have a Fishman Artist and could do that as well. The thing is, I bought my S1 for its versatility and I have a stand that it fits on nicely. Can’t do that with the Artist. The S1 weighs less and projects much better than the Artist.
Finally, I’m trying to eliminate more stuff to carry to a gig and set up, not add more. I’ve gone wireless microphone and guitars as well to eliminate cables.

My playing partner and I both have Artists but we opt for the S1 when we gig. It’s a better mousetrap in our opinion.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 05-12-2022 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

I followed this thread a lot while away for two months. I have two S1's and had one with me (which I used every few days so no problem there.... But the other one was kept with friends, not plugged in. When I got that one back a few days ago I had a few moments of angst as the battery was dead but now I know why thanks to this thread. Plugged it in, a weak blue light came on that alternated between almost not there to a very weak display.

Decided to NOT plug in a guitar and just left it charging for a couple hours. Finally, held my breath and tried it with battery only power. Yes!! Worked just fine so I plugged it back in and let it continue to charge overnight. Turning it on the next morning I got the comforting four flashes of a completely charged battery, woo hoo!

I have not used it for a gig yet so I'll be very interested to see if the fully charged battery lasts as long as it did before, which was at least four hours. FWIW, I check for software updates every few months, one of which REALLY improved the sound on my older unit about a year or so ago (I bought one of the first generation S1 Pro's almost immediately when they were introduced).

Being moderately inept at following directions on most electronics I'm sure glad I didn't have to go through the procedures listed earlier in this thread!

So don't neglect to download the latest software offered by Bose. I don't know if that's what saved me, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had something to do with it.....

Gene
Old 05-15-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post

I have not used it for a gig yet so I'll be very interested to see if the fully charged battery lasts as long as it did before, which was at least four hours. FWIW, I check for software updates every few months, one of which REALLY improved the sound on my older unit about a year or so ago (I bought one of the first generation S1 Pro's almost immediately when they were introduced).

Gene
Hi Gene, I've used the S1 for two 3 hour gigs one week apart and still had just about half the battery life left. I've been doing this with S1 for about two years. I don't chance it after the two gigs, then I recharge to full.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification